Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

An Irish Journal

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Two great reviews in a row. Might have to shell out for both of these.
    Thanks brother glad you liked them, and yeah I would highly recommend both if you come across them!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Well well well, look who is up to his old tricks again. Great reviews brother. Have had the Raegan when it was a pre release from a event here in Cali through catifsh, will definitely give it another run. The goldie I am intrigued by, the price tags on their special sticks are nothing to laught at though. thanks again for the reviews Brett.
  • Options
    armaes8armaes8 Posts: 279
    Irishman 90+ you did it again. I think you hit on all levels of what the Goldie offers. I agree with the construction. It is the closest thing to a perfect roll that you will come across. It makes me want one right now. Thank you for your valuable thoughts.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice review Brett...I found some of the flavors you got but have too say I really liked the #2 better. Not saying it's a bad stick at all though! I might have to go humi diving and dig up one to revisit now though
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    armaes8:
    Irishman 90+ you did it again. I think you hit on all levels of what the Goldie offers. I agree with the construction. It is the closest thing to a perfect roll that you will come across. It makes me want one right now. Thank you for your valuable thoughts.
    Thanks Antonio, glad you enjoyed it so much, thought the Goldie was just phenomenal :) Glad you liked the read and thanks for the feedback :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Nice review Brett...I found some of the flavors you got but have too say I really liked the #2 better. Not saying it's a bad stick at all though! I might have to go humi diving and dig up one to revisit now though
    I've yet to smoke the No. 2 but I do have one ready to go I just haven't lit one yet. I keep hearing it's better but I still maintain that the No. 5 is just exceptional!
  • Options
    Bombay:
    Well well well, look who is up to his old tricks again. Great reviews brother. Have had the Raegan when it was a pre release from a event here in Cali through catifsh, will definitely give it another run. The goldie I am intrigued by, the price tags on their special sticks are nothing to laught at though. thanks again for the reviews Brett.
    Thanks brother, they are mighty pricey but at least in the experiences that I've had with them, La Palina is one of the best and one of my fav maracas that is non-cc, so at least for me, I'd buy em (and do) regardless of price, I just buy them when I can afford me is all.
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Very nice review Brett. I have to stop reading these, they're making my want to try list way too long.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Great review. I still wish I had got in on the Goldie laguito 2 mad rush of box buys. All reviews I read point to the newer fat marca a not even living in the shadows of the original. I hate 50 plus rings so I'm not interested in buying even though chances where there for the new palina. Just wish they would find the tobacco and desire to roll the laguito 2 again.
  • Options
    ehehat:
    Very nice review Brett. I have to stop reading these, they're making my want to try list way too long.
    Lol guess I'm doing my job well enough at describing them then lmao! Glad you enjoyed thread Eric, thanks brother :)
  • Options
    blurr:
    Great review. I still wish I had got in on the Goldie laguito 2 mad rush of box buys. All reviews I read point to the newer fat marca a not even living in the shadows of the original. I hate 50 plus rings so I'm not interested in buying even though chances where there for the new palina. Just wish they would find the tobacco and desire to roll the laguito 2 again.
    And this is why I've had such a hard time bringing myself to light the only No. 2 I've got, is hearing just how spectacular it is. I absolutely fell in love with the no. 5, so if that one is just a shadows compared to the No. 2 then I will be in a bad spot when I determine that I MUST have a box of the no. 2's regardless of the cost lmao! Thanks for the response and read though Blurr, glad you enjoyed it and got something from it :)
  • Options
    Fuente Fuente Opus X Lost City

Size/Vitola: 7.5” X 38 rg Lancero
    Manufacturer: Arturo Fuente
    Time in Humidor: 2.5 years
    Blender: Carlito Fuente
    Wrapper: Dominican Habano grown at Chateau De La Fuente (aged 5 years Summer harvest)
    Binder/Filler: Dominican
    Sent by: Birthday present from my wife, March 2012
    Smoked: September 28th 2014

I received this gorgeous cigar as a birthday present from my wife over 2.5 years ago for my 24th birthday. Ever since then I have wanted to smoke it but just for the life of me haven’t been able to bring myself to put fire to it until now. This cigar has quite the interesting story behind it, the Actor and cigar lover Andy Garcia made a movie called The Lost City back in 2005 where he directed it as well as starred in it side by side with Dustin Hoffman and Bill Murray. A portion of the movie was filmed at Chateau De La Fuente, however when filming was taking place it was the off season and the main harvest had occurred shortly before so there was not going to be any tobacco fields that Garcia needed for his film. Since Garcia and Carlito are fairly close friends (from what I have read), Carlito planted a field in the off season of Summer so that the film could be made. When all was said and done Garcia helped to convince Carlito to use the unusual crop and after 5 years of aging the leaf, it became the Fuente Fuente Opus X Lost City. A portion of the proceeds of this cigar are sent to the Cigar Family Charitable Foundation that the Fuente family started and runs to better the Dominican Republic. Typically seen in only five vitolas; Robusto, Double Robusto, Toro, Piramide and Lancero. I have seen pictures of a Lost City Love Affair size but only pictures, never one in person.

