Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Opening Day MLB Thread

brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
Baseball fans here?

Beign from STL baseball is a way a life. the home opener may as well be a holiday here.

I can't wait for tonight.

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Huge Yankees fan. But this year...not too optimistic. My wife was a big Yankees fan but jumped ship for Baltimore when we picked up Youk.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Hoping the Twins have a better season this year.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the additions that Braves added this offseason....
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    smoke em if you got em:

+1
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Certainly like the additions the Blue Jays have made this year...then again most people seem to. Not sure the Marlins fans like their chances though. Will be nice to have a decent team again. Those 1991-1993 seasons seems like forever ago!
  • Options
    Personally i hope this is the year that the yanks and sox finish in the bottom 2 of the east.....being from the midwest we HATE the east coast bias.....drives us insane
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Personally i hope this is the year that the yanks and sox finish in the bottom 2 of the east.....being from the midwest we HATE the east coast bias.....drives us insane
    ////i am not a fan of either, for different reasons...but it seems to appear, that unless things change dramatically, they wont be a thorn in anyones ....well you know where :) Those Nationals are looking mighty strong as well!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Strasburg is a beast ... I'm just saying ...
  • Options
    smoke em if you got em:
    That wouldn't be because the Upton brothers coming out of the 757 would it ;)

My claim to fame, I once struck BJ Upton out.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    smoke em if you got em:

how cool is that...I'd like the uptons regardless where they were from. Them being from the 757 is a bonus
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the Redlegs season, sorry Royln.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a baseball fan but I do like to play and I do like to attend games. I enjoy it but I do not follow it is what I am saying. My teams generally suck. KC Royals and St. Louis Cardinals. But my son won a Royals Blue Crew prize for Easter and he got a jersey, hat, layard, sweatbands, and passes to all sorts of cool stuff. I can't wait to take him and enjoy some baseball with him this year.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Milwaukee Brewers fan here, glad they got off to a good start. Depending on their pitching, they could be a contender. Although it's the start of the season after all, so it doesn't matter much how they do for a few months.
  • Options
    jsnake:
    I am not a baseball fan but I do like to play and I do like to attend games. I enjoy it but I do not follow it is what I am saying. My teams generally suck. KC Royals and St. Louis Cardinals. But my son won a Royals Blue Crew prize for Easter and he got a jersey, hat, layard, sweatbands, and passes to all sorts of cool stuff. I can't wait to take him and enjoy some baseball with him this year.
    .....i mean the Royals suck, but the cardinals are about the furthest from sucking there is. A little story abotu the Royals v Cardinals:

3 years ago the Royals are in town and i get some good tickets and head down REALLY early for a the game to watch batting practice. My son had collected baseball cards for a while and knew who Alex Gordon was because of the chase for his faux rookie card in 2006. Gordon is a relatively unknown player nationwide but my son is sitting on the rail on the 3rd base line and keeps calling him to come over. Finally Alex walks over and asks him how he knows who he is since he is from St. Louis and shakes his hand. My son explains and Alex chuckles and goes into the dugout grabs a brand new ball and signs it and lets me take a picture with him. My son will still tell the story and has the ball in a holder....that ball isn't worth anything monitarily, but never leaves his desk all because the memory looms large in his life.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    Hoping the Twins have a better season this year.
    The rotation doesn't look very strong. Good luck. Now the Tigers on the other hand, should hit 100 wins easily this year. Should be a fun year in the D!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    jsnake:
    .....i mean the Royals suck, but the cardinals are about the furthest from sucking there is. A little story abotu the Royals v Cardinals:

3 years ago the Royals are in town and i get some good tickets and head down REALLY early for a the game to watch batting practice. My son had collected baseball cards for a while and knew who Alex Gordon was because of the chase for his faux rookie card in 2006. Gordon is a relatively unknown player nationwide but my son is sitting on the rail on the 3rd base line and keeps calling him to come over. Finally Alex walks over and asks him how he knows who he is since he is from St. Louis and shakes his hand. My son explains and Alex chuckles and goes into the dugout grabs a brand new ball and signs it and lets me take a picture with him. My son will still tell the story and has the ball in a holder....that ball isn't worth anything monitarily, but never leaves his desk all because the memory looms large in his life.
    That is an awesome story. Sorry for comparing the Royals to the Cardinals. The Cardinals are definitely better and have had better seasons in recent history. I just don't get into baseball like football. I do support both teams though.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I usually hate baseball. Used to cheer for the Braves when I was little. I was really tired and sponging on the couch after a really hard days work yesterday and ended up watching the Braves vs Phillies game with my daughter. She was really into it. So was I until I fell asleep. Surprisingly not from the game, just from exhaustion. It was really nice watching that with her. Does anyone know who won that game???
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Braves 7-5
  • Options
    bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    smoke em if you got em:
    Hate to see Chipper go.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BASEBALL!!!
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Watching red Sox destroy Yankees. What's wrong with NY this year. They look horrible.
  • Options
    smoke em if you got em:
    madurofan:
    smoke em if you got em:

how cool is that...I'd like the uptons regardless where they were from. Them being from the 757 is a bonus
    Their dad is a staple in youth baseball in the 757. Good stock those to come from. They were far enough apart in age that they never really played together coming up and BJ went to a private school and Justin went to public but it is cool to see them on the same team.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mariners 2-0... I know it's the A's but let me enjoy it for a few seconds!