Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Laptop Problems (touchpad issue) have any advice?

Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys

I just bought a cool new notebook on Monday (an ASUS q400a from Bestbuy) However, I plugged in the ac charger yesterday and the touchpad started freaking out, skipping, behaving erratically, clicking on stuff.

So, I tried re-installing drivers, and all that. But I think the issue is a grounding problem. I noticed it only has problems when plugged in to the charger. No problems on battery. I tried switching to other outlets and plugging into a surge protector, no use... the problem does subside only when the computer is sitting on my lap (grounding it, no doubt) or when I rest my hand on the metal case.

I am waiting to hear back from ASUS, but I wanted to see if any of you intelligent gentlemen had any suggestions. I am still well within the 15 day warranty period, so if all else fails I can return it. I'd rather not take it back though, if this is a small issue, or can be resolved easily.

For the record, I DO think I would rather return it then crack open the case to mess with any grounds... I'm almost sure that would void any warranty.

Thanks, guys!
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Take it back.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    curtpick:
    Take it back.
    Yeah, they say to contact manufacturer first, so I did. If i do not here back by Sat, I probably will.

It is plugged in now, and seems to be behaving.... why are computers such a pain in the a$$? nothing is easy
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM to ya grey.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    Take it back.
    I've had to take back every single thing I ever bought at Best Buy at least once to get one that works.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Vision:
    PM to ya grey.
    replied, thanks!
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    BestBuy's customer service is usually pretty good, I would just exchange it for another one.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    So, I tried re-installing drivers, and all that. But I think the issue is a grounding problem. I noticed it only has problems when plugged in to the charger. No problems on battery. I tried switching to other outlets and plugging into a surge protector, no use... the problem does subside only when the computer is sitting on my lap (grounding it, no doubt) or when I rest my hand on the metal case.
    Hmm ... sounds like a hardware issue, maybe a faulty touchpad, board or wire not seated correctly.
    But good idea to not crack it open, since it's brand new.

Hopefully the manufacturer gives you a solution, if not I'd say take it back and get a replacement. Raise he11 and get a manager involved if they're being difficult....
    Good luck dude.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Ok, so I took the laptop back since it started messin up this morning (I used it thurs night, no problems). It worked fine when plugged in at the store, but I brought home a new one anyway...

I am now having the same issues with this one. I even turned off the breaker to an outlet, and it was still messing up when plugged in. Wtf is wrong with the wiring in my apt?? Lol! This got complicated quickly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Did you get a new AC adapter?
  • Options
    james40:
    Did you get a new AC adapter?
    Yes, brand new everything. Same problems right out of the box when I plug in the charger. Same issues on every outlet in the house, both while using a powerstrip and straight into the outlet. I'm runnig out of ideas, lol!
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Keep taking it back until you get one that works. Have them test the next new on right at the store so you know it works before you bring it home.

The only other solution is to do what I have done.... turn off the touch pad and get a Bluetooth mouse. I hate touch pads and can't get them to work very well, so the mouse takes care of that (for me anyway). Good Luck
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    curtpick:
    Take it back.
    I've had to take back every single thing I ever bought at Best Buy at least once to get one that works.
    lol .... that sucks
  • Options
    camgfs:
    Keep taking it back until you get one that works. Have them test the next new on right at the store so you know it works before you bring it home.

The only other solution is to do what I have done.... turn off the touch pad and get a Bluetooth mouse. I hate touch pads and can't get them to work very well, so the mouse takes care of that (for me anyway). Good Luck
    I do plan on using a mouse too.. so this may not be a deal breaker. I am going to take the laptop to work and plug it in to see if it is just my outlets or not. If it messes up there too, then back it goes! Nothing is as easy as it should be, lol! Thanks for all the input, guys.