Home Non Cigar Related

FOR CCOM

mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
Just curious, and this may have been asked before, but can your web / forum designers install a feature so when a member has an unread PM/MSG in their inbox that a little number, star, sun, some other little icon pops up so the member can be notified. Shouldn’t be that hard to do and I think most ppl would be happy not to have to "create" another post just to tell someone to check their PM's.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure CCom said that in order to do that, or add sticky threads...they would have to change their entire system. Something about the whole system is tied together and they can't just change on thing. Not sure if it's true or not. This is like the fifth thread I've read asking for this in five months, so I would not hold your breath bro. Would be nice though..
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It shouldn't be hard to do. Any self respecting script ought to be able to query a database for the email of the PMee, create a socket, and then shoot an email to the PMee, simply saying "Check Your PMs". You just have to break yourself of the silly notion that if it's not in the forum software, as is, as bought years ago, then it can't be done. That's 99% not the case. Worry not. Code is made to be customized. If not, then you need to get off this CommunityServer code and move on, cause tech does not stop.

I have several times offered to take care of chores like this and the formatting backwardness FOR FREE just because I spend so much time on this forum I'd like to see it work better. I have yet to hear a reply from c.com. Maybe cause I am a loose cannon. Okay. So, hey, cigar.com, I'll bet we could shake up six or eight responsible grown up professional members here, each of whom is completely capable of making a PM mailing feature. If you don't want me to do it, ask who else can. If you don't want any of us to do it, hire a guy. It ought to be like a half day job. I belong to a number of fora. Every one of those fora has a "You Have Mail" feature except this one. You get a PM, the forum pings ya, you click to go there. Elementary.

Just trying to help. Really.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Thanks, but judging by the post’s date it's been a year or so. Just looking for an update. And I agree with kuzi, don’t want to lose any of the posted info. Also, for the record, I wasn't complaining, I was inquiring.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    mfotis:
    Thanks, but judging by the post’s date it's been a year or so. Just looking for an update. And I agree with kuzi, don’t want to lose any of the posted info. Also, for the record, I wasn't complaining, I was inquiring.
    It's all good bro, I'm sorry if I made it sound like you were complaining!
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Oh no, not at all. I was just reading the other post and wanted to clarify.