Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

This Day In UnHistory Contest

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
What two important events in unhistory transpired one year ago this week?

Last week I spotted someone refer to his thousandth post, took a peek at my own count, and voila: 1066. My kilopost snuck right past me. I was probably too busy reviling JDH or worshipping Kuzi or reviewing an uppercrust uppowoc cylinder someone had bombed me, or just generally spewing sarcastic stream of consciousness prose. Anyhoo, I missed it.

Of course, 1066 put me in mind of the year Harold Godwinson took an arrow in his eye on Senlac hill, back in those beknighted days when potentates actually had skin in the game. That there's history. Consequences of history linger. This day, for instance, made four letter Saxon words nasty. It's why *** and *** and *** are filtered by forum software, while excrement and coitus and **** are not.

So at first I reckoned to wait until post 1210, the next famous day in British history, when the barons forced John to promise not to punish any free man without trial. This Magna Carta is taught in school as the first constitutional limits on regal power. That's history. Problem is, I'd need 143 posts to reach that number, by which time I'd be distracted streaming sarcasm again and that dang number would sneak right past me.

Luckily, unhistory came to my rescue. A mere 34 years after that unlucky arrow, in 1100, Henry Beauclerk had to sign a Charter of Liberties, promising not to sell bishoprics or steal dowries and let people marry who they want, or else his nobles and prelates wouldn't have let him climb up on the throne. This was well and truly the first in a long series of contracts between English speaking peoples and their rulers. Craploads of Wat Tylers laid their heads on the block in the process. This is how our forebears replaced the rule of power which applies everywhere else with the rule of law which is our peculiar birthright. A long series of emancipations regrettably in rapid retreat today. But nobody remembers the C of L, which makes it unhistory; even though the consequences of unhistory equally linger, so that the C of L led directly to the MC.

Well, one year ago this week, third week of March, also marks important unhistory. Do you know what happened? These events dove-tail so neatly with 1100 and 1210 and Wat Tyler and Habeus Corpus and all those centuries of struggle now being systematically undone, that I adjusted my aim, bided my 34 posts, and here we are, third week of March, at post number 1100, year of the unfamous Charter of Liberties.

So here's what I want you to do. One simple rule: No cheating with google or wikipedia or such not. Be on your BOTL honor to scratch your own head on this. Just tell me what two remarkable unhistorical events consonant with this theme started and ended this third week of March just one year ago among English speaking peoples. First one to name them both gets a fiver of aptly named Alec Bradley Black Market Filthy Hooligan Cigars.

Yep. It's all going to dovetail together, from conquest to beauclerk to black market hooligan, once we see the answer.

Who's in?

http://laterdude.com

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    U have me stumped, without looking it up I have no clue.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    It was over 80 degrees in Michigan last year and the wife turned 28 years old. Those are both pretty unhistorical. Other then that, I'm with Ray. You got me.
  • Options
    Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    Im lost you tell us..
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    No clue, but I just want to say I love reading your posts. And also just wanted to say NORMANS RULE!!

But I'll take a total stab in the dark nonetheless:

Appointment of new US Supreme Court justice
    Some kind of big European Union decision or some such
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife was pregnant and it was the last time I got any action. I smoked a gurkha that didn't have a burn issue?
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Battle of Hastings and...wait, that's all I got. F***.This hurts me because I love history.EDIT - Wait, I thought we were doing 1066. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I survived the Bubonic plague and became rich when I invented the hamster wheel.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Has to have something to do with St Patty's day.....hmmmm, how about Savannah dyed the river green and a lot of people died of alcohol poisoning....no wait, they do that every year! I'm helpless without wikipedia, dangit!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, since the Habeaus corpus act was supposedly linked to the Magna Carta (according to the college professors and what not), I'd have to go with the signing of the Magna Carta and Habeaus Corpus act (how ever it's spelled).
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    I am unimpressed. Undoubtedly the unevents of unhistory go unnoticed more than I unticipated. Here's un unsinuation:

The protagonists in each event are mulattoes, although the events themselves are rather related to fascism than racism.

More hints later today if necessary. That don't work I'm breaking out the wiki. Gotta wrap this up by tomorrow, cause that's the unniversary of the week in question.

Un believable.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    I'll guess the Supreme Court hears Obamacare and the second one involves AG Eric Holder in some way.
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
  • Options
    Okay this is going nowhere fast. One of the things about having the kind of mind where ideas are constantly popping up is that after sixty five years you have to be able to recognize when a bad idea popped up and move on.

So I am going to cancel this contest off and start a brand new one of a completely different sort.

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Okay this is going nowhere fast. One of the things about having the kind of mind where ideas are constantly popping up is that after sixty five years you have to be able to recognize when a bad idea popped up and move on.

So I am going to cancel this contest off and start a brand new one of a completely different sort.

Your game, cancel it if you will, but give us the answers man. To not do so would just be torture.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:

I don't think it was a bad idea, just that some of us had a little bit of a hard time understanding the question and how it was presented.

To be honest, I wasn't quite certain what the question was, so I went with what I thought you were getting at.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We were UNsuccessful..... Ha!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    President Obama filled out his NCAA Tournament Bracket card and Hug Chavez went to Cuba to get cancer treatment. Definitely now as newsworthy as the Battle of Hastings.