Home General Discussion
Options

Opus X

AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
I know many of you guys have experienced the Opus X. I have not... I don't have a good excuse. Whenever I have picked one up at the B&M, someone has talked me out of buying it. Something is always "better" for the money. Although I have had some great sticks as a result of this happening I am left feeling like I am missing something. I love the story behind these sticks. I really like a lot of Fuente cigars! I treasure the Anejo, Don Carlos, Hemingways, Sun Growns, etc...
Can anyone here add some insight?
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just get one! I have not smoked one, but do have one in the humi waiting (thanks to tony). Never know till you try, and if you like other fuentes id bet its right up your alley.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    I smoked one quite a few years ago and wasn't impressed. Over the years, I've been "developing my palate" and am to the point where I can detect nuances that were foreign to me back then.

That being said, I absolutely love the flavor profile of most Opus X's. The strength and complexity are matched by a few, but not many.
    Since you've already tried the Don Carlos and Anejo's, give an Opus a try.
    The worst thing that can happen is you'll say "I tried it and it wasn't for me".

Actually the worst thing that can happen is that you'll fall in love with them ($$$).
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I understand A Fuentes is fairly strict about their pricing and I would surmise that the B&M makes more selling you other sticks. I may be wrong. Smoke the darn thing. You'll see it's a pretty special cigar. The real hard cores here will tell you its best to let them rest for at least 1 year. And its' true, they do get better with age.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Pick some some IMO and bury them in your humidor. They are great with 3+ years of age on them! Everyones taste is different, so if you decided you dont like them, you can always sell them back to the community.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Opus X cigars are definitely overpriced but unique cigars. They need rest at least 2-3 years. Though they put year on the box but in reality that information is little missleading. A true Vintage cigar wrapper, binder and fillers should come from the same year otherwise it is not a vintage cigar. Cuban cigars are good in this. However 99% non-Cuban cigars are not Vintage except La Aurora Vintage 2003. This is where aging became little tricky with non- Cuban cigar.

Now back to the subject, Opus X wrapper, binder, fillers are from different years production and require 2-3 years to get settled and mellow out. Brand new Opus X cigars have overpowering strength, ammonia and harshness. just buy some now and store them in a way so you have some ready to smoke every year. This is a reason, recently I ordered a box of Opus X Lost city 2012 and added to my aging project. I will forget about the box for three years. Once Opus X, Forbidden X have some age, they are unique and excellent smoke. I have a full humidor and some singles Don Carlos Anniversario from 2006 and they are ready. More aging will just make them more mellow. When cigars mellow out it also start loosing some background flavors and aroma. After 12-15 years age, cigar start loosing flavors as well. This is what I have been told by the Cuban cigar makers and also from Don Pepin Garica. Anyway, the whole purpose of my "Cigar Aging Project" is to verify the aging theory by myself.
  • Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    I never tried the Opus X, but I love the Anejos.
  • Options
    rzaman:
    Opus X cigars are definitely overpriced but unique cigars. They need rest at least 2-3 years. Though they put year on the box but in reality that information is little missleading. A true Vintage cigar wrapper, binder and fillers should come from the same year otherwise it is not a vintage cigar. Cuban cigars are good in this. However 99% non-Cuban cigars are not Vintage except La Aurora Vintage 2003. This is where aging became little tricky with non- Cuban cigar.

