Home Non Cigar Related
Options

2013 NFL Draft / Free Agency

The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
Surprised by the Wes Welker move to Denver.. Guess the falling out was bigger than I thought. Wes was the best receiver that NE had,, I dont think Amendola is going match up.
Another move that is the buzz, is Percy Harvin and Seattle .. WOW,, Looks like Seahawks are gonna be "tryin" to make a run this upcomin season.
I hope the 49ers sign Charles Woodson! They can definately use some help in the secondary

Comments

• Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Also I found Jennings leaving Green Bay and landing in Minnesota interesting. Trading to teams in your division can come back and bite your *** Can't wait for the Seahawks/Niners battles. Both teams are loading up and not **** around. Lot of good teams in the NFC for next season and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10-6 team miss the wild card
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty happy with what the Colts did. Help where they needed it. They did overpay on a couple of the players, but that's what you do in FA, and they didn't overpay in a way that will kill future cap room.

The Welker move may be the best value in the signing period to date.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Meanwhile......... AT Texas Stadium............................

photo photo.jpg
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Welker to Denver. That's gonna be ridiculous! Two small guys that can scorch you and two big guys that can over power you, all with a legendary QB. That's gonna be fun to watch this year.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    seattle has been tearing it up this offseason....defense getting better...whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? yup better, and a WR to go with the lil guy.... watch out people...here come the hawks
  • Options
    Looks like the Raiders are pickin up Flynn from Seattle,, Man thats a great deal for the Raiders!!! as far as QB deals go, I just cant understand the Romo deal,, 6 year 108 million, 55 million guaranteed!??????? WTF?????? I just dont get it
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Looks like the Raiders are pickin up Flynn from Seattle,, Man thats a great deal for the Raiders!!! as far as QB deals go, I just cant understand the Romo deal,, 6 year 108 million, 55 million guaranteed!??????? WTF?????? I just dont get it
    ya i dont get it either
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Another instance of Jerry Jones' complete inability to scout his own team. It's hard to say this as a Redskins fan but, Romo is better than he is typically given credit for. I think he's better than Flacco, older but better. That being said they just paid him like he's top 3. He's not even Top 5 IMO though he's close.

Romo is not the most clutch QB in the NFL but neither is Manning and we're arguing if he's the best ever. Before someone jumps down my throat, I'm talking about clutch when the season is on the line, in the playoffs. Both Romo and Manning have led comebacks in the regular season. Neither of them have shown an aptitude for doing so in the playoffs. The difference is the Manning is so damned intelligent, consistent and talented he can do enough without the need to comeback. Romo has yet to show that he can. And I mean Peyton Manning, Eli may very well be the worst QB in history to win multiple Super Bowls.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Poopy Jones:
    Also I found Jennings leaving Green Bay and landing in Minnesota interesting. Trading to teams in your division can come back and bite your *** Can't wait for the Seahawks/Niners battles. Both teams are loading up and not **** around. Lot of good teams in the NFC for next season and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10-6 team miss the wild card
    It happened to the Bears this year Godd@mn it!!!! And some of us still havent recovered.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Maddy.....you are spot on with Romo. I have NEVER understood the hate for him by so many. Granted, I am not a Cowboys fan and could care less for the man....however, he puts up numbers as good as any elite QB in the league and he has a running game. He has bad games---everyone does. And how much blame can he have when a defense doesnt live up to potential or injuries decimate a team?

Also, why no one ever talks about Peyton being a choke artist is something I would love to discuss on another thread sometime perhaps.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    The Kid:
    Another instance of Jerry Jones' complete inability to scout his own team. It's hard to say this as a Redskins fan but, Romo is better than he is typically given credit for. I think he's better than Flacco, older but better. That being said they just paid him like he's top 3. He's not even Top 5 IMO though he's close.

