Home Non Cigar Related
Options

To (All) the Colleges that rejected me

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
From an Op-ed in the Wall Street Journal. This girl has a future in writing for sure. Biting, and uncannily accurate; having gone through the admissions process for college and post-grad school, I can say this is all 100% accurate

Like me, millions of high-school seniors with sour grapes are asking themselves this week how they failed to get into the colleges of their dreams. It's simple: For years, they—we—were lied to.

Colleges tell you, "Just be yourself." That is great advice, as long as yourself has nine extracurriculars, six leadership positions, three varsity sports, killer SAT scores and two moms. Then by all means, be yourself! If you work at a local pizza shop and are the slowest person on the cross-country team, consider taking your business elsewhere.

What could I have done differently over the past years?

For starters, had I known two years ago what I know now, I would have gladly worn a headdress to school. Show me to any closet, and I would've happily come out of it. "Diversity!" I offer about as much diversity as a saltine cracker. If it were up to me, I would've been any of the diversities: Navajo, Pacific Islander, anything. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, I salute you and your 1/32 Cherokee heritage.

I also probably should have started a fake charity. Providing veterinary services for homeless people's pets. Collecting donations for the underprivileged chimpanzees of the Congo. Raising awareness for Chapped-Lips-in-the-Winter Syndrome. Fun-runs, dance-a-thons, bake sales—as long as you're using someone else's misfortunes to try to propel yourself into the Ivy League, you're golden.

Having a tiger mom helps, too. As the youngest of four daughters, I noticed long ago that my parents gave up on parenting me. It has been great in certain ways: Instead of "Be home by 11," it's "Don't wake us up when you come through the door, we're trying to sleep." But my parents also left me with a dearth of hobbies that make admissions committees salivate. I've never sat down at a piano, never plucked a violin. Karate lasted about a week and the swim team didn't last past the first lap. Why couldn't Amy Chua have adopted me as one of her cubs?

Then there was summer camp. I should've done what I knew was best—go to Africa, scoop up some suffering child, take a few pictures, and write my essays about how spending that afternoon with Kinto changed my life. Because everyone knows that if you don't have anything difficult going on in your own life, you should just hop on a plane so you're able to talk about what other people have to deal with.

Or at least hop to an internship. Get a precocious-sounding title to put on your resume. "Assistant Director of Mail Services." "Chairwoman of Coffee Logistics." I could have been a gopher in the office of someone I was related to. Work experience!

To those kids who by age 14 got their doctorate, cured a disease, or discovered a guilt-free brownie recipe: My parents make me watch your "60 Minutes" segments, and they've clipped your newspaper articles for me to read before bed. You make us mere mortals look bad. (Also, I am desperately jealous and willing to pay a lot to learn your secrets.)

To those claiming that I am bitter—you bet I am! An underachieving selfish teenager making excuses for her own failures? That too! To those of you disgusted by this, shocked that I take for granted the wonderful gifts I have been afforded, I say shhhh—"The Real Housewives" is on.

Ms. Weiss is a senior at Taylor Allderdice High School in Pittsburgh.

Comments

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that what she is pointing out is very true and rather outrageous, but she does seem to point out that she has done nothing for the last four years and that somehow hasn't gotten her into Harvard. Excuse me for not feeling sorry for her.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I agree Tony. There seem to be undertones of entitlement in her complaints. I also understand the frustration of being denied by a college though. I wasn't accepted to the grad program in the same school I had just recieved a bachelors from, in the same discipline no less. Suck it up and retake entrance exams. Keep trying until you get the result you want. Until then, keep your complaints to yourself.
  • Options
    Is the problem with teenagers being teenagers, or is it colleges expecting their admissions to have a bunch of extracurriculars and having, as the author stated, taken a trip to Africa and written about Kinto? Most adults I know don't have the kinds of "experiences" on their resumes that these college admissions officers are looking for a high school grad to have.

Is the problem the kids, or the politically correct admissions officers who expect these HS grads to have a resume that would put a 50 yr old CEO of a non-profit to shame?
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    No, I admit that what she describes is outlandish. My problem is that she describes herself as a reality show watching, habitual dropout that can't get into the world's best universities because she was told to be herself. Based on her own description of herself, I wouldn't hire her to work at McDonald's, much less accept her into one of the most prestigious, competitive schools in the world. I understand her point, but she seems to be the wrong person to feel slighted by it.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I agree with Tony... what does any student expect applying for "the school of your dreams" especially if thats a harvard, priceton, uva...?? We all know their admissions are ridiculous! The acceptance rate is what, sub 10%?

What she did fail to mention was... you get out of an education what you put in. I consider my dad to be a success and he attended a tiny state school at night for 10 yrs to get a bach, and moved on to a banking masters at stonier. It doesnt take an "ivy league" school to get a good degree and come out prepared. I did attend the school of my dreams, Marshall U in WV! And I am thrilled to go to UK for my Ph.D. id take on a harvard grad anyday ;)

if high schoolers need to hear anything, it's this: work hard, be persistent, and take opportunites when they come. Being denied at vanderbilt isnt the end!
  • Options
    xmacro:
    Is the problem with teenagers being teenagers, or is it colleges expecting their admissions to have a bunch of extracurriculars and having, as the author stated, taken a trip to Africa and written about Kinto? Most adults I know don't have the kinds of "experiences" on their resumes that these college admissions officers are looking for a high school grad to have.