Ok so backstory out of the way lets get this smoke under way already….

Pre-Light:
    The nose on this is nearly nonexistent, very mild but I do pick up some hay, mild cedar and a hint of honey. The Cigar is flawlessly constructed and has a solid feel with no soft spots and a beautiful colorado shaded wrapper that has a smooth and velvety feel to my hands. The lick is salty with some red pepper spice on the tip of your tongue, same story on the dry draw.

Lit at 1pm MDT. drinking small amounts of Coke to wet the palate.

The Lost City lights easily and immediately starts billowing smoke, and from the first draw I can tell I’m on a special journey with this smoke. The flavors start out from the first light and they are intense coming on like a freight train with one blending seamlessly into the next. A sweet black licorice with this strong blending of a caramelized raisin, butter with this sweet cream to a white pepper finish that lingers on the roof of my mouth. Every new puff has a subtle new nuance, but raisin, mar mallow (toasted), caramel and a sweet tobacco undertone…. WOOF what a profile and cigar! A new note of cashew shows up just about 1” in that really balances out the sweet notes and a pepper with a tang nuttiness to it that hits me just right.

With the first quarter of the List City being now past, the raisin and marshmallow really comes to the front of the profile and stays there growing. I wouldn’t quite call it balanced at this point since it is such a dominating note, but in this case I don’t mind since I absolutely LOVE these notes. I’ve only ever gotten these notes in a few cigars, and specifically the toasted marshmallow which is turning into one of my favorite profiles I find in a cigar, has been found for me in the La Palina Goldie Laguito No. 5 cigar. At this point the Lost City is starting to mellow out a bit and I’d put it in terms of strength at medium to medium-full with the same amount of spice on the retrohale, but the white pepper has slipped way back and is almost not even noticeable anymore. The wrapper when the ash falls for the first time around 2” in starts to peel back a bit but not badly and I don’t believe it will affect the burn at all. I only need to do a minor touch up on the burn but it is not truly necessary just something that I wanted to do for my OCD nature to make it perfectly straight. The Lost City keeps mellowing further as I smoke and gets to this medium and spicy sweet meaty core that rocks! The amount of smoke it puts out is impressive, reminiscent of the Liga Privada lines. The marshmallow has also calmed down a the “brightest” note switches at this point back to the caramelized raisin which is extremely satisfying.

Over halfway in and the profile has shifted to this butter cream and sweet toasted note, we also see a resurgence of the cashew that pairs perfectly at this point and makes for an extremely balanced and complex smoke. The second ash falls just shy of the 2” mark again, the construction and consistency of the Lost City is spectacular and makes for a really relaxing and enjoyable experience even without the phenomenal profile and gobs of smoke this thing is putting out. With the approach of the final third the strength starts to pick back up and heads towards the full mark, I’ver really really enjoyed this smoke even more than I expected I would (which was remarkably high).

As it comes to a close the lingering notes are caramelized raisin, cashew and spice… wishing that I had an entire box of these bad boys instead of just this one smoke. Memorable…. that is what sticks with me throughout this and lingers in my mind, memorable and sweet raisin. Couldn’t ask for more in a cigar!

End time: 3:15pm

Total Smoking Time: 2 hrs 15 min

Final Thoughts and Rating:

I smoked this at one of my local lounges, and smoking inside let me focus entirely on the cigar and made the incredible amounts of smoke even more noticeable. Every few puffs I would just stop and stare at this stick wondering where all of this flavor, these unique notes and gobs and gobs of smoke were coming from. This had a tremendous X factor for me and was exactly what I was wanting and looking for in such a special and rare smoke.

Balance: 10/10 I’ve had Opus X’s that were too young and unbalanced with their strength and spice, this was NOT the case. The notes were not always balanced with the strength but the notes themselves were so unique and perfect for my tastes in a cigar that for ME it was perfectly balanced.

Development: 10/10 Every single puff was different even if only slightly, there was always something new to pick up if you paid close enough attention. Couldn’t have developed more nor would I have wanted it to.