Romo is not the most clutch QB in the NFL but neither is Manning and we're arguing if he's the best ever. Before someone jumps down my throat, I'm talking about clutch when the season is on the line, in the playoffs. Both Romo and Manning have led comebacks in the regular season. Neither of them have shown an aptitude for doing so in the playoffs. The difference is the Manning is so damned intelligent, consistent and talented he can do enough without the need to comeback. Romo has yet to show that he can. And I mean Peyton Manning, Eli may very well be the worst QB in history to win multiple Super Bowls.
    Not sure about Romo being better than Flacco, and I dont think much of Flacco. I would compare Romo to Phillip Rivers..Tony Romo can throw one of the most amazing touch passes Ive ever seen then on the next play throw the ball right to the DB. He has to be one of the, if not the most inconsistent QB in the league.. The reason I say this, is beacause his highs are sooo high but his lows are soooo low,, Its like two different guys. He's been that way season after season. The Cowboys keep hanging with him and he keeps doing the same thing.. I wouldnt put it on his line either,, however they do need a better running game. I guess I just expect more from America's Team. I'm sorry to say Dallas needs a new QB!!! I bet 9 out of 10 Texans would agree. It would of been great to see Alex Smith go there instead of KC.
  • Options
    I think Romo is solid, but not exceptional. Worth the price? No. I think Flacco benefited from soft coverage and lucky catches in the playoffs this year. Against both the Colts and Broncos as well as in the Super Bowl, there were defensive miscues leaving open receivers, and his receivers made some catches that I half expected them to drop. He's not worth the paycheck, either.

Now, to my team, the Colts. They're putting together an unheralded group of free agents who might work out really nicely for this team. The Darrius Heyward-Bey signing should work out well for both parties. I sure hope some of his consistency issues are because he played for the Raiders and not because of, well, him.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I'm so stoked we got a cheeseburger for Palmer...completely stoked...

Martel, his hands are not the best, and he is a good vertical route runner really. The guy is a good number 2, but he was going to get paid 8mil. I honestly thought he would excel with Palmer, but that was a trainwreck. He seemed to do well stretching the field then sitting on routes. He will be just fine in Indy, and is a steal at what you are paying him IMO.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    Maddy.....you are spot on with Romo. I have NEVER understood the hate for him by so many. Granted, I am not a Cowboys fan and could care less for the man....however, he puts up numbers as good as any elite QB in the league and he has a running game. He has bad games---everyone does. And how much blame can he have when a defense doesnt live up to potential or injuries decimate a team?

Also, why no one ever talks about Peyton being a choke artist is something I would love to discuss on another thread sometime perhaps.
    Peyton is a choke machine... He's just so damn talented he had to win one. His brother on the other hand is much more reliable when the game is on the line IMO. I'd much rather take Eli, and build a bruiser.
  • Options
    The Kid:
    I'm happy with him. I really think either him or Pryor will work out this year and become a starter for us. If not, we draft a QB next year when the field is a bit better then this year. That tells me we weren't sold on Geno, and will either take another QB lower like Dysert, or wait till next year. Either way, I am very happy to have Flynn adn get rid of Palmer. Sorry to any AZ fans, he's a blue ball QB.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    I'm so stoked we got a cheeseburger for Palmer...completely stoked...

Martel, his hands are not the best, and he is a good vertical route runner really. The guy is a good number 2, but he was going to get paid 8mil. I honestly thought he would excel with Palmer, but that was a trainwreck. He seemed to do well stretching the field then sitting on routes. He will be just fine in Indy, and is a steal at what you are paying him IMO.
    Yah, that's what I thought. He was drafted the year before they set rookie pay, so he was overpaid compared to what guys are getting now. With his drops, he needs to prove he can be consistent with some consistency around him. Indy is the place for that. He'll play with Luck and Wayne, and if he can put up some numbers, might be able to get a good payday next year.

