Home General Discussion
Options

Different primings

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
So the Undercrown is an off shoot of the #9 but with different primings of the same blend and a different wrapper. I wonder what a cigar like Opus X would be like if Fuentes tried that? Or maybe they have and I just haven't heard about it.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    So the Undercrown is an off shoot of the #9 but with different primings of the same blend and a different wrapper. I wonder what a cigar like Opus X would be like if Fuentes tried that? Or maybe they have and I just haven't heard about it.
    the biggest problem would be the wrapper leaf. it is very difficult to grow wrapper leaf in the dominican and only certain primings handle it well. a step down in priming and they may be to week or fragile to stand up to fermentation or the rest of the blend and a step up and we run into some seriously thick ligero leaf that would cause burn issues even if extensively fermented. the OpusX already has a difficult burn a good portion of the time.

the different primings of filler leaves are probably already used in in the other fuente lines.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Rhamlin:
    the biggest problem would be the wrapper leaf. it is very difficult to grow wrapper leaf in the dominican and only certain primings handle it well. a step down in priming and they may be to week or fragile to stand up to fermentation or the rest of the blend and a step up and we run into some seriously thick ligero leaf that would cause burn issues even if extensively fermented. the OpusX already has a difficult burn a good portion of the time.

the different primings of filler leaves are probably already used in in the other fuente lines.
    I didn't know that wrapper leaf was more difficult to grow. Thanks for the info Kuzi. Isn't there another Fuentes cigar that is rumored to have the same wrapper as the Opus X but with a completely different blend?
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Rhamlin:
    kuzi16:
    Rhamlin:

I didn't know that wrapper leaf was more difficult to grow. Thanks for the info Kuzi. Isn't there another Fuentes cigar that is rumored to have the same wrapper as the Opus X but with a completely different blend?
    I'm curious as to the same thing. That wrapper is awesome. Kuz?
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Don Carlos Edicon de Anniversario. Now a days Dominican produces a lot of wrapper leaves. One of them is the Yamasa wrapper Davidoff uses for Puro de Oro. Because of the strong wind it used to be very difficult and people didn't try enough. Now they grow a lot of wrapper leaves in DR.
    beatnic:
    Rhamlin:
    kuzi16:
    Rhamlin:

I'm curious as to the same thing. That wrapper is awesome. Kuz?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Don Carlos Edicon de Anniversario. Now a days Dominican produces a lot of wrapper leaves. One of them is the Yamasa wrapper Davidoff uses for Puro de Oro. Because of the strong wind it used to be very difficult and people didn't try enough. Now they grow a lot of wrapper leaves in DR.
    what he said...

its not that the wrapper is "that awesome" it is that in relation to other countries, the terrain and climate make it relatively difficult to grow wrapper leaf. it is being done more and more often now but the OpusX was the first.
  • Options
    Always learning something here!