Home General Discussion
Options

Bloomberg's at it again!!

havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
Now Mayor Bloomberg wants to force all tobacco products out from public display, and hidden from view, or covered. http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/03/bloomberg_keep_tobacco_product.html I wonder how the cigar stores will comply with this. Maybe they'll just cover up the product with curtains, and make you guess their stock.

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like in Australia, I'm pretty sure. All cigarettes (or any tobacco) are packaged the same, with only the name printed on the front, all in the same font.

You are right. Shopping for cigars is much different. Not being able to pick out your own cigars, or even see what a store has would frustrate customers to the point of not even purchasing from a store anymore.

If I was a B&M owner in NY, I'd pack up my **** and leave (if I hadn't already). Paying those outrageous taxes, and even pretending to go along with reg's like that is just asking for more. Moving elsewhere tells people like Bloomberg, "No, I'm not playing along with your game, and you can kiss my a$$ if you think you can kick me around like that."
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    They did say that it wouldn't include b&m's.
  • Options
    RoosterTXRoosterTX Posts: 16
    I can only guess what Ron Swanson would say about that.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only guess that Bloomberg has "bought stock" in the mafia, and is trying to increase the $ made in the black market.

How can New Yorkers keep electing this N a z i ?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Amos Umwhat:
    I can only guess that Bloomberg has "bought stock" in the mafia, and is trying to increase the $ made in the black market.

How can New Yorkers keep electing this N a z i ?
    People like being told what to do, what to think and how to act. There's a ton of people in the world that just don't want to make decisions about their own lives and would rather leave it up to an "expert" about how to live their life. It's pathetic, but it's an all too human urge in many people. Here's a favorite quote of mine from Samual Adams (the Patriot, not the beer). I think the words are as applicable today as they were when our country was new:

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

- Samuel Adams
    That said, this decree won't stand. First on First Amendment grounds; a seller is allowed to showcase their product and not have it hidden, regardless of what it is, so long as it's legal. Second, the Feds have already legislated how cigarette makers are allowed to display their products; once the Federal Gov't decides to regulate something, the States are no longer allowed to interfere, which would include nanny bloombergs newest decree.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    So the fact that a minor would buy cigarettes because he was influenced by them at the counter, we should hide the evil things behind a curtain to save our young? Seriously? Hey mayor, how about violent movies and video games? Sex and immorality in the movies? Hell, just watch an episode of the primetime "Two and a Half Men". They aren't influenced by that? Its' about control. Plain and simple.
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    So the fact that a minor would buy cigarettes because he was influenced by them at the counter, we should hide the evil things behind a curtain to save our young? Seriously? Hey mayor, how about violent movies and video games? Sex and immorality in the movies? Hell, just watch an episode of the primetime "Two and a Half Men". They aren't influenced by that? Its' about control. Plain and simple.
    I wish this forum had a "like" button....+1