Home Ratings & Reviews

Don Lino

I have had the Africa before, and thought it was good. Recently had the San Andreas and thought it was even better, especially for a value stick. Anyone else try these? Thoughts?

Comments

• Sweetleaf69Sweetleaf69 Posts: 43
    Sorry, guys.. Didn't mean to be precocious or intently vague... Still a newb, and still trying to find my sea legs on the flavor development. Seems I am at an awkward pass... Too new to give any real review, but smoked too many not to be inquisitive.. Looking for some comparative replies to let me know I am on the right track ;-)
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't be sorry...I have had the Africa and was rather disappointed with it. I feel for the $6 range you can and will find much better!! Personally is look at the padron thousand line and also for a natural wrapper I really like the fuente rosado grand reserva. Both have better construction and IMO better flavors. But one thing ill tell you is don't keep price in mind!! If it looks good and you want to try it buy it!! Go to a b&m find the stuff you like and then order from Ccom at much better prices!!
    Money can't buy taste
    I hear that. But, I certainly did not blow $6 for one of these. Maybe for the pack ;-)
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweetleaf69:
    I hear that. But, I certainly did not blow $6 for one of these. Maybe for the pack ;-)
    well that's good!! Trust me on this...IMO finding budget sticks is over rated!! I've tried and failed plenty of times and it always ends the same...you get sick of them and don't want to waste your time and money searching for the next. A cigar is suppose to be a good experience not just a habit! Go with what you like no matter the cost and you'll be happier! Time is money and searching for the next best bang for your buck takes a lot of time! I'm not saying lower costing sticks are bad...in fact I really enjoy a sancho panza from time to time. But I wouldn't make it a daily stick since you'll burn yourself out on them or any other that you keep smoking
    Money can't buy taste
    That's funny that you say it like that. I will smoke a new one and think 'Man, that wasn't half bad", but by the third one I can't stand them anymore, lol.. I am going to light up my second San Andreas today. Honestly, the first one was very promising to me.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    There are plenty of cigars in the "budget" range that rival most cigars in the premium to super premium market. Albeit it does take time and a few years ago I did just that. I probably bought about 50 different brands of cigars just to see if there was such a deal for cigars in the $3-$5 range that were really good. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found and this coming from a cigar person who has smoked almost every cigar out there for the last 45 years. I love my share of Opus, Ashtons, Cohibas, Partagas, Fuente, Padron, etc. so I know my cigars. After trying 50 different brands I actually found 20 of them that I still buy today and by the box. Some have been discontinued and that was a shame but I was smart and bought boxes of them...example: A Fernandez Signature .....very good cigar but you won't find them anymore. Puros Heurfanos 682....these were the cigars that a lot of people said were LP#9 seconds..( and they were because I know of a well placed employee at DE....I bought 5 boxes of these before they were discontinued ) One of my "finds" was the Capoeira from Famous Smoke...I discovered these through a friend of mine and these suckers are great and can be found at were once amazing pricing which I bought boxes. They still average around $4 a stick and these Brazilian cigars are well worth the price of $6 and up.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Cigary:
    There are plenty of cigars in the "budget" range that rival most cigars in the premium to super premium market. Albeit it does take time and a few years ago I did just that. I probably bought about 50 different brands of cigars just to see if there was such a deal for cigars in the $3-$5 range that were really good. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found and this coming from a cigar person who has smoked almost every cigar out there for the last 45 years. I love my share of Opus, Ashtons, Cohibas, Partagas, Fuente, Padron, etc. so I know my cigars. After trying 50 different brands I actually found 20 of them that I still buy today and by the box. Some have been discontinued and that was a shame but I was smart and bought boxes of them...example: A Fernandez Signature .....very good cigar but you won't find them anymore. Puros Heurfanos 682....these were the cigars that a lot of people said were LP#9 seconds..( and they were because I know of a well placed employee at DE....I bought 5 boxes of these before they were discontinued ) One of my "finds" was the Capoeira from Famous Smoke...I discovered these through a friend of mine and these suckers are great and can be found at were once amazing pricing which I bought boxes. They still average around $4 a stick and these Brazilian cigars are well worth the price of $6 and up.

Lots of budget sticks are just as good or better than so called expensive sticks. Everyone with experience of years will tell you price is a joke, its like the name sells the stick and sets the price. When in truth names of brands are so intermingled anymore, the tobacco is coming from a few growers, a few fermenting techniques, but you will like what you like. Ignore price. Also have to mention I liked your posts, so I finally realized with the puros huerfanos and the man turned me on to capoiera, I knew I recognized from puff. Good to have an experienced here.
  • kgrandekgrande Posts: 15
    I'd recommend anything by AJ Fernandez... Ave Maria, San Lotano, Man O'War...the Man O'War oferring are on the fuller side.  If you want strong then Diesel line may work for you.