Home General Discussion

polypropylene glycol...

AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
I went down the road of using for some time..... miserable stuff in my experience. Before making a statement like "no one should use this crap" or "complete waste of money", I would like to know your thoughts. In my opinion, you can't beat straight up distilled water.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Pg solution IMO should be used the first time you charge your beads/crystals if they come dry. But don't use it to recharge every time!! It is anti fungal so that's a plus. If you use xikars solution it's almost all distilled water
    Money can't buy taste
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found that is really isnt necessary if you use beads or gel. Sure, you can charge em once, but you dont need to refill with it everytime (same even goes for foam pucks).

I wouldnt say it's useless, but you definitely dont need it all that often. My bottle has lasted years.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    It gummed up every humidifier I have. Used it religiously for the anti-fungal qualities. Over the course of a year of use, I noticed a drop in RH in all of my humidors to some extent (5-10%). I checked the humidifiers and noticed that they were gummy/sticky - pretty gross. I use Paradigm humidifiers so was able to clean them up. I soaked in distilled water and RH is back to normal. Perhaps they would have been able to keep up had it been a humid summer atmosphere but as it is winter and very dry think the gummy/sticky humidifiers could not let out enough moisture. To your point, perhaps a refill with it every 6 months or so may be the ticket. Perhaps, even though they say not to dilute it, perhaps a 50/50 dilution with DW would be good? Thanks for the input. You guys have talked me off the cliff.
    AVJim:
    It gummed up every humidifier I have. Used it religiously for the anti-fungal qualities. Over the course of a year of use, I noticed a drop in RH in all of my humidors to some extent (5-10%). I checked the humidifiers and noticed that they were gummy/sticky - pretty gross. I use Paradigm humidifiers so was able to clean them up. I soaked in distilled water and RH is back to normal. Perhaps they would have been able to keep up had it been a humid summer atmosphere but as it is winter and very dry think the gummy/sticky humidifiers could not let out enough moisture. To your point, perhaps a refill with it every 6 months or so may be the ticket. Perhaps, even though they say not to dilute it, perhaps a 50/50 dilution with DW would be good? Thanks for the input. You guys have talked me off the cliff.
    If you were using a 100% pg solution, I think that is your problem. The pg acts as a buffer, but it needs distilled water to work. Using only 100% pg, it will have no actual water to "release" as your rh drops. No wonder it gummed up on you, it was trying to release humidity when there was no water for it to work with . Using a 50/50 is what I'd recommend, usually you do not need any more pg than that.
    Gray4lines:
    AVJim:
    If you were using a 100% pg solution, I think that is your problem. The pg acts as a buffer, but it needs distilled water to work. Using only 100% pg, it will have no actual water to "release" as your rh drops. No wonder it gummed up on you, it was trying to release humidity when there was no water for it to work with . Using a 50/50 is what I'd recommend, usually you do not need any more pg than that.
    To be clear..... you mix the pre-mixed PG solution 50/50? The bottle says to not dilute. I have Xikar and Madam something or other brand.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    AVJim:
    I went down the road of using for some time..... miserable stuff in my experience. Before making a statement like "no one should use this crap" or "complete waste of money", I would like to know your thoughts. In my opinion, you can't beat straight up distilled water.
    DW is your best source...gels and media like it are temporary types of media that over time actually will cause issues. While gels work if used over time you have to realize that it's the 50/50 method that makes this a viable type of humidification. I've had instances of mold starting to creep into other medias I kept in my humidors..floral foam and even KL would start to stink.
    AVJim:
    Gray4lines:
    AVJim:
    To be clear..... you mix the pre-mixed PG solution 50/50? The bottle says to not dilute. I have Xikar and Madam something or other brand.
    Ah, no. The final solution is 50/50. I thought you had purchased 100% pg and were using that. 50/50 is still high for religious use... pg should be used to charge infrequently (2xa year maybe) and distilled water inbetween, or else (as you witnessed) the pg just builds up into a gunk.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    AVJim:
    Gray4lines:
    AVJim:
    Ah, no. The final solution is 50/50. I thought you had purchased 100% pg and were using that. 50/50 is still high for religious use... pg should be used to charge infrequently (2xa year maybe) and distilled water inbetween, or else (as you witnessed) the pg just builds up into a gunk.