And this P. Manning talk kind of hurts. I still don't consider him a choke artist. I'm not an apologist; he hasn't always played his best in the playoffs. But, I can lay the blame for many of his playoff losses in Indy squarely at the feet of others before I'd point a finger his direction. From Vanderjagt to Mr. Kendra, or a freakin' punter from SD having the best single-game display of kicking I've ever heard about. Things happen and it's a team sport. I'll give him his share of the blame, but no more. And if you're a Denver fan, do you really blame him for that loss, or do you look to one play from your secondary? Would you rather have Tebow back? Wait, don't answer that, I'm afraid of the response I might get.

• Options
    Oak fan bro ;)
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Oak fan bro ;)
    I gathered. I was using "you" in a non-specific rhetorical manner. I didn't mean to imply anything that would disgrace Raider Nation. Your owner does enough of that for you. ;)

• Options
    Martel:
    catfishbluezz:
    Oak fan bro ;)
    I gathered. I was using "you" in a non-specific rhetorical manner. I didn't mean to imply anything that would disgrace Raider Nation. Your owner does enough of that for you. ;)
    if you haven't noticed, our new owner is doing a much better job. I am thoroughly impressed with the current regime, even though I expect another basement season.
  • Options
    seattle...d line again.... watch out people... muahahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Martel:
    catfishbluezz:
    Oak fan bro ;)
    if you haven't noticed, our new owner is doing a much better job. I am thoroughly impressed with the current regime, even though I expect another basement season.
    Sometimes you have to be down a while before you can get back up again. Davis was downright nuts near the end, but he was a model owner for a period. His players seemed to have loved him. Coaches may be a different story.

I had one of those electric football table games that you turned on and it vibrated to make the players move. I always played as the Raiders...I had to check and make sure the other team was the Skins because I wasn't sure. The teams were the two from the previous Super Bowl. I loved Bo Jackson, too. I'm not going to say I'm a Raiders fan, or anything, but I do think it's a pretty cool franchise legacy to be a part of.

• Options
    The Kid:
    madurofan:
    The Kid:

Not sure about Romo being better than Flacco, and I dont think much of Flacco. I would compare Romo to Phillip Rivers..Tony Romo can throw one of the most amazing touch passes Ive ever seen then on the next play throw the ball right to the DB. He has to be one of the, if not the most inconsistent QB in the league.. The reason I say this, is beacause his highs are sooo high but his lows are soooo low,, Its like two different guys. He's been that way season after season. The Cowboys keep hanging with him and he keeps doing the same thing.. I wouldnt put it on his line either,, however they do need a better running game. I guess I just expect more from America's Team. I'm sorry to say Dallas needs a new QB!!! I bet 9 out of 10 Texans would agree. It would of been great to see Alex Smith go there instead of KC.
    Man this still pains me being a Skins fan and defending Romo but I will because I think its BS. Flacco in the same sentence as Rivers or Romo is a joke. Is Marino not in the discussion as being the best ever because he never won the Super Bowl? The team around both Rivers and Romo has been suspect. Yes both have had stellar talent around them at times. But injuries and suspect other areas always cost them. I'm not saying Rivers and Romo are close to Marino, don't misunderstand me, I'm just making a point.

As for Flacco and Romo here are the numbers. This is an average over the past 4 years, I didn't think it fair to include Flacco's Rookie year. Also Romo missed most of 2010 so I just dropped that so his is an average of three years where Flacco's is 4, if anything that gives the advantage to Flacco as 4 years of averages will settle out a bad number more than 3. And let me be clear the only place that Flacco lead Romo in any one individual year was this year in INTs every other year every one of Romo's stats were better. Also Romo is known for throwing INTs right? Wrong he's never even had a 20 INT year, Both Mannings have done that twice. He's also never thrown more INTs than TDs in a season both Mannings have done that. He also has a much lower INT% than Eli and is only .1% higher than Peyton. Anyways, the numbers:

Flacco
    Yards 3665.5
    TD 22
    INTs 11
    % 60.75
    QBR 55.48

Romo
    Yards 4523.33
    TD 28.33
    INTs 12.67
    % 65
    QBR 65.69
  • Options
    madurofan:
    The Kid:
    madurofan:
    The Kid:

Man this still pains me being a Skins fan and defending Romo but I will because I think its BS. Flacco in the same sentence as Rivers or Romo is a joke. Is Marino not in the discussion as being the best ever because he never won the Super Bowl? The team around both Rivers and Romo has been suspect. Yes both have had stellar talent around them at times. But injuries and suspect other areas always cost them. I'm not saying Rivers and Romo are close to Marino, don't misunderstand me, I'm just making a point.

As for Flacco and Romo here are the numbers. This is an average over the past 4 years, I didn't think it fair to include Flacco's Rookie year. Also Romo missed most of 2010 so I just dropped that so his is an average of three years where Flacco's is 4, if anything that gives the advantage to Flacco as 4 years of averages will settle out a bad number more than 3. And let me be clear the only place that Flacco lead Romo in any one individual year was this year in INTs every other year every one of Romo's stats were better. Also Romo is known for throwing INTs right? Wrong he's never even had a 20 INT year, Both Mannings have done that twice. He's also never thrown more INTs than TDs in a season both Mannings have done that. He also has a much lower INT% than Eli and is only .1% higher than Peyton. Anyways, the numbers:

Flacco
    Yards 3665.5
    TD 22
    INTs 11
    % 60.75
    QBR 55.48

Romo
    Yards 4523.33
    TD 28.33
    INTs 12.67
    % 65
    QBR 65.69
    Numbers arent everything,, for example Romo put up more yards last year than Tom Brady are we now going to say that Romo is a beter QB than Brady or at least for last year.. NOPE,, Not sure why the Mannings keep getting brought up. Both of them are better QB's than Romo, Period! As far as Peyton being a choke artist. They said that about John Elway too,,, I'll bet you that the Bronco's will have a better season with Peyton than the Cowboys do with Romo, Any takers???? Hmmm MADurofan are you still there????

I'll tell you why Romo was 3rd last year behind Brees and Stafford in total yrds and only managed to have an 8 & 8 record,,, Because Big D aint got no running game!!!

FWIW Sports Illustrated released an article where NFL players took a vote,, not talking armchair QB's,,we're talking NFL Players, And Tony Romo ranked 2nd in the "Most Overrated" category.. Number 1, Terrell Owens.. Number 3 Mark Sanchez....
    This was before his new deal

Oh Im just getting started ;o)

Heres one for you Madurofan,, note... its from Joe Theismann,,being a skins fan you have to appreciate Joe
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/03/tony-romo-joe-theismann-isnt-a-very-good-quarterback-dallas-cowboys/1610401/
  • Options
    The Kid:
    madurofan:
    The Kid:
    madurofan:
    The Kid:

Flacco
    Yards 3665.5
    TD 22
    INTs 11
    % 60.75
    QBR 55.48

Romo
    Yards 4523.33
    TD 28.33
    INTs 12.67
    % 65
    QBR 65.69
    Numbers arent everything,, for example Romo put up more yards last year than Tom Brady are we now going to say that Romo is a beter QB than Brady or at least for last year.. NOPE,, Not sure why the Mannings keep getting brought up. Both of them are better QB's than Romo, Period! As far as Peyton being a choke artist. They said that about John Elway too,,, I'll bet you that the Bronco's will have a better season with Peyton than the Cowboys do with Romo, Any takers???? Hmmm MADurofan are you still there????

I'll tell you why Romo was 3rd last year behind Brees and Stafford in total yrds and only managed to have an 8 & 8 record,,, Because Big D aint got no running game!!!

FWIW Sports Illustrated released an article where NFL players took a vote,, not talking armchair QB's,,we're talking NFL Players, And Tony Romo ranked 2nd in the "Most Overrated" category.. Number 1, Terrell Owens.. Number 3 Mark Sanchez....