Is the problem the kids, or the politically correct admissions officers who expect these HS grads to have a resume that would put a 50 yr old CEO of a non-profit to shame?
    And to answer this, I agree dude, admissions to some school are straight up ridiculous... but they have the name, and supply and demands say that they can be as picky as they want, and they always will be. Also, Id assume rich alumae contribute to keep that incredibly high standard there.

Kids need to realize though, you do not have to jump through those kind of hoops to be successful. Certainly it's a great aspiration to have to attend a top school, but will you come out better prepared ?? Depends. Will you have opportunities there that you wouldnt have at a lesser known school? Absolutely. But, you can do well anywhere if you work and keep your head up looking for ways to be successful in what you want.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    What Macro failed to include from the article is this:

"The Pittsburgh high school senior has a 4.5 GPA, scored 2120 on her SATs and worked as a page in the U.S. Senate."

Its' not like she was just an average student. She excelled at school. She just didn't have the diversity badge.

link
  • Options
    beatnic:

"The Pittsburgh high school senior has a 4.5 GPA, scored 2120 on her SATs and worked as a page in the U.S. Senate."

Its' not like she was just an average student. She excelled at school. She just didn't have the diversity badge.

link
    Wow!!

The sad thing is... even if she is accepted to many schools in PA, colleges are insanely expensive there, even for bright students who receive scholarships.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:

link
    That's what SHE said. Perhaps it's because she applied to schools that required 5.0 GPAs and 2400 SATs as a starting point. In any case, top schools--and even lower-level schools--are being absolutely inundated with over-coached, over tutored brainiacs with perfect scores because online applications make it so easy to apply. Maybe she didn't get into the schools of her choice because her recommendations weren't all that good. Maybe she screwed up on interviews. Maybe she never visited the schools she attended. Maybe her college essays displayed the same level of arrogance, self-absorption, and self-pity as her 'article.' Maybe her page job was given to her by daddy. Maybe she didn't do anything else other than this. Who knows? We're only hearing her side of the story, and the story she portrays is one of an entitled brat who I sure as hell wouldn't want at my school. And I say this as the father of a senior who applied only to the good but not Ivy League schools he should have applied to, and didn't *** and moan at being rejected by the one school he didn't get into.
  • Options
    I still disagree with you, raisindot. I loved her essay, and thought it took a good degree of wit to write it; she's obviously got some good brains, and what beatnic posted proves she's no slouche.

I'm more inclined to pin the blame for this on college admissions officers; they take increasingly fluffed resumes as standard, and if you don't have parents who can foot the bill for a trip to Africa or a lawyer friend to set up a charity for homeless peoples pets, then you're behind the curve. It's less and less about actual merit or tenacity and more about "How much have you padded your resume" or how "diverse" you are in regards to your skin color or ethnicity. Heaven forbid they take intellectual diversity into account; the circumstances of your birth (race/ethincity) and parentage (gay/straight parents) are all that really matter.

EDIT: And IIRC, Harvard only requires a "B" average to apply; at least it did when I was applying for post-grad school.
  • Options
    Eehhh, Harvard may only "require" B's but im sure almost ever applicant makes straight As. I was valedictorian and graduated at top of my college class too with many awards and achievements. I only say this to add, I wasnt chosen for a certain full ride undergrad scholarship. Sometimes it's just what the certain admissions board is looking for, and you arent it. Is there resume fluffing? Probably, but it's harder to fluff past 2 or 3 sets of interviews. As an admin officer, why not be picky if you can afford to be? I too, see her article as more whiny than witty.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    There's always state school! Worked out for me! I think...
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Notice she didn't attach her transcripts...it might have indicate the F in English she hopefully received for not knowing the difference between being "a diversity" and "a minority."
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Notice she didn't attach her transcripts...it might have indicated the F in English she hopefully received for not knowing the difference between being "a diversity" and "a minority."
    FTFY Stick out tongue [:P]

• Options
    xmacro:
    Ken Light:
    Notice she didn't attach her transcripts...it might have indicated the F in English she hopefully received for not knowing the difference between being "a diversity" and "a minority."
    FTFY Stick out tongue [:P]

pardon my ignorance...ftfy?
  • Options
    FTFY = Fixed that for you
  • Options
    xmacro:
    FTFY = Fixed that for you
    OH, haha, didn't even see the bold letter! Hey, I didn't say I did any better in English, did I? :D
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Seems to me that there is a bit of racist undertones in her anger/letter. Sure it seems that people from other countries get lucky and get into good schools or even get it paid for while people who have parents that "make too" much cannot get in due to money or even scholarships. Hell even scholarships go to people who don't even live in this country (as many articles an films have shown). I personally think that college has turned into something of a cash cow and not for the people going to them. Seems as though a 4 year degree will get you a job at a car rental place or a fast food joint. But making real money? Doubtful. I saw a sign the other day outside a mky dee's that said 4 year degree minimum! WTF! I have 4 HS friends who finished 6 years of school and make less than I do but owe a tone of money. 2 of them are PA's! My wife has a friend who is a dental hygienist who makes less than I do and has to pay 600 plus a month in loan payments! I don't make a ton of money and in fact I am really glad I didn't do the grind that many of my friends did because I own my own biz and enjoy my work while getting a decent pay.

