Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Suggestion for Fishing trip

brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
In a couple of weeks a group of my friends and our fathers go on a fishing trip. In the evenings we generally sit around play cards and get shitcanned on regular american pilsners.

What would you guys suggest as a good cigar to bring down to offer to cigar smokers and non smokers alike that goes with american pilsners ?

I am bringing a bunch of cigars for myself to smoke but i want to be able to have a few of something that isn't too heavy but has enough flavor that it doesn't taste like ***. Everyone down there either smokes cigars currently or smokes cigs/smoked cigs in the past.

suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    AJ fresh rolled
    Gran Habano Vintage 2002
    Park Avenue
    Maybe a variety of c.com house blends
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    +1 on the Ccom blends. You can get enough for you and your friends for cheap, and you'll have options.
  • Options
    AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    If cost isn't a factor, I would consider the Fuente Hemingway. They aren't too over-the-top on price, are medium strength (everyone in the party smokes or has and may appreciate), and do not over-power a pilsner. I like them for that sort of occasion. My 2 cents.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    AVO Classic Robusto. Watch the sprint sale.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to suggest the Perdomo Lot 23 because of its ability to stay lit in the damp. If you are sitting round on deck or on the river bank, this could be a good feature. But perhaps it is too flavorful for the non smokers.

For them, you might bring a couple AB Nasty Hooligans, with their mild grassy wrapper and interesting filler. Or the Cusano Xclusivo Preferido, mild, smooth, and an interesting shape.

The Room 101 Serie C conny stands out in my notes as going well with Coors. Has an extremely interesting chocolate thing going on, but with a mild wrapper.

Then again, if you are all going to be smashed, you can't beat the factory Throwout either claro or sungrown. Cheap enough to pitch in the fire, good enough to smoke, stay lit well in the damp, and smokey enough chase the skeeters. That's my campfire fave.

Enjoy.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    AVJim:
    If cost isn't a factor, I would consider the Fuente Hemingway. They aren't too over-the-top on price, are medium strength (everyone in the party smokes or has and may appreciate), and do not over-power a pilsner. I like them for that sort of occasion. My 2 cents.
    price is a factor, but not enough of a factor to get a c.com blend or factory throwouts.
    I'm thinking somewhere in the $4-7 range.
    thanks for the suggestions so far.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, hemmingways are still in that range, for a couple sizes!

I really like brick house cigars; woody, a little spice, thick, creamy smoke, and they are comfortably in that range. Not mild, but not a powerhouse. The maduro is pretty good too.

A regular line padron? Those are fantastic! (and cheap) a huge value in my opinion. Churchills for less than $5!

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    AVJim:
    price is a factor, but not enough of a factor to get a c.com blend or factory throwouts.
    Whoa...Ccom makes some legit cigars.
  • Options
    Rain:
    brianetz1:
    AVJim:
    Whoa...Ccom makes some legit cigars.
    i understand that, but not looking to bring private label cigars to share with others who don't realize that they are good cigars and just look at the band and think i cheaped out. Same thing with xouts.
  • Options
    I was confused because you said "..price is a factor, but not enough of a factor to get a c.com blend." I took that wrong, my bad.If you're friends are gonna think less of you for giving them free cigars...well, can't help there. ;)
  • Options
    Rain:
    I was confused because you said "..price is a factor, but not enough of a factor to get a c.com blend." I took that wrong, my bad.If you're friends are gonna think less of you for giving them free cigars...well, can't help there. ;)
    I know what you mean, but it's like bringing the off brand oreos to a party. they might taste exactly the same, but you are going to be looked down upon.
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't blame you at all.
  • Options
    CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Montesino by Fuente
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Take a few CAO Gold... the hangover cigar... great with coffee.
  • Options
    macs-smokes:
    I was going to add the CAO Gold to my recommendation!!
  • Options
    macs-smokes:
    never tried a CAO gold. Might have to grab a few.....looking at the write up this might be just what i am looking for.
  • Options
    I don't have room for boxes... but I try to always have 3 or 4 on hand... I didn't care for the Gold maduro nearly as much.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I'm relatively newly returned to cigars, but I love the Camcho connies, smooth but good flavor. the monarcha (robusto) is a little under 7 a stick.
  • Options
    macs-smokes:
    I don't have room for boxes... but I try to always have 3 or 4 on hand... I didn't care for the Gold maduro nearly as much.
    it must run in the name because i felt the same way with the 5 vegas. the gold i like, tbe gold maduro.....not a fan.
  • Options
    I really like the finish and the cream that are left on the palette with the Gold, but the Maduro has a different finish. I am sure it is the wrapper and I love maduros. They are two similar yet different cigars.
  • Options
    macs-smokes:
    I really like the finish and the cream that are left on the palette with the Gold, but the Maduro has a different finish. I am sure it is the wrapper and I love maduros. They are two similar yet different cigars.
    If looking for a good alternative to the CAO Gold, try the La Unica. They are a great smoke for the price. I do not think they are available at CCom though.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDN Consul
    Bueso Genesis
    Padron Thousand series
    LFD Airbender
    Have fun Brian!!