Heres one for you Madurofan,, note... its from Joe Theismann,,being a skins fan you have to appreciate Joe
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/03/tony-romo-joe-theismann-isnt-a-very-good-quarterback-dallas-cowboys/1610401/
    You're taking one number, yards. I gave you a list of numbers. I can't argue with subjectivity. If you want to think he is terrible because that's what your eyes tell you or because he hasn't won in the playoffs. "Most Overrated" that starts with Owens how old is that man? Even if it was new its subjective, Derek Jeter makes that list every year for baseball, you going to tell me he's no good too?

Eli Manning IS one of the worst QB's to win a Super Bowl much less multiple Super Bowls. He now has a reputation for making stellar plays and comebacks based on ONE play. I could break down all kinds of stats for you but clearly stats mean nothing to you. While you are right that some stats don't mean everything the combination of stats mean a lot. Yards alone don't mean a lot without high touchdown and low INT numbers. If you throw the ball more than anyone else and have a lot of yards and a lot INTs you're correct its meaningless. However if you throw the ball a lot have decent # of TDs and your INT % is one of the lowest in the league that has merit.

Joe Theismann was a tough QB and I liked him on the field. But before you use his opinion to back up your point go read some of the other things he's written, he's wrong more often than he's right. Actually he's an idiot. He has been chased off so many shows it's not even funny.
  • Options
    If you prefer Ill take Eli and the Giants over Romo and the Cowboys????
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE1434ahjiU

I thought this was funny
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKZqjR277vI
    photo blog-image_TonyRomoPastries.jpg
  • Options
    madurofan:
    The Kid:
    madurofan:
    The Kid:
    madurofan:
    The Kid:

Flacco
    Yards 3665.5
    TD 22
    INTs 11
    % 60.75
    QBR 55.48

Romo
    Yards 4523.33
    TD 28.33
    INTs 12.67
    % 65
    QBR 65.69

"Most Overrated" that starts with Owens how old is that man? Even if it was new its subjective,

I could break down all kinds of stats for you but clearly stats mean nothing to you. While you are right that some stats don't mean everything the combination of stats mean a lot. Yards alone don't mean a lot without high touchdown and low INT numbers. If you throw the ball more than anyone else and have a lot of yards and a lot INTs you're correct its meaningless. However if you throw the ball a lot have decent # of TDs and your INT % is one of the lowest in the league that has merit.

