Online sales tax

2»

Comments

• Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    ddubridge:
    Roberto99:
    I have a question (that is not in response to anyone's comments here or to be construed as making my own commentary.) Can I buy a new car online from a different state right now and not have to pay any sales tax?
    Nope, you have to pay the sales tax on the vehicle when you title it in your state. If you arent going to title it, no sales tax. Just not sure how you are going to drive it.
    I've heard of people doing this with motorcycles. Buy in another state, ride it home, and now it's taxed at a used price.

Do they just use a kbb used bike value when they register it?
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    kuzi16:
    Amos Umwhat:
    The Harrison Bergeron approach, more and more popular with the govt.
    this ^^^ is a great post right here.

i wish more people would understand that this is exactly what is going on.
    Thanks for bumping that reference. I'd never heard of that story. Googled it up, found the story on line and goddang if it ain't the stark naked truth.

there was also a movie, which I have on tape, which barely plays anymore. I've always thought of Diane Feinstein as the role-model for Diana Moon-Glompers. (pulled that name from memory, think I got it right)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    kuzi16:
    Amos Umwhat:
    The Harrison Bergeron approach, more and more popular with the govt.
    this ^^^ is a great post right here.

i wish more people would understand that this is exactly what is going on.
    Thanks for bumping that reference. I'd never heard of that story. Googled it up, found the story on line and goddang if it ain't the stark naked truth.

Same here! Learned something new
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    webmost:
    ddubridge:
    Roberto99:
    I have a question (that is not in response to anyone's comments here or to be construed as making my own commentary.) Can I buy a new car online from a different state right now and not have to pay any sales tax?
    Nope, you have to pay the sales tax on the vehicle when you title it in your state. If you arent going to title it, no sales tax. Just not sure how you are going to drive it.
    I've heard of people doing this with motorcycles. Buy in another state, ride it home, and now it's taxed at a used price.

Do they just use a kbb used bike value when they register it?
    That's what they use here in Dull-Aware. (The one and only sales tax we have in this state is 3% when you register a vehicle. It used to be 1 1/2%). Dunno what they use in other states. Point is, day you drive off the new car lot you lose umpty thousand bucks which you would not have to pay tax on if you registered it used. Taxed Enough Already = TEA.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I thought that we were just taxed the going sales tax rate here in MN which is around 6.8% and more if you are in a city that has additional sales tax levies.