Construction: 8.5/10 I wanted to put this higher because the burn was stupendous and the draw was smooth and full with cool rich and dense smoke. But a small portion of the wrapper did start to separate and peel away about 1/3 in. It didn’t affect the smoke or the burn but its still not something I want to see in such an expensive cigar.

X-Factor: 10/10 Between the back story, the impressive looking bands, the gorgeous wrapper and knowing that I have been staring at this thing for over 2.5 years has built up an impressive expectation and this delivered on ALL fronts.

Pairing Recommendations: A complex and sweet dark rum I think would be best for something this spicy and sweet. Three personal recommendations I can offer would be Zaya, Ron Abuélo Centuria, Ron Zacapa 23 year. I also think that a milder bourbon could do well if done in moderation as to not overpower the Lost City. Something like Woodford Reserve, Angels Envy or some Old Weller Antique Reserve 107 proof.

Overall Cigar Score: 9.6/10 Strongly Recommend for a special and memorable smoke.

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Great review Brett! I have not had a lost city but now really want to try one! I've had the marsh mellow taste from a couple cigars and it's a really nice profile in any cigar. Anyways thanks for the review and now the search for a lost city
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Great review Brett! I have not had a lost city but now really want to try one! I've had the marsh mellow taste from a couple cigars and it's a really nice profile in any cigar. Anyways thanks for the review and now the search for a lost city
    Thabks Lee really appreciate that and I agree that marshmallow profile is brilliant when you can find it. So far I've only gotten it in this one and the La Palina Goldie Laguito No. 5, though FTG Brett swears he got it in the Jericho Hill he smoked when we herded the other day.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Where is the Raji review?
  • Options
    Rain:
    Ah hellllll no lol
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Rain:
    Ah hellllll no lol
    Wouldn't take that long right?
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    90+ Irishman:
    Rain:
    Ah hellllll no lol
    Wouldn't take that long right?
    I'm not sure, I could easily see it taking many paragraphs to properly describe the acrid funk and foulness that was the Raji and several more paragraphs relating to other heinous and disgusting substances I've come across over the years.
  • Options

Necro Post time, bringing this back from the dead to do a few short reviews for two cigars I had last night by the grace of Dennis and Ryan, two amazing BOTL @dennisking and @Ryan1990

La Barba Red - Petite Lancero 6” x 38rg

Gifted to me by Dennis King @dennisking

La Barba is spanish translating to meaning “The Beard” and has a very unique and visually appealing band incorporating a straight razor. The company La Barba was founded in 2010 by Tony Bellatto and Craig Rossi and was made at the Wynwood Cigar Factory by Robert Caldwell and distributed by them as well. I found an excerpt on the origins of this cigar and information about it directly from Tony Bellatto on the Leaf Enthusiast website found here (http://www.leafenthusiast.com/cigar-review-red-la-barba/) and says the following: The country of origin for the “red” is Honduras. And the wrapper on the cigar is Julio Eiroa’s Corojo high priming. The binder is the same. The filler however is part of the same Honduran Corojo ligero as well as Nicaraguan habano and Nicaraguan Pele de Oro. I am still working with Robert. Caldwell He and I have the impromptu brand together and he is also doing the fulfillment for La Barba. He is one of my best friends and we work really well together. I am currently making the La Barba “purple” in the Dominican Republic at Tabacalera William Ventura (same as Caldwell).”

Sadly the La Barba Red is no longer able to be purchased and is not something I would be able to smoke again most likely, which really is a shame as this was a truly remarkable cigar! As it turns out, the La Barba Red that I smoked was an original release from 2013 with 3 years of age on it! 

Construction: 10/10 Perfect draw and burn that is razor sharp through the entire length, with an oily and velvety wrapper that held up well throughout the entire smoking experience.

Taste: 10/10 The La Barba starts off sweet and spicy within the first few puffs even while lighting, its a flavor bomb and really starts making me salivate from the very get go with creamy dry notes. Cream and sweet spice is the name of the game here, with bright highlights of dried figs and cedar. This is a highly complex cigars with layers of depth and subtle nuances that make it challenging to pick up everything that is going on, but extremely enjoyable to try! Further in the La Barba turns sweeter with unique and rare to me notes of lemon citrus and honey with a sweet spice through the nose and hints of cinnamon. Around the halfway mark a muskiness shows up that reminds me of some of my favorite notes in many of my Davidoff experiences that I really enjoy, there is a floral complexity and flavor mixed with the sweet spice and honey lemon citrus. Joining the fray towards the end and building to a wonderful crescendo is a toasted marshmallow and graham cracker luxury that completely wraps up and balances all of the layers of flavor that this impressive cigar delivers!

