Home Cigar 101

Smell and Smokability

bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
I read in a review or article a while back where the writer said that generally if a cigar has a very pungent smell then it probably won't smoke optimally. Any thoughts on this? Does a cigar put off more of a smell when it's been stored in a higher RH?

Just wondering because I smoked one the other night that had a very pungent mouth-watering smell. It did have a tight draw throughout and a bitter flavor towards the end. The cigar had been stored in cello for two months in a tupperdor around 70-72%RH.

Comments

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    It depends what the writer meant by pungent. If he meant it smells of ammonia, then it's probably still aging heavily I believe, so it might not be at it's best.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Maybe pungent was the wrong word, but I didn't take it to mean something negative just a stronger smell coming off of the cigar. My smokes always seem to smell much stronger ROTT than they do after resting in the humi for a while.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    From my little experience the more barnyard/of crappy smell the better it tastes!! Could just be me though. I've had some in a humi and when you open the kid you just want to close it but god they were spot on delicious!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Lee.mcglynn:
    From my little experience the more barnyard/of crappy smell the better it tastes!! Could just be me though. I've had some in a humi and when you open the kid you just want to close it but god they were spot on delicious!!
    I've heard/read that from several sources. For me, I have not been able to guess which one will taste better based on the pre-light smell.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard that one before and haven't paid enough attention to notice. I like to do the crackle test. Hold it to your ear and pinch lightly if no crackle or very little then it's to moist. If it sounds like rice crispies when you add milk it's probably to dry. After a while you get to where you know exactly the sound your looking for.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i can tell by how they feel not how they smell or sound. i dont know how to describe it. but it has to feel right.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i can tell by how they feel not how they smell or sound. i dont know how to describe it. but it has to feel right.
    Mrs. Kuzi can attest to this, there was a lot of feeling going on before matt was sure he was going to stick with it long term ;)
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    Mrs. Kuzi can attest to this, there was a lot of feeling going on before matt was sure he was going to stick with it long term ;)
    All the way to the nub.