Now back to the subject, Opus X wrapper, binder, fillers are from different years production and require 2-3 years to get settled and mellow out. Brand new Opus X cigars have overpowering strength, ammonia and harshness. just buy some now and store them in a way so you have some ready to smoke every year. This is a reason, recently I ordered a box of Opus X Lost city 2012 and added to my aging project. I will forget about the box for three years. Once Opus X, Forbidden X have some age, they are unique and excellent smoke. I have a full humidor and some singles Don Carlos Anniversario from 2006 and they are ready. More aging will just make them more mellow. When cigars mellow out it also start loosing some background flavors and aroma. After 12-15 years age, cigar start loosing flavors as well. This is what I have been told by the Cuban cigar makers and also from Don Pepin Garica. Anyway, the whole purpose of my "Cigar Aging Project" is to verify the aging theory by myself.
    I'll take this to the bank!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    with opus x remember the smaller the ring, the better. they dont do as well with the larger rings. i feel the flavor gets washed out.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    with opus x remember the smaller the ring, the better. they dont do as well with the larger rings. i feel the flavor gets washed out.
    As the Anejo and Opus X are so closely related, would this (in your opinion) apply to it as well? I love the Anejo #77 Shark and was gravitating towards the Opus #77 Shark but perhaps not the best idea? BTW, I would really love to try a Sand Shark! When are they released?
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Ring gauge does matter but when you smoke a torpedo shape cigar, you have more control to intensity of a cigar even if its come with larger ring gauge. Anejo or Cuban Montecristo no. 2 or Robina Unicos are few in the market. You cut the end with small ring gauge so you are in control of the intensity of the smoke. However, the construction and blends need to be there. This is a reason torpedo, Lancero and petit corona are my favourite shape. It is important.
    AVJim:
    kuzi16:
    As the Anejo and Opus X are so closely related, would this (in your opinion) apply to it as well? I love the Anejo #77 Shark and was gravitating towards the Opus #77 Shark but perhaps not the best idea? BTW, I would really love to try a Sand Shark! When are they released?
  • Options
    Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    It's worth getting one....just one though. I myself have tried it several times over the years...I really don't see whats so impressive about it. I mean sure it burns great and solid construction. But give me an El Baton instead.
  • Options
    AVJim:
    kuzi16:
    i have found that larger Anejos do not suffer the way larger OpusX do. of course this is pure opiion.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    AVJim:
    BTW, I would really love to try a Sand Shark! When are they released?
    They were released in a limited edition sampler back in 2006. They are very rare. If you do find one for sale on the secondary market, plan to pay a lot. As for the OpusX, I would just pick one up and give it a try. You said you have them available locally. Are the priced remotely close to retail or are they listed for $20-$30? If you can find them at their proper retail price, they really aren't that expensive.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Opus X is probably my favorite smoke, particularly the Perfecxion #2 with some age. Love the flavor profile and the silky smoothness of the smoke. I usually can find them at or near MSRP, and would not pay ccom prices for them.

• Options
    SleevePlz:
    AVJim:
    They were released in a limited edition sampler back in 2006. They are very rare. If you do find one for sale on the secondary market, plan to pay a lot.
    last time i found a sand shark was in 2009 and i purchased it for around $65.
    i didnt smoke it. i bought it for an old forum buddy.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Only one I have smoked is the Perfecxion No. 5. It was absolutely blissful. I don't know how much time was on it I would say at least 8-10 months. I got it in a trade with Sleeve and now knowing Sleeve better, I assume it had some age on it before it got to me. Now mind you I was on a third floor balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Maui with a nice drink and a slight breeze and that could have added to the experience but it was fabulous, there is no doubt. Light citrus, floral notes with a perfect amount of everything else, toast, wood, nuttiness. A well balanced cigar to say the least. But as Jose Blanco says your state of mind and your surroundings have just as much to do with your experience as the cigar itself. My .02.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info/advice!
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I do like the opus! It is strong to begin with and age does do justice for them! I never go by year with them but wrapper color. I find darker wrappers better and last year for me that was the ****. That being said send me your addy and ill throw you one...every one should at least try them!! But I do really enjoy the anejo 50's the best out of Fuentes line and think it's a awesome stick!! But yes age will help in both regards
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I never go by year with them but wrapper color. I find darker wrappers better
    to me the best vintage was the 2006. i wish i had one so that i could compare. i never thought about that when i had a few of them left.

i also find the same with the millennium blend from Davidoff. the darker the wrapper on those the better.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    SleevePlz:
    AVJim:
    They were released in a limited edition sampler back in 2006. They are very rare. If you do find one for sale on the secondary market, plan to pay a lot.
    I remeber that. Did he ever end up smoking it?

op, if you can get two for around msrp get them. if you like lanceros then get those or a robusto or even the bellicoso. like others have said they start to shine after about two or three years. though some years i feel they smoke fine right away. you could always smoke one after you get them and save the other to smoke years after. i didn't like them when i first started but after i got my pallet going i really enjoyed them. now i have a humi just for opus singles.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    SleevePlz:
    AVJim:
    I remeber that. Did he ever end up smoking it?
    no clue.