Home General Discussion
Options

Gray's Cooler (pics)

Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know there's about 20 cooler threads... so what's one more??

Coleman, 120 qt. Rated for 5 days, $54.88. image

Clean it out

Knee-highs for my beads, $0.33 for 2. I bought 5 I think.

Crystal kitty litter, 4 lbs $4.17

Fill the socks image

repeat...

Unfortunately, the UPS guy decided I need to sign for my cigars, so I dont get em till monday. Fart. Empty cooler until then
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Options

Done! Now let it sit
    Total cost: $65.04! Look on wife's face when I said I want Kitty litter and a giant cooler, priceless.
  • Options
    C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick up! I here ya on the wife, mine loved helping me move the dresser to make room for the cooler.
  • Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    C-LOVE:
    Nice pick up! I here ya on the wife, mine loved helping me move the dresser to make room for the cooler.
    I sense a bit of sarcasm... lol
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Awesome cooler size, and congrats on the move to the big time storage. I'm using the Walmart Mimi for 3 months now to replace heartfelt 70s that picked up a musty odor from summertime basement storage for my humis. Just from experience, they like to settle at 65rh with little work. I like 67 but they hold 65 all day. Seems in my experience that's what they truly hold. Let us know how it goes, and more pics please.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good! Keep us up to date. I think I'm going to convert over to kitty litter as well from beads and Boveda packs. Thanks
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man, tak e the empty cooler pic down now bro, u will b in trouble if ya don't, I learned the hard way. Lol
  • Options
    I will definitely update as the KL settles in to a stable RH. 65% sounds about perfect. I've beem using 65 beads in my humidors.

Lol! I didnt think of the empty cooler! Come monday, I will have a few AVOs and Camachos to throw in and maybe a few singles to give my humidors some breathing room.
  • Options
    Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    WOW a 120 qt target primed for a carpet bombing mission lol.....
  • Options

So, coolidor was pretty stable at 59-60rh, I spritzed the beads a little more and threw in some humicare packs earlier to help out. I also bought a few discount la aroma de cuba lanceros today and asked for the empty box, so that's in there too!

I figure the rh is a little low because it's empty (nothing to hold moisture) so I threw in a few sticks. 5 V Miamis, my rocky 2nds, a few LHCOF's, AF hemmingways, and some undercrown singles... my humidors should appreciate not being so packed now.

Will check humidity again tonight!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking good Gray. Where'd you get the litter at?
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Looking good Gray. Where'd you get the litter at?
    Everyhing at Walmart! (In barboursville) almost didnt spot it. They have it on the end of the shelf. Seems to be working great. Cooler at 62rh last I checked.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm , I'm in there all the time ill have to look next time.
  • Options
    How did u get the litter wet, I have the same kind of litter and I just put them in Tupperware bowls and water it that way, but may switch to this.
  • Options
    Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    How did u get the litter wet, I have the same kind of litter and I just put them in Tupperware bowls and water it that way, but may switch to this.
    Yes i agree. Curious about that as well?? Thinking of going KL but doesnt it CLUMP up?? idk help a noob out here..
  • Options
    Medic45:
    Glock1975:
    Yes i agree. Curious about that as well?? Thinking of going KL but doesnt it CLUMP up?? idk help a noob out here..
    Not hard at all. I filled the nylon socks with dry litter poured right out of the back. Then, once they were filled and stretched out enough, I tie the end. I have a little water spray-bottle full of distilled water that I hold the nozzle right up to the filled sock and spray. Depending on how dry, 3-10 sprays. It does not clump or stick together.

I like the sock method, as you cannot spill the litter. Also, you can lay it right in a humidor on the wood; it will not leak water if you do not over-spray. Just spritz the top and let em sit!
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Medic45:
    Glock1975:
    Not hard at all. I filled the nylon socks with dry litter poured right out of the back. Then, once they were filled and stretched out enough, I tie the end. I have a little water spray-bottle full of distilled water that I hold the nozzle right up to the filled sock and spray. Depending on how dry, 3-10 sprays. It does not clump or stick together.

I like the sock method, as you cannot spill the litter. Also, you can lay it right in a humidor on the wood; it will not leak water if you do not over-spray. Just spritz the top and let em sit!
    Cool thanks for the help, I will have to try it, I have about 8 small containers filled with litter and I just pour the water in them, I would rather do it your way, with a couple.
  • Options
    I had been using an empty coffin full of beads in my small desktop humi, but I always seemed to spill them. The socks prevent that, but also make re-wetting easier (just spray up close) , and more surface area for the beads/KL to work. If they are in a dish, only the top layer can regulate humidity, if they are in a sock, the whole outer layer can absorb/release humidity.

when building the cooler, I placed socks in both my humidors as well, and got rid of the coffin in the smaller humi.