Home Cigar 101

Birthday Collection

Hello,

My boyfriend is very much into trying out and smoking cigars and, being the novice I am with cigars, I am trying to either buy a collection of cigars he would like or put together a collection for him and I am having a not-so-fun time of it. I bought him a decent sized humidor and subscription to cigar aficionado for his birthday last year and then got him a limited edition Rocky Patel Colbri lighter and cutter for Christmas last year. And now that it comes down to me trying to fill up his humidor for him I am totally at a loss (he has been buying a cigar here and there himself). I know that he has tried and really likes one called an Oliva V as well as a Rocky Patel Edge Lite... I think....

So... I figure I am talking to people with a better grasp on this than I by posting here. Any ideas and opinions are welcome as I am totally out of my element.

Thank you!

Comments

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    If he's been ordering through cigar.com you could call a rep and they would have his order history. They could give you an idea of what he likes and even put a sampler together for you.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Above is good advice...

Any line from Oliva would be great, they are all good choices. There are 2 lines of the V's out as well.

If you want to stick with Rocky Patel, any of his Vintage lines are very good. (Vintage 1990, Vintage 1992...) I like the regular Edge maduro's too.

My wife will occasionally pick me out some cigars, and while she will sometimes ask what I like, I always like what she brings back. As long as you're buying quality cigars, it is hard to go wrong! Maybe even buying him somehing different will turn him on to a new brand.

Don Pepin Garcia or My Father, La FLor Dominicana, Tatuaje, Rocky Patel, Alec Bradley, Joya de Nicaragua, Liga Privada are all big names, and you will be hard pressed to find a bad cigar from any of them. Good luck!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    If he's been ordering through cigar.com you could call a rep and they would have his order history. They could give you an idea of what he likes and even put a sampler together for you.
    +1
    Sound advice

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems odd that your boyfriend has had the humi for a year and hasn't filled it up yet? Maybe it's just me? But, I would definitely call a Ccom rep. they're the best in the bizzness and can guide you through the process.
  • havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    My only advice is to not load him up on one brand. Give him a selection of the highest of the high end. He can't possibly be disappointed.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Tame This Tornado:
    Hello,

My boyfriend is very much into trying out and smoking cigars and, being the novice I am with cigars, I am trying to either buy a collection of cigars he would like or put together a collection for him and I am having a not-so-fun time of it. I bought him a decent sized humidor and subscription to cigar aficionado for his birthday last year and then got him a limited edition Rocky Patel Colbri lighter and cutter for Christmas last year. And now that it comes down to me trying to fill up his humidor for him I am totally at a loss (he has been buying a cigar here and there himself). I know that he has tried and really likes one called an Oliva V as well as a Rocky Patel Edge Lite... I think....

So... I figure I am talking to people with a better grasp on this than I by posting here. Any ideas and opinions are welcome as I am totally out of my element.

Thank you!
    welcome I would look at some of the samplers that they have on here. The cuban roots sampler is a great deal and it gives him 8 different cigars to try and then try again since you get 2 of each. http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST142
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Tame This Tornado:
    Hello,

Thank you!

Drew gave you some very sound advise in calling and speaking to a rep to see about setting you up with a nice custom sampler ..... Might I recommend that you get your boyfriend a small journal so he can put bands in there and write a brief review on the cigar, just simple things like I really enjoyed this cigar and would smoke it again or this cigar was awful and tasted like a dirty ****. This way on dates like anniversaries and birthdays and holidays you can steal the journal and see what his thoughts are. Good luck and it always great to see girlfriends support their boyfriends cigar habits.