Home Non Cigar Related

.22LR Ammo

Went to try and buy some yesterday and everyone was out of stock. Out of the five places I went, there was very little ammo on stock and I was told it would be about a year before things returned to normal. I tried online and everyone is out also. Does anyone have an idea of how I can get some, or maybe even trade some for cigars?

Comments

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Rammer13:
    Went to try and buy some yesterday and everyone was out of stock. Out of the five places I went, there was very little ammo on stock and I was told it would be about a year before things returned to normal. I tried online and everyone is out also. Does anyone have an idea of how I can get some, or maybe even trade some for cigars?
    Give Wayne La Pierre a call. Or better yet, offer a ridiculous price for it on craigs list. Some idiot who stockpiled 50,000 rounds will probably let go of a few boxes at the right price.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Rammer13:
    Give Wayne La Pierre a call. Or better yet, offer a ridiculous price for it on craigs list. Some idiot who stockpiled 50,000 rounds will probably let go of a few boxes at the right price.
    He may be the idiot, but he has the 50,000 rounds that everyone wants.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I may have a spare box. Let me check. I will check at cabellas next week as well.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Check out SGAmmo.com. I've been buying 7.62x39 by the thousand-round count on there, at about $0.30 per round. They seem to put up their ammo at night, so just keep the laptop with you while you watch TV and refresh every few minutes

Buy some, sell what you don't want at a gunshow or gunbroker for double the cost per round you paid. Profit.

EDIT: Gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=.22lr

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rammer13:
    crazy, isn't it? Five dollar brick of plinking rounds can't be found. Nuts!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Rammer13:
    crazy, isn't it? Five dollar brick of plinking rounds can't be found. Nuts!
    No one does mass panic like we do. Goes back to herd mentality. Cool if you're making a few bucks off of it like Macro said, I guess. Hope those who are hoarding it are storing it properly. .22 rounds especially don't store very well.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet you could get some ammo if you apply for a job with DHS .... I hear they have plenty to go around.......
    Supreme high leader Janet Napolitano is buying up 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition for her gestapo,,,, errr I mean agency.

But seriously, no idea --- everywhere around here is sold out of everything, guns, ammo, etc.
    New Cabellas store opened up here last week and there were people camped out a couple days before so they could be the first ones in ---- lots of people looking to buy guns and ammo.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Only thing I've been able to find is Aquila Super Quiet on cheaperthandirt.com. No powder, fires off the primer only, single shot since it won't cycle a semi-auto. Blah...
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SGAmmo.com prices are gouging ridiculous. Ammo is out there. You just have to be vigilant and check and check and check. Every time you drive by a store that has ammo go in and check. I have friends who find cases of ammo in the middle of the day at Bass Pro or Cabellas. Walmart usually puts theirs out early morning. ***'s (Knee Jerk Reaction Aholes) Sporting Goods gets trucks in on Wednesday and Friday mornings. They do not always have ammo but if you are there at 9 AM when they open you can get it. Check your local forearm dealers. All the small shops here in my metro have ammo. There is no need to be paying $1 a round for 223/5.56. It is out there just don't panic.
  • Rammer13Rammer13 Posts: 21
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I was told it would be about a year before we see .22LR ammo on the shelf's. I will constantly check in stores and online. Thank you for everyone's suggestions.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I have most of a gross of blazers I'll sell you for... one miiiiiiiiillion dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DJtHL3NV1o
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    jsnake:
    SGAmmo.com prices are gouging ridiculous. Ammo is out there. You just have to be vigilant and check and check and check. Every time you drive by a store that has ammo go in and check. I have friends who find cases of ammo in the middle of the day at Bass Pro or Cabellas. Walmart usually puts theirs out early morning. ***'s (Knee Jerk Reaction Aholes) Sporting Goods gets trucks in on Wednesday and Friday mornings. They do not always have ammo but if you are there at 9 AM when they open you can get it. Check your local forearm dealers. All the small shops here in my metro have ammo. There is no need to be paying $1 a round for 223/5.56. It is out there just don't panic.
    I've no idea if their prices for .22 or 5.56 are reasonable or not, since I don't shoot those calibers, but SGAmmo has the lowest prices of anyone I've found on 7.62x39, usually around $0.30 a round. Everyone else wants something like $0.40 a round or, more commonly, $0.60 a round.

http://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo is also a great resource for finding ammo; there's a deal up there now, 500 rounds of 5.56 for $330/$0.65 a round

• It's horrible isn't it? I bought a case in November for $169 and since then the place I ordered from has not got any in stock but the price has moved up to $199 anyways. I bought a case knowing I live in a rural area and would shoot plenty in the summer when it warmed up. I'd trade some but not being sure when I can get more I'm holding on to what I got. This run on ammo has been incredible, hopefully everyone is right when they talk about being caught up by the end of the year.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Finally saw this first hand in Walmart last night. Went over to the gun section. They had some 12 gauge, 20 gauge, .410, and some 7mm. That was it. I stepped up to the counter to look at ammo. The sales rep glanced at me, saw I was looking at ammo and went back to reading her book. That's pretty ridiculous.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    I bet you could get some ammo if you apply for a job with DHS .... I hear they have plenty to go around.......
    Supreme high leader Janet Napolitano is buying up 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition for her gestapo,,,, errr I mean agency.

But seriously, no idea --- everywhere around here is sold out of everything, guns, ammo, etc.
    New Cabellas store opened up here last week and there were people camped out a couple days before so they could be the first ones in ---- lots of people looking to buy guns and ammo.
    lol, no kidding. I hate that damn agency. reminds me of the early beginnings of the gestapo or the "fingers" from V.

I bought a case of .223 at the gunshow recently. About 16cents a shell. Got a good deal on it. I heard by the end of the show they were out though. Funny cuz last spring I went and it was the last day there was plenty to go around.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    jsnake:
    I've no idea if their prices for .22 or 5.56 are reasonable or not, since I don't shoot those calibers, but SGAmmo has the lowest prices of anyone I've found on 7.62x39, usually around $0.30 a round. Everyone else wants something like $0.40 a round or, more commonly, $0.60 a round.

http://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo is also a great resource for finding ammo; there's a deal up there now, 500 rounds of 5.56 for $330/$0.65 a round

...pssh, just go to Somalia or any crappy country. There's tons of 7.62's around ... though you might have to do some negotiating with militias or go all Rambo on them. Then you just have to figure on how to get it back here or sell it. Though in the end it would be more than 60 cents a shell. But we all have options.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    jsnake:

http://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo is also a great resource for finding ammo; there's a eal up there now, 500 rounds of 5.56 for $330/$0.65 a round

That is a decient 7.62 price actually. Their 223/5.56 was way too high in my opinion. I like to be at or under $0.50 a round for 223/5.56. Their prices could be due to their suppliers. You know how all of that works. I will keep checking and see if they throw out any deals. Appreciate the link.