Home General Discussion

anyone ever roll there own cigars?

2»

Comments

• curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Great thread here guys enjoying the education !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Threadjack. Davis, you got any Webby Limitadas left?
    Good stuff! Well worth a try.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    I used pectin. Never had a taste from it. But then, you appear to be putting on a whole heck of a lot more than a dab, judging from the glossy heads in your pics. I just put the eeniest bit on. I'm going to a cigar factory on Saturday. I'll try and remember to ask the owner what he uses for glue.

Ever take a gander at wholeleaftobacco.com for your leaf?

yeah i was having issues with the glues thats why some have a gloss on them,
    that website looks like it has a different dom leaf as well as the habano, going to try there sampler and see how they turn out
    perkinke:
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    o.k. these have been resting for about 7-10 days,
    one thing i noticed the "cigar glues" i was using, i have used pectin, well the only bad part i was able to only find it with acid in it, hence the flavor will carry over to the cigars,and it did a acid sour taste
    the acacia gum well that works, flavorless but really freakin sticky had to keep rinsing my fingers after use
    i tried the leaf only brand, well thats acacia gum also just repacked
    now finally i decided to drop the $10 and $7.50 shipping and handling from rollers choice, well for anyone looking for the real deal of cigar glue? this is it, its something called Bermocol, well after following the mixing guide and tweeking it just enough to compensate because all states is a "spoon" nothing specific on what size spoon,
    this gelled up after about 30 mins, once placed in the fridge it really firmed up,
    this is what you see the cuban/ domincan cigar rollers using a thick oinment looking glue, the pic below is what i did a 7-10 days back, i'm waiting on a corona size mold/press and once that comes i will roll some domincan/habano blend and some nicaragua/habano blend, nd i think i have enough for some brazilian/habano and or dominican blends

those look great, what size you rolling? And which was easier, the round cap or the pig tail you have in the middle of the bottom row?
    these are a robusto 48 ring, its easiser to do a pig tail, but depending on how many caps, it gets harder, doing a triple cap pigtail start to get thick, putting a round cap is just as bad, if your going for tradtional triple caps then it takes a bit of time to do it right
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These all from a mold then?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

8 of them are from a mold, the rest i used a newspaper wrap to help hold the shape till i could wrap them
    the mold is not that good, i dont like how this one was made so i ordered a different one from another mold maker
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Those look so cool Joe! Awesome! Hope they taste as good as they look!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do really look good. Good job, dude
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    They do really look good. Good job, dude
    the ones i have smoked are a mild cigar, the wrappers being CT, the binder is a dom, and the fillers are dom ligero/dom seco/habano
    flavor is mild could use a bit of a boost to kick it up some but i think for being something i made from stock leaves and putting the time in they came out pretty decent.
    may not be everyones type of cigar, but i like them just need to work on getting the blend down, and once thats done it will be all good, my rolling has gotten better,once i know i have gotten the whole thing down i'll send out a few samples for some of you
    tools for the trade
    been busy
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Now that is an impressive looking cigar! Friends of mine have tried growing and then rolling their own and it's not as easy as one would think. It gave them a much more broader appreciation of what is actually going on in the making of a cigar...it's not just a plant and leaves that you roll after it's ready. Just rolling a cigar and making it look uniform isn't easy and takes a lot of practice. The looks of that cigar appears that you could have a future in rolling them.
    it's alot harder then i ever thought, the ones pictured been resting just about 60 days, and i just rolled another blend today,
    i had to contact jorge over at otoao and pic his brain on how much tobacco is used on certain sizes, he has been very helpful and even helped with a few blends i was debating on,
    i am going to smoke another one of the rested and see what the flavors have come to, they are all domincan based with either habano, camaroon, dominican, honduran or nicaraguan fillers, and either habano, connie or dominican wrappers. they all seem to have the same color.
    i have rolled over 60 cigars and i have had some of my buds try them, the only real issue i have had was either to tight of draw or to loose of a roll. flavor wise they have liked them, but thats just their opinion and could be different of the next person.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I have to agree with you on how hard it is to roll them...it's just something that I can't get my mind around as to how to pack them so that they aren't too loose or tight. I like a dense cigar but not where I have to suck in my cheeks to draw from it. The Dominican leaf is one of my favorites as it seems to hold a deeper flavor profile and is pretty close to cuban leaf that I have come across. The more dominican leaf, wrapper one can put in it is pretty hard to beat.