Overall Impression: 10/10 This was an amazing cigar, highly complex and a flavor bomb with highly unusual notes and flavors. Highlights included lemon and honey, toasted graham cracker and marshmallow with floral bright tones. This was an extremely memorable cigar with a perfect burn, construction and draw… overall just ****!

Brett
  • Options

My Father S Special “Red Label” - Robusto 5” x 50rg

Gifted to me by Ryan S @Ryan1990

This is an old cigar and a very beloved favorite of mine that I last had in December of 2013 at the Chicago Ccom Xmas Herf thanks to Jeremy @Glock1975, now I get to revisit this after an incredibly generous gesture by Ryan @Ryan1990 who sent me four of these when he heard about how much I loved them! It is rumored that this was blended to be reminiscent of the very first Limited Edition DPG ever did, the original El Centurion back in 2006. This S Special is from February 2011 and comes with 5+ years of age on them, truly a well rested and special occasion stick with an Ecuadorian Habano Rosdao wrapper and Nicaraguan fillers. I have as I said had this cigar once before and it was quite the exceptional treat and I was very excited to have it again 3 years later and see how it had changed!

Construction: 10/10 There are well constructed cigars and then there are perfect cigars where everything including the presentation of the wrapper is top notch. This is the latter, the draw was just a hair tight which allowed for huge smoke production, the ash held for 2” and the burn was razor sharp, nothing could be asked more from this and with most DPG sticks this was a stand out!

Taste: 9.5/10 This started off with the classic DPG pepper and spice blast right up front kick you in the teeth and like it begging for more! Within the first 1/4” though it settles down noticeably with creamy and spicy cedar, red pepper on the retrohale and an old oiled leather with bright nutty citrus finish, lighter than I expected and not quite medium bodied yet and is just sublime! As it progresses further into it, I see the S Special the palate advances and evolves into something even better; a creamy chewy leather and vanilla nut bomb with cashews, honey and molasses turning this into a leathered nutty creamy candy bar rich and decedent! The S Special finishes at a medium with lighter tones of citrus and nutty cream with a lighter aged leather, very very delicious!

Overall Impression: 9.5/10 This was an outstanding cigar, very complex with great depth and flavor! The construction was excellent with a perfect draw and razor sharp burn. I really really enjoyed this one and it was very well balanced and rich and luxurious to smoke, a real treat and easily just as good if not better than I remembered, thank you Ryan!

Brett

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Wow, almost two years since the last post. Necro post indeed. I had forgotten that these were in conjunction with Belatto, Eiora, and Caldwell at the Wynwood factory. 
    I'm glad you enjoyed this little gem. 
  • Options
    Wow, almost two years since the last post. Necro post indeed. I had forgotten that these were in conjunction with Belatto, Eiora, and Caldwell at the Wynwood factory. 
    I'm glad you enjoyed this little gem. 
    LOL yeah it really has been that long since I did a review, a bit rusty but hope it reads ok and not too choppy. I really did enjoy this one, will make sure to do a small write up like this on every single cigar you sent, planning on lighting up another one soon here :)

Brett
  • Options
    Anyone have a request from these 5 on what gets smoked and written up next?

Brett
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hammer and Sickle. I like them a lot. I already know the Satori is a winner in my book. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Hammer and Sickle. I like them a lot. I already know the Satori is a winner in my book. 
    That's a great stick that I haven't had in years and should fit great tonight so you got it, in case you weren't aware it's a Kelner blend :)

Brett
  • Options
    The Churchill's seem to be the stick of choice, but I like the Robusto's a lot. The darn glass box they come in weighs about 10lbs lol. 

I have yet to try the Moscow Series. I have had others say they enjoy them as well.

Enjoy the smoke.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Thanks Rod, haven't seen the box they come in sounds interesting lol, and agree that I tend to smoke the robos the most but this will be the first churchill that I will try in the line. I have yet to try the Moscow series though its one I am keenly interested in since I have had so much luck with the Tradition series. I do have a TVER tubo from Steve I could do instead tonight... hmmmm maybe stay with Hammer and Sickle but go TVER? Whaddya think @miller65rod ?

Brett
  • Options
    Your smoking it so make the call. I think the Churchill will surprise you if that is what you have on hand. (Hard to tell in the pic, looks like a Churchy) Either way your gonna have an enjoyable smoke.

BTW nice reviews I enjoy reading them. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    BTW here is a pic of the box. Solid glass. It weighs a ton. 
    $_1.jpg 14.2K
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Thanks Rod appreciate it, will see what it strikes me when I am getting ready to sit down, either way will enjoy the hell outta it! You going to be on Vherf tonight?

Brett