Home General Discussion
Options

The Marsh Wheeling Stogie Co

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know they are just machine mades but ever since I heard of them I've been looking for it from the river. Since they was from my home state.Recently read they are in Frankfort Ind soi gave up ever seeing the place. Well today I saw this and just had to get a pic.image

Comments

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a set up run!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like they get much walk up traffic! Nice pic what years did they operate there?
  • Options
    bripperbripper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Thanks for the cool photo. Marsh Wheeling Stogie was my first smoke -- at my grandfather's drugstore in Homestead PA. It was 1962, and I have smoked a cigar at least once a day since.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    they arent bad for a machine made. give em a shot.

the term "stogie" came from this company. the settlers moving west that started out in West Virginia/Ohio area often passed by this factory and would get cigars from them. the long thin cigars (usually close to a box pressed lancero of todays terminology) came in boxes that were easy to pack in the Conestoga wagons. the shape became the standard cigars for those traveling west. "stogies" is the vernacular for the shape of those cigars.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Nice picture, interesting history
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

the term "stogie" came from this company. the settlers moving west that started out in West Virginia/Ohio area often passed by this factory and would get cigars from them. the long thin cigars (usually close to a box pressed lancero of todays terminology) came in boxes that were easy to pack in the Conestoga wagons. the shape became the standard cigars for those traveling west. "stogies" is the vernacular for the shape of those cigars.

This is why I love this place. Awesome story.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    Martel:
    kuzi16:

This is why I love this place. Awesome story.
    +1
  • Options
    According to wiki the Wheeling Wv plant was closed in 2001 and the company moved to Frankfort Ind. I guess the city left up the sign as a landmark couldn't seethe building. I also read that an empty box was used in the movie the Green Mile as Mr Jangles home.( the mouse )
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool picture, Ricky!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll have to hunt up a Marsh Wheeling and give it a smoke. I have a thing for American cigars. I don't care that it's machine made -- even my motorcycles are machine made. I really do appreciate the deft artistry of Maria Luisa Guadalupe Fernandina Primavera Marisol Flor Garcia y Fernandez and her sister Luz, don't get me wrong. But here in America, we chose machines over sweatshops a hundred years ago. That's us.

Guys. you should check out a machine rolling cigar factory if you ever get a chance. The best genius of the 19th century goes into those machines. Quality clever work.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    I'll have to hunt up a Marsh Wheeling and give it a smoke. I have a thing for American cigars. I don't care that it's machine made -- even my motorcycles are machine made. I really do appreciate the deft artistry of Maria Luisa Guadalupe Fernandina Primavera Marisol Flor Garcia y Fernandez and her sister Luz, don't get me wrong. But here in America, we chose machines over sweatshops a hundred years ago. That's us.

Guys. you should check out a machine rolling cigar factory if you ever get a chance. The best genius of the 19th century goes into those machines. Quality clever work.

Have they figured out a long-filler rolling machine? Or are they all short-filler?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Far as I know, they are all flakes. But I will have to ask just that next weekend, when I go to visit a guy who inherited a 150 year old factory. Might surprise me.

Check this machinery out. One look at all those big leather drive belts and it's easy to see how that old dog got his tail docked.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Rhamlin:
    According to wiki the Wheeling Wv plant was closed in 2001 and the company moved to Frankfort Ind. I guess the city left up the sign as a landmark couldn't seethe building. I also read that an empty box was used in the movie the Green Mile as Mr Jangles home.( the mouse )
    here is a pic of the actual prop: image

i couldnt find a shot from the movie itself.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Far as I know, they are all flakes. But I will have to ask just that next weekend, when I go to visit a guy who inherited a 150 year old factory. Might surprise me.

Check this machinery out. One look at all those big leather drive belts and it's easy to see how that old dog got his tail docked.

Very cool, there is one of the last steam powered lumber mills nearby that I have always meant to go tour but never have.
  • Options
    "here is a pic of the actual prop: " No prisoner on death row ought to be smoking cigars. That right there could be detrimental to his health.

• Options
    kuzi16:
    Rhamlin:
    here is a pic of the actual prop: image

i couldnt find a shot from the movie itself.
    Cool
  • Options
    bripperbripper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Here is a good web site with much info on Marsh Wheeling and National cigars: http://www.broadleafcigars.com/welcome.htm#contents
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    I know they are just machine mades but ever since I heard of them I've been looking for it from the river. Since they was from my home state.Recently read they are in Frankfort Ind soi gave up ever seeing the place. Well today I saw this and just had to get a pic.image
    Makin' the bridge AND takin' pics at the same time? You gots the skills.
  • Options
    First time I saw that bridge it scared the bejebus out of me.
  • Options
    Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    That's a cool story and the history that's behind it. Better watch out for American Pickers they will be going after that signage. lol....
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting, these were my first step up from Swishers, and my staple smoke for a few years, until I discovered A&C Grenadiers. Onward and upward! I still look for them in drugstores, etc., but have been reluctant to order a whole box, it's been a loooong time, and I know my tastes have changed. Still, there may be something to be said for memory lane.

Also, Mark Twain talks about Wheeling cigars in his autobiography, mentions finding them "about right" and buying them "by the barrel"
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    So what did they smoke like? You remember?

• Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    according to thompson cigars they have them, if anyone really wants to try them from the current owner
  • Options
    webmost:
    not complex. a little sweet a little bland. mild overall. its a good cigar to do yard work with. they dont last long but they are less than a buck a pop so its no biggie.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    webmost:
    not complex. a little sweet a little bland. mild overall. its a good cigar to do yard work with. they dont last long but they are less than a buck a pop so its no biggie.
    Agreed. I do remember that it was the first cigar that I got a leather taste from. It surprised me, and I've sort of gotten a leather from cigars ever since.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    So I hit up the National Cigar web site. They are the company bought Marsh. I have seen worse sites; but can't think of one right now. They have dozens of brands I have never heard of, like Versa and Hauptmann and Evermore and Ibold Black Pete. I found their contact page and shot off a message asking how to get a few. Got back a lengthy email with half a dozen PDF attachments. A form you have to fill out swearing to your age. A mail order form you print off and fill out like an old fashioned order form, then drop in the mail with a check. A product list. Nearly all their cigars have paper binder. They don't call it paper. They call it homogenized tobacco. Dudes, give it up, it's paper. Marsh Wheelings apparently have paper binder. Minimum order is fifty cigars. Then there's a page recommending you order from Thompson.

I might try a fiver of one of their natural leaf cigars just for the heck of it; but I am not inclined to spring for fifty.

• Options
    Same here. I would like to get 5. One to try, a couple to give out to buddy's .and just have one in the humi just because I think it's cool.
  • Options
    There was a nice article on Marsh Wheeling in the 70's in a literary magazine called "AUDIENCE". Also these are the cigars Clint Eastwood smoked in his movies. Reportedly they were the only ones he could stand to smoke. They were filming in W.Virginia and he had them brought in from California to be sure he had them! That's the story I heard anyway.
  • Options
    retrorockit:
    There was a nice article on Marsh Wheeling in the 70's in a literary magazine called "AUDIENCE". Also these are the cigars Clint Eastwood smoked in his movies. Reportedly they were the only ones he could stand to smoke. They were filming in W.Virginia and he had them brought in from California to be sure he had them! That's the story I heard anyway.
    Guess Clint ain't a true cigar fiend
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bripper:
    Here is a good web site with much info on Marsh Wheeling and National cigars: http://www.broadleafcigars.com/welcome.htm#contents

Thanks for the link. All kinds of history today.