Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Shipping Beer

bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
There are a couple of regional brews I want that aren't available in my area. Has anyone shipped beer before? How bad is shipping? Is it worth it?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Are the brews available at places like Bevmo that will ship for you? I've never packed up and shipped beer myself so I'm just as curious how plausible this would end up being.
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I have had a membership in the beer of the month club... (microbrews) they shipped 4 six packs don't think it was outrageous prices either... like $6-8 each batch.
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    I have, figure $12. And it can get messy.
    I suggest using Packing tape on the lids.
    Looks like heck but helps.
    Have had several break too.
    Uses double ziplock baggies, doubled or tripled for each bottle.
    Cans are not as bad an issue.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    shipped my first big box of beer a few weeks ago. my advice is to use a lot of packing materials, like those plastic sheets with bubbles. everything arrived in good order. the cost was like 45 bucks to ship a box of beer through fed ex. fed ex seems to be the best to ship through.
  • Options
    I was wondering the feasibility of getting some shipped to me, but it sounds like more trouble/expense than it's worth and Bevmo doesn't ship here. Thanks anyway guys!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    bbass2:
    I was wondering the feasibility of getting some shipped to me, but it sounds like more trouble/expense than it's worth and Bevmo doesn't ship here. Thanks anyway guys!
    but does Bevmo sell it? If so, I can have it shipped here and reship to you.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I'll back what Squirrel said as we made a big beer trade recently. I've done multiple trades through Beer Advocate (at least a dozen) and I have to say: use FedEx, NOT USPS and packing supplies are your best friend. Peanuts, bubble wrap, paper bags, etc. Make sure you pack everything extremely well.

One thing I do to make sure everything's packed ok: Once you have the box packed and sealed up, hold it up about 4 feet off the ground and drop it. If nothing breaks or rattles around, you're good. That's the key. Make sure NOTHING can move AT ALL.

What were you looking for?
  • Options
    I was looking for Moose Drool.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Save your money lol. The last time I had moose drool it was awful, but it might have been old and a little skanky. Also, check liquormart.com they sell all of the big sky beers if I remember correctly.
    Edit--- Nevermind, they only ship wine and non-alcoholic stuff.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    There you go. If you still want to try it, just find a brother on here that can pick it up at his local shop and set up a trade for stuff he can't get. I love trading locals for locals. Check out seekabrew.com for distribution info on most beer.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We got Moose Drool here or you can get "Montana's Best" 12-pack...they have lots of different beers...lmk..
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't ship beer. You shwill it. Shezus.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    I'll back what Squirrel said as we made a big beer trade recently. I've done multiple trades through Beer Advocate (at least a dozen) and I have to say: use FedEx,
    Or UPS ... I always use them.
    Rob1110:
    NOT USPS and packing supplies are your best friend. Peanuts, bubble wrap, paper bags, etc. Make sure you pack everything extremely well.

+1
    I wrap each bottle in bubble wrap --- then put the bottles in ziploc bags. 3 bottles can fit snugly in a 1-gal ziploc bag. Tape the bag shut. Then wrap the bag with a couple layers of bubble wrap.

And fill all of the empty space with packing mtrl ... peanuts, crumpled paper, air pillows, etc.

If you want to be super duper safe, double box it. Pack the beer in a small box seal it shut then put that inside of a larger box filled with packing peanuts.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Rob1110:
    I'll back what Squirrel said as we made a big beer trade recently. I've done multiple trades through Beer Advocate (at least a dozen) and I have to say: use FedEx,
    Or UPS ... I always use them.
    Rob1110:
    NOT USPS and packing supplies are your best friend. Peanuts, bubble wrap, paper bags, etc. Make sure you pack everything extremely well.

+1
    I wrap each bottle in bubble wrap --- then put the bottles in ziploc bags. 3 bottles can fit snugly in a 1-gal ziploc bag. Tape the bag shut. Then wrap the bag with a couple layers of bubble wrap.

And fill all of the empty space with packing mtrl ... peanuts, crumpled paper, air pillows, etc.

If you want to be super duper safe, double box it. Pack the beer in a small box seal it shut then put that inside of a larger box filled with packing peanuts.
    John does a helluva good pack job as I have enjoyed some of his local offerings! Yum!!!