Home Non Cigar Related
Options

family summer vacation question

Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
i'm looking for somewhere to take my family on summer vacation somewhere warm and with nice beaches...either US or abroad. anyone have any suggestions? it would be 5 of us all together, so price is something to think about. please let me know if you know any cool places or have suggestions. thanks

Comments

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Key Largo my friend-----end of story.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Price being a concern and family friendly vacation, you can pick any number of places along the gulf coast of Florida. White sand, crystal clear water. I like destinations like Pensacola. And I'm sure that the further south you move the higher prices you'll find. Kind of a neat way to get the vacation you want in the budget you want.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Load up the family truckster and head to Walley World!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    +1 to Florida coasts; any place outside of Miami should be pretty affordable

If you drive, it can be made inside of 20 hrs if you don't stop for sleep, or only stop for a few hours. I managed a drive from Lansing, Michigan to Tampa, FL in about 20 hrs, and only slept for about 3 hrs, so maybe 17 hrs if it was a straight drive or I had someone to trade off driving with.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    You could always meet up with me and deejmeemix in Myrtle Beach during the last week of June. Just sayin'...
  • Options
    A lot easier for my family since it's only an hour north from us, but we make an annual family trip to Jekyll Island. Very rich with history and plenty of sight seeing. You can spend as much or as little on beach front hotels as you want (think there is also camping). Water park there, awesome dining overlooking the ocean, if you like golf (like I do) golf club has 54 holes of golf, world class tennis facilities. Lots of nature tours out of there. Single greatest sea turtle landing in north america. East coast sea turtle hospital is located there (great for kids and adults!!!) and they also offer night expeditions during certain parts of the year to go out and watch the sea turtles laying their eggs. Seemingly endless bike paths.

Anyway, I'm sounding like a sales rep. Check it out. Really cool place for the family.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    Price being a concern and family friendly vacation, you can pick any number of places along the gulf coast of Florida. White sand, crystal clear water. I like destinations like Pensacola. And I'm sure that the further south you move the higher prices you'll find. Kind of a neat way to get the vacation you want in the budget you want.
    This is true. Around clearwater and St. Pete beaches are beautiful. I'd definitely go back
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    clearlysuspect:
    This is true. Around clearwater and St. Pete beaches are beautiful. I'd definitely go back
    I agree, I enjoyed my time in Clearwater / St. Pete. I actually stayed in a Hotel on the beach for a few days then switch to a KOA for the remander of the trip. To be honest, the KOA doesnt even come close to a hotel as the rooms / cabins have no amenities but I actually had a better time at the KOA and at the time a two bed cabin was $30 bucks a night.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    We go to Destin, Fl when it's time to hit the beach.
  • Options
    bbass2:
    We go to Destin, Fl when it's time to hit the beach.
    Definitely a good spot to stay. If you want to take some side trips, Destin sits right between Pensacola and Panama City. There is also Fort Walton Beach which is beautiful as well. Great strip of moderately priced relaxation spots all lined up for you.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aruba. That is all :)
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Just got back from Aruba, wasn't that impressed and it's exspensive.
  • Options
    Anything you want your family to do while you're there? Amusement parks, nature, relaxation? How old are the kids? Any special hobbies in the family?
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    Anything you want your family to do while you're there? Amusement parks, nature, relaxation? How old are the kids? Any special hobbies in the family?
    Girls are 20, 16, 14. Just swimming snorkeling, and relaxing on a beach.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
  • Options
    Rail Jockey:
    clearlysuspect:
    Key West had awesome snorkeling tours. About an hour catamaran ride out to awesome coral reef. Free beer on the ride back into shore.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I've been to Destin and Clearwater. Both awesome beach vacations. It's hard to beat the keys for snorkeling. It depends on how far you want to drive. Check out the Outer Banks of NC. Duck, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Cape Hatteras. Ocracoke Island is one of my favorite places, warm waters (gulf stream) and a great beach. Would be more of a relaxed vibe and not so busy there compared to other beaches.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    there is a reason why charleston is the top vacation spot.
  • Options
    Roberto99:
    Check out the Outer Banks of NC. Duck, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Cape Hatteras. Ocracoke Island is one of my favorite places, warm waters (gulf stream) and a great beach. Would be more of a relaxed vibe and not so busy there compared to other beaches.
    Great points. My brother goes down to Outter Banks and Kitty Hawk each year. He usually takes the whole family and rents a house right on the beach for a pretty modest price. Works out really well. And these beaches are much more private without the tourist and commercial feel to them. If you want I'll get you info on the house rentals.
  • Options
    deejmemixx:
    there is a reason why charleston is the top vacation spot.
    Hard to argue. Charleston is beautiful. I think top vacation spot might be due to awesome golf deals offered in that area.
  • Options
    bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    Cozumel. Best snorkeling. swimming and scuba diving in the carib. A good bang for the buck.
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Check out a place called Holden Beach North Carolina. Its family oriented with great beaches, a nice pier and not a whole lot more. You will need a car though. You can fly into Charlotte and drive from there. It may be a little late in season to get rental as a lot of people rent a year in advance.