Home Cigar 101

Anyone ever explode a Humi-Care rectangular humidifier?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has this ever happened to you? I was trying to follow the manufacturers instructions and let it soak in distilled water for 4 hours. Forgot all about it and in the morning the pan was full of clear glistening marble sized gel beads. The two halves of the plastic housing had separated and there were 3 or 4 times as many beads as would now fit inside the housing. You think they put too many beads in the housing or did I just over-soak it? Also, will this harm the beads future performance in any way?

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Has this ever happened to you? I was trying to follow the manufacturers instructions and let it soak in distilled water for 4 hours. Forgot all about it and in the morning the pan was full of clear glistening marble sized gel beads. The two halves of the plastic housing had separated and there were 3 or 4 times as many beads as would now fit inside the housing. You think they put too many beads in the housing or did I just over-soak it? Also, will this harm the beads future performance in any way?
    Wow!! I magine just over soaked. Maybe when they dry out, they will all fit? I have never used those particular humidifiers. I would not think the beads would be harmed by a one-time oversoak
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Grey. I have not used this particular brand. For a while now I've had one of the cheap clear pucks that Ccom sells (M-HUM45 9820-3-7) and the beads look similar. In fact I was also soaking two (same model) new pucks along with the Humi-Care but the housing is solidly glued on the little pucks. The beads in the new pucks also expanded way larger than I'd ever seen my other one expand but they didn't break out of the housing.
  • krebsiekrebsie Moderator Posts: 86 admin
    Bob Luken:
    Hey Grey. I have not used this particular brand. For a while now I've had one of the cheap clear pucks that Ccom sells (M-HUM45 9820-3-7) and the beads look similar. In fact I was also soaking two (same model) new pucks along with the Humi-Care but the housing is solidly glued on the little pucks. The beads in the new pucks also expanded way larger than I'd ever seen my other one expand but they didn't break out of the housing.

Yeah, they are just over soaked. Shouldn't be a long term problem, just let them shrink down a bit and put them back in the humidifier and you will be ok.

PS. I have done this before, it didn't seem to hurt anything.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty common, sometimes they over fill them. Not sure how they manage that. But I had one do it so I just devided it in half and now I got 2. And they still last for a couple months each in my 300ct humi.