Gray has it. If you use PG in the foam humidifiers, you should only use it a few times per year as you notice the humidity not holding around 70. Should just be adding plain distilled water the rest of the times, or it will gum up your humidifier. I don't mess with the stuff personally, once I switched to litter pearls and beads I've never looked back. Mine sit at 65 to 68, where I like, and never waver beyond that range. I have noticed after 4 years my conservagel beads were getting a musty odor, just bought 8 pounds of litter pearls at Walmart for like 5 bucks and they work exactly the same, just a few rh points lower than my 70 rh beads. The best thing about litter pearls, in a few years when they get an odor, I just toys them and have another 6 pounds to easily replace.
    I love this place!!! I did not have a circle of friends to chat about such things! Thanks everone for the input! I am curious about the kitty litter... I have read enough to know that a lot of folks use it and trust that it works. How do any of you who use it account for the real estate used in your humidors to use it?!?!? I would rather use that space for cigars! Boveda packs and normal humidifiers (Paradigm, Diamond Crown, Cigar Oasis) allow for maximum usage of the humidor space.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    There are several methods for beads/kl and most use up some space in the humidor. I purchased some cheap nylons, sock size, poured in kl and use it that way. I use the dividers to keep it separated from my cigars. But if you have to max your space you can put the kl into the humidity puck that goes in the lid of the humidor. The kl is so superior for humidity control compared to just about every other media, especially when price is figured in, that it is worth the real estate tax for me.EDIT: Most people that hang around here long enough have coolidors to solve that space issue.
    Roberto99:
    There are several methods for beads/kl and most use up some space in the humidor. I purchased some cheap nylons, sock size, poured in kl and use it that way. I use the dividers to keep it separated from my cigars. But if you have to max your space you can put the kl into the humidity puck that goes in the lid of the humidor. The kl is so superior for humidity control compared to just about every other media, especially when price is figured in, that it is worth the real estate tax for me.EDIT: Most people that hang around here long enough have coolidors to solve that space issue.
    I also use kitty litter in nylon socks in both humis and cooler. Really doesnt take up too much space. Same as using the "tubes" for beads.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah good old DW works just fine for my purposes.
    I am feeling a little snubbed for not using kitty litter and a cooler!!! Just kidding!
    Lots of people use pantyhoes to hold litter pearls. Crap u can even just use any plastic or glass container. I open the foam humdifiers(without breaking them) and throw out the floral foam, wash it well with soap n water, and replace with litter pearls oe beads. Tough to see but I just set it in the corner like this. I avoid hanging it on the roof because beads and pearls can give off minute amounts of dust from rubbing together and bouncing around. 1 up top shelf and 1 below for this humi is plenty.
    2013-01-22 18.45.47
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    Boveda is much easier and no mess.
    Chuck N:
    Boveda is expensive as heck, especially considering they don't admit you can recharge the packs like I've learned you can. Even being able to recharge a few times, its still a waste of money throwing expensive boveda packs in the garbage every month. But choose whatever method you want, its a hobby so do it your way. Boveda lost my money when I saw that recently posted you tube video where they scammed beads and gels putting off 100 percent humidity. Scumbag company in my opinion to pull *** like that. Not that they ever got more than a few test orders from me, but they're low down after seeing that video. Scumbags, just my opinion.
    Can't wait to see the results of Catfish's test of Boveda v. others. I like Boveda. I have never had an issue with using the product.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Chuck N:
    Boveda is expensive as heck, especially considering they don't admit you can recharge the packs like I've learned you can. Even being able to recharge a few times, its still a waste of money throwing expensive boveda packs in the garbage every month. But choose whatever method you want, its a hobby so do it your way. Boveda lost my money when I saw that recently posted you tube video where they scammed beads and gels putting off 100 percent humidity. Scumbag company in my opinion to pull *** like that. Not that they ever got more than a few test orders from me, but they're low down after seeing that video. Scumbags, just my opinion.
    im a big supporter of using boveda! One because they do regulate better IMO and in the heat of the summer the humidity spikes! I've tries beads and all that to lower the humidity but nothing worked. I even put 100% pg solution on some beads and the humidity went even higher! Personally I use the boveda 65's and put some beads/gel in there as well...I've been using the same boveda pack for over a year now and have no complaint at all!! If money is a deal breaker just think about how much your cigar collection is worth...then think about how little boveda really costs compared! I sleep better knowing I don't have to worry about humidity issues and that all my cigars are ok
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I've tries beads and all that to lower the humidity but nothing worked. I even put 100% pg solution on some beads and the humidity went even higher!
    Lee, this makes sense, since most any pg solution will contain water. Even though the pg would try and regulate, you are still simply adding extra water to the beads. (I have heard beads do not need pg, and I have only used distilled water with good results).

I agree though. Once beads are "overcharged" they can be hard to bring back down if the ambient rh is high. For beads to lower rh, theyd have to go in bone-dry. I do use beads and have had a good experience. I havent tried boveda, although many use them with great success as well. Try different things and see what you like!