I think it is obscene at how colleges are **** over people. I mean it shouldn't cost a fortune for a person to be educated. Hell it should be FREE! A educated populace is needed to build a strong country and we are surely lacking in it. This all stems from many issues our country faces which I'm sure a lot of you would disagree with me on (hell we have had these debates) but at the core the **** for money has really killed our country. College use to be free or at least cheap enough so that one could work part time and pay for it. That time has past and student loans are the new bubble. Sooner or later it will burst and we will once again be at cross roads.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Seems to me that there is a bit of racist undertones in her anger/letter. Sure it seems that people from other countries get lucky and get into good schools or even get it paid for while people who have parents that "make too" much cannot get in due to money or even scholarships. Hell even scholarships go to people who don't even live in this country (as many articles an films have shown). I personally think that college has turned into something of a cash cow and not for the people going to them. Seems as though a 4 year degree will get you a job at a car rental place or a fast food joint. But making real money? Doubtful. I saw a sign the other day outside a mky dee's that said 4 year degree minimum! WTF! I have 4 HS friends who finished 6 years of school and make less than I do but owe a tone of money. 2 of them are PA's! My wife has a friend who is a dental hygienist who makes less than I do and has to pay 600 plus a month in loan payments! I don't make a ton of money and in fact I am really glad I didn't do the grind that many of my friends did because I own my own biz and enjoy my work while getting a decent pay.

I think it is obscene at how colleges are **** over people. I mean it shouldn't cost a fortune for a person to be educated. Hell it should be FREE! A educated populace is needed to build a strong country and we are surely lacking in it. This all stems from many issues our country faces which I'm sure a lot of you would disagree with me on (hell we have had these debates) but at the core the **** for money has really killed our country. College use to be free or at least cheap enough so that one could work part time and pay for it. That time has past and student loans are the new bubble. Sooner or later it will burst and we will once again be at cross roads.
    I agree with a lot you've said here. Certainly some things are up for debate. I too felt a little racist undertone to it, but it wasn't really blatant enough to upset me. Just fills me in on a little bit more of who was speaking is all. And I certainly agree, and it's pretty hard to argue, that colleges have lost a lot of their purpose and are simply there to drain more money out of you. They put out so much less than what they take in.

There have been many great comments already about how college does not make or break you. I really feel that too many politicians in the past have used "college education" as an easy platform for them to stand on and that too many people have fell into this idea that everyone needs to attend college. For the average citizen that I run into who is having trouble figuring it out, I recommend trade schools to them all the time. Can't figure out what you want to do, pick up a trade in 1.5 years or less and go to work. Get out in the real world, make some money, and you'll figure it out pretty quick. Much faster than living the, very often but not always, sheltered life of a high school or college student.

All-in-all, I was pretty impressed by the writer's whit. I enjoyed reading it just as much as I disagreed with almost all of it. She would like to appear intelligent, much more intelligent than the average college official, but the fact that she hasn't figured out that she doesn't really need to attend one of these schools lets me know that she really doesn't have it all figured out.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Nicely put.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Nicely put.
    What happened to your squirrel? My 3 year old actually recognizes your avatar and is wondering where the squirrel went.
  • Options
    Squirrel, although tuition costs are increasing rather quickly, there are still some good deals to be had, especially for any kid making slightly above average grades. Some states also have great tuition waiver programs, along with private scholarship funds. A reasonable college today actually seems more within reach than it ever has been. And degrees definitely still are paying off, dont let the high Ue rate fool you. Notice that mickey d's is doing that to weed out all the unskilled, non-degree holders, it doesnt really represent the cheapening of a 2 or 4 year degree.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    When I first went back to school, a community college, it was with the intent to eventually transfer to a "wow" school. I was obsessed with it actually. Then as I began to learn more about how things worked I stopped caring so much about what school I went to, and more about the knowledge I needed. I've got friends that "cherry pick" all their classes, so they can get the easiest teachers because they are still in that mindset of getting into the perfect 4 year college. They don't know the material, but they've got outstanding GPAs.

I think the obsession with getting into a "wow" school really comes from insecurity. You either don't what you're doing yet, or lack confidence, and so you feel you need that amazing name to get you the job. I know my stuff now. I'm almost done, and ready to transfer, and there's no way I am going to put my family in debt for 30 years so I can say I graduated from some "wow" school. I want to buy a house, not pay off loans when I get a job.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Interesting.