Joe Theismann was a tough QB and I liked him on the field. But before you use his opinion to back up your point go read some of the other things he's written, he's wrong more often than he's right. Actually he's an idiot. He has been chased off so many shows it's not even funny.
    Yea so happens Romo is no 2 most overrated in 2012 as well. As far as stats they do mean something and are a valuable tool, but they dont tell the whole picture. Lets say a QB only threw 10 interceptions last year,, and had 5 fumbles.. but all of those turnovers were at key moments in the game and ultimately decided the outcome, which equated to 15 losses. statistcally their turnover % is low but ultimately their errors lost the game.. That IMO basically summs up Tony Romo.
    As far as Theismann goes, while he may be opinionated, he knows the QB position and I agree with his take on Tony Romo.
  • Options
    The Kid:
    As far as stats they do mean something and are a valuable tool, but they dont tell the whole picture. Lets say a QB only threw 10 interceptions last year,, and had 5 fumbles.. but all of those turnovers were at key moments in the game and ultimately decided the outcome, which equated to 15 losses. statistcally their turnover % is low but ultimately their errors lost the game.. That IMO basically summs up Tony Romo.
    That is a fair argument. I agree with the theory. Don't misunderstand I'm not arguing for Romo to the HoF or even as a top 5 QB but he is better than he is given credit for. Is he clutch? Not in my opinion. But the same argument can be made against Peyton, when he tries to do too much at key times he too has been known to cost his team. But I would still take Romo over Eli. His great moment, the only reason anyone has every called him clutch was at a great time, in the Super Bowl and was a better catch than throw. But I'll give him credit for that play but not much else. I've seen him cost his team a number of games as well.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    The Kid:
    As far as stats they do mean something and are a valuable tool, but they dont tell the whole picture. Lets say a QB only threw 10 interceptions last year,, and had 5 fumbles.. but all of those turnovers were at key moments in the game and ultimately decided the outcome, which equated to 15 losses. statistcally their turnover % is low but ultimately their errors lost the game.. That IMO basically summs up Tony Romo.
    That is a fair argument. I agree with the theory. Don't misunderstand I'm not arguing for Romo to the HoF or even as a top 5 QB but he is better than he is given credit for. Is he clutch? Not in my opinion. But the same argument can be made against Peyton, when he tries to do too much at key times he too has been known to cost his team. But I would still take Romo over Eli. His great moment, the only reason anyone has every called him clutch was at a great time, in the Super Bowl and was a better catch than throw. But I'll give him credit for that play but not much else. I've seen him cost his team a number of games as well.
    I truly hope Romo has a great season, as i said ive seen some amazing throws from him,, i just want more consistency from him. Especially since he is nw pulling an amazing salary. He's no rookie and should be at a different level. Luckily the Cowboy fans are extremely dedicated to the team, if he was in Philly he'd be on the bus to the Jets
  • Options
    The Kid:
    madurofan:
    The Kid:
    I truly hope Romo has a great season, as i said ive seen some amazing throws from him,, i just want more consistency from him. Especially since he is nw pulling an amazing salary. He's no rookie and should be at a different level. Luckily the Cowboy fans are extremely dedicated to the team, if he was in Philly he'd be on the bus to the Jets
    I hope he has a terrible season! HAHA

I don't know about your Philly comment. McNabb was way more inconsistent than Romo. A couple more simple stats that tell a story when put together. McNabb was a career 59% passer in the West Coast Offense, that is laughable. McNabb is only credited with 17 comebacks his whole 13 year career, Go look up other QBs that were once considered top5 in the NFL that's pedestrian. In 13 years he only managed to complete 60% of his passes 5 times. Again this is a West Coast Offense! Just to give you an idea of how bad that is, Jeff Garcia has a career % of 61 and Brian Griese has 62. Average QBs in a WC should have much higher than 59%. Yet Philly loved him. Also I wish I could find a stat on how many wide open receivers McNabb skipped the ball to.

Just for disclosure Romo is only credited with 18 comebacks(I never said he was clutch) but that's in 6.5 seasons not 13. He's a career 64.7% passer (NOT in a WC offense) and has completed over 60% all 7 years.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    The Kid:
    madurofan:
    The Kid:
    I hope he has a terrible season! HAHA

I don't know about your Philly comment. McNabb was way more inconsistent than Romo. A couple more simple stats that tell a story when put together. McNabb was a career 59% passer in the West Coast Offense, that is laughable. McNabb is only credited with 17 comebacks his whole 13 year career, Go look up other QBs that were once considered top5 in the NFL that's pedestrian. In 13 years he only managed to complete 60% of his passes 5 times. Again this is a West Coast Offense! Just to give you an idea of how bad that is, Jeff Garcia has a career % of 61 and Brian Griese has 62. Average QBs in a WC should have much higher than 59%. Yet Philly loved him. Also I wish I could find a stat on how many wide open receivers McNabb skipped the ball to.

Just for disclosure Romo is only credited with 18 comebacks(I never said he was clutch) but that's in 6.5 seasons not 13. He's a career 64.7% passer (NOT in a WC offense) and has completed over 60% all 7 years.
    Hmmmm, i did not know that,,, Want to hear somethin funny,,, if i was playing an after school pickup game and there were two players left Romo and McNabb,,I'd pick McNabb,, i like McNabb, couldnt tell you why,,I dont know if its the Chunky soup commercials or what,,but Ive always liked him. Maybe its his attitude.