Home Non Cigar Related

Jim Crow is alive and well

raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
http://abcnews.go.com/US/georgia-teens-fed-segregated-proms/story?id=18880791#.UV79U6KNpvB

It's astounding to believe that this kind of community-sanctioned racism is alive and well.

Yes, I know that these proms are put on by separate privately funded organizations are a legitimate expression of the 'rights' of people to express their bigotry without the state or federal government trampling on these rights (and I wouldn't want government intervention in this case), but no one is going to convince me that the reason the black families created their own prom was because they didn't want their kids to socialize with the white kids. The fact that a non-white was turned away (by police!) from a whites-only prom in the past demonstrates how little some parts of this country have evolved.

And the fact that ANYONE in this community would protest a separate integrated prom is despicable, especially since the white and black kids (and the parents) who are sponsoring it are showing that at least some people there aren't stuck in 1955.

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    statement retracted ...
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Of course any reasonable person would find the story appalling.
    raisindot:
    And, in the interests of trying to be 'fair and balanced,' I searched FOXNEWS.com for their own coverage of the story and would have posted a link to their coverage, had it existed. Naturally, there was no mention of it at all.
    Wow. So naturally because they didn't cover it they're racist. Did CNN, NBC,NPR, so on and so on also cover it? I won't argue that Fox isn't biased, all of them are. But that you even did that shows your bias and pretty much makes your statement irrelevent. You can't make an argument that someone else is biased when everything you say is biased.

I have no issue with you posting this story and commenting on it, that's great people need to see this stuff. It's great to discuss these thing. However, what you did was inflammatory and essentially a personal attack on anyone with a differing political view than yours. Pretty classless ...
    I wasn't attacking anyone with a differing political view. I was pointing out that Fox didn't carry coverage. I really did look for it, since I didn't want to cite it from Huffington or another "liberal' news source. But, to be fair, you're correct in that NPR doesn't seem to have a story on it there (although CNN and NBC do). I chastise them for not covering it either. I have since removed the reference to Fox from my original post. And to be fair to Fox, a search produced a 'positive' story they did about a county's first integrated prom from 2007. Since this story broke today I assume that they will have their own story at some point. Maybe NPR will, too.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I retract my previous statement ... carry on sir.

It is good to point this out. If this becomes a political issue for either side I will find it dispicable. No one can defend this. Maybe their right to do it but the actual action of doing it is indefensable
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple years back, my second youngest sister, who teaches high school in SoCal, sent me a link to a vid showing youngsters entering a black only prom somewhere in LaLa land. It was organized, IIRC, by black yoots who wanted a black only prom.

Whatever people want. It's their dance. Let them enjoy it the way they want. Not like they are all going to grow up and vote for a man just because he's black, right? left right left right left right left right left... HUT!

I been thinking a lot lately about Rochelle, a black girl I lived with briefly back in the days when black was beautiful instead of politically incorrect to say. Black girls wore huge afros back then. Rochelle. What a rockin bod! Built like that chrome gal on a trucker's mudflap. Sassy nympho. Grab that afro and put her where you want her. Wonder what happened to her.

Life is funny.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Human nature. I wonder who gets to pick the music.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for those kids. So much can change even after just one generation. I hope their change sticks
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America