Home General Discussion
Options

Preparing Cigars for Humidor

Do you cut the ends of your cigars before putting them in the humidor? (Told you I was a novice!!) George

Comments

• Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Nope. Un cap before smoking.
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Feel free to send all your cigars to me and I will "prep" them for you just right :-)
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, somebody herf up with George, will ya? Help the new brother out.

George, give us at least a general idea where you live to a borther of the leaf can PM you and invite you over. Show you which end to light and which end to draw.

Or else, read everything ever posted by Kuzi in room 101. That works.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Hey, somebody herf up with George, will ya? Help the new brother out.

George, give us at least a general idea where you live to a borther of the leaf can PM you and invite you over. Show you which end to light and which end to draw.

Or else, read everything ever posted by Kuzi in room 101. That works.

Yeah, give us a state at least!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    George_patGeorge_pat Posts: 9
    I'm in Louisville, KY (preparing for the Derby). I am seasoning my humidor right now. I will read the posts. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    George_pat:
    I'm in Louisville, KY (preparing for the Derby). I am seasoning my humidor right now. I will read the posts. Thanks again.
    I bet that's fun! I'll be moving down to KY in june! Looking forward to bourbon tours...
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    To expand a bit on the answers given - no prep is necessary. You don't even need to take the cigars out of the plastic (called cellophane, or just cello, for short) before you dump them into your humi - the cellophane breathes, allowing air and humidification in and out, so the cigars can stay it for years.
  • Options
    Gol dang you George! You get to live down in Gawd's Country! Beautiful state, innit?

As a matter of fact I hope to get to KY this Spring. But I'll be the other side of Lexington from you.

Last time I was in Louisville was because I bought a BMW R1200C motorcycle for a mere twenty seven hundred on the internet, and rode it back. Pulled in the drive at home and my neighbor Klaus who hails from Bavaria fell in love with it -- swarz mit weiss, you know. Bought it off me for eight grand, eight days later. Best and quickest bike flip I ever pulled. It was a great ride, though. Still regret selling it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    lemme throw a monkey wrench into the mix.

there is a theory that cutting a cigar before you put it into the humidor will allow for a more even distribution of moisture within the cigar itself. it will age more uniformly and the initial acclimation time to the RH that you prefer will be significantly shorter.
    with air able to flow not just around the cigar but through it moisture is free to move about the cigar.

of course this is all just theory and unproven (especially by 99% of all people out there. i mean really who will notice how "even" a cigar ages? or how fast it acclimates to your own RH? not me. probably not you either. at some point its just over the top)

i dont cut mine before putting them into the humidor, but doing so wont hurt in any way and theoretically, it could help.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Sometimes when I feel a cigar is spongy I cut it and let it sit for a week or so and most of the time it drys out slowly to proper humidity, I don't know if anyone else does this
  • Options
    AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    kuzi16:
    lemme throw a monkey wrench into the mix.

there is a theory that cutting a cigar before you put it into the humidor will allow for a more even distribution of moisture within the cigar itself. it will age more uniformly and the initial acclimation time to the RH that you prefer will be significantly shorter.
    with air able to flow not just around the cigar but through it moisture is free to move about the cigar.

of course this is all just theory and unproven (especially by 99% of all people out there. i mean really who will notice how "even" a cigar ages? or how fast it acclimates to your own RH? not me. probably not you either. at some point its just over the top)

i dont cut mine before putting them into the humidor, but doing so wont hurt in any way and theoretically, it could help.

Kuzi.... damn you! You always make me think about stuff!!!! I have noticed that the Hemingway (perfecto) ages much differently than it's brothers in the same humi. Perhaps it's because it isn't breathing at all the same.... makes sense. Ever experienced this? Perhaps cutting the cap would help?
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • Options
    Hey George, how'd you make out at the Derby? Gonna retire on your winnings, buy a horse farm, and sit round smoking cigars on the verandah rest of your life?

Or is that next year?