Home Non Cigar Related
Options

More Guns and a Happy Mother's Day

Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
Was out and about with the wife yesterday and after shooting one on the range, we decided it would be a perfect concealed carry gun for her:

Springfield XD-S 3.3" .45 Auto (on the right)

imageimage

Oh, I had to get myself the Springfield XD-M 3.8" .40 SW (the one on the left).

Happy Mother's Day to us!

Comments

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cute.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    I've had my eye on the XD-M 40 caliber for a while. It seems like a nice weapon! How do you like it so far?
    Is it easy to conceal? Please let me know what you like, and dislike ( if anything ).
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    My only problem with these is the grip safety, I don't particularly care for it. It was between this and a SIg Sauer P229 and I went with the sig. How do you feel about the grip safety Steve? Obviously ok enough to purchase but I am talking in general as well.
  • Options
    I absolutely love it. I can't even feel the grip safety.
    I have relatively small hands and the wife has tiny hands, so the SIG was a no-go.
    She can shoot my FNX-40 with the smaller backstrap installed, and can shoot the XD-M without any problems.

My first groups from 5, 7, and 10 yards:

imageimage
  • Options
    Stsepas:
    I've had my eye on the XD-M 40 caliber for a while. It seems like a nice weapon! How do you like it so far?
    Is it easy to conceal? Please let me know what you like, and dislike ( if anything ).
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve
    There's nothing really to dislike.
    OK, there's one thing. The double mag pouch won't fit on 1.75" belts.

I'm 5'9, 155lbs and can conceal my FNS-9 with an IWB holster just fine. The XD-M .40 is just a tad wider, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Of course, if you're looking for something a bit smaller, they have the XD-M .40 Compact.

My wife is 4'11", so that's the reason we got the XD-S for her. She definitely didn't want a puny .380. She shoots the XD-S just fine.

As far as the XD-M goes, it shoots great! (See pic above)
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    I absolutely love it. I can't even feel the grip safety.
    I have relatively small hands and the wife has tiny hands, so the SIG was a no-go.
    She can shoot my FNX-40 with the smaller backstrap installed, and can shoot the XD-M without any problems.

My first groups from 5, 7, and 10 yards:

imageimage
    Nice shooting!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Thanks. Great ergonomics and silky trigger helps!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Mother f*cker, I've been looking for an XDm for the past 2 months everywhere online and you just walk in and show off your new toy. Damn that thing looks nice, making me want it even more now Big Smile [:D]
  • Options
    xmacro:
    Mother f*cker, I've been looking for an XDm for the past 2 months everywhere online and you just walk in and show off your new toy. Damn that thing looks nice, making me want it even more now Big Smile [:D]
    Just about every store here in Las Vegas has them.
    Pretty much all the models and calibers.
    Anywhere from $625 to $900 (one of the "upscale" gun stores/ranges). Guess they have to pay for their upscale-ness.
    Have you checked-------> http://www.gunbroker.com/

There's a ton of them on there.
  • Options
    Yeah, been checking gunbroker, gunsamerica, slickguns.com and Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore multiple times a day, looking for an XDM 9mm 3.8 Compact in Bi-tone coloring. Plenty of these in all black, but I want that sexy stainless steel slide for under $650.

Hope you enjoy that! I've googled every glock vs xdm and xdm vs M&P thread I could find - filter out the fanboys and the concensus is that the XDM line is every bit as reliable, it's all personal preference and they're all top-notch guns that everyone from civilians to LEO's would carry with them.

• Options
    xmacro:
    Yeah, been checking gunbroker, gunsamerica, slickguns.com and Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore multiple times a day, looking for an XDM 9mm 3.8 Compact in Bi-tone coloring. Plenty of these in all black, but I want that sexy stainless steel slide for under $650.

Hope you enjoy that! I've googled every glock vs xdm and xdm vs M&P thread I could find - filter out the fanboys and the concensus is that the XDM line is every bit as reliable, it's all personal preference and they're all top-notch guns that everyone from civilians to LEO's would carry with them.

RECOIL Magazine did a side-by-side comparison on the XD-S and the Glock 30S. The XD-S beat the Glock hands-down. Hard to find many complaints about Springfield products.
    Unless you're dead-set on a 9mm, you might want to take a look at the XD-M .40 or .40 Compact.
    I like my FNS-9, but I absolutely LOVE the terminal ballistics of the .40.
    The recoil/muzzle flip is about the same.
  • Options
    Ehh, I looked into .40; from what I've read (not a ballistics guy at all; all the info I've gotten from anonymous posters online, so the advice could come from a firearm guru or an armchair general), the .40 isn't too terribly better than 9mm in gelatin, plus the .40 ammo is harder to find and more expensive. That's basically my reasoning anyway, feel free to poke holes in it.

I've already got a 1911 chambered in .45 that I used as a concealed carry, but the weight prompted me to start looking for a replacement. Guess I'm not dead set on 9mm, but I've looked and haven't found a compelling reason to reconsider since I already have a .45. Anything that's lighter than my current pistol and can hold more than the current 8+1 will be a winner for me
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Nice pick up! I'm drooling over a 1911 45.
  • Options
    xmacro:
    Ehh, I looked into .40; from what I've read (not a ballistics guy at all; all the info I've gotten from anonymous posters online, so the advice could come from a firearm guru or an armchair general), the .40 isn't too terribly better than 9mm in gelatin, plus the .40 ammo is harder to find and more expensive. That's basically my reasoning anyway, feel free to poke holes in it.

I've already got a 1911 chambered in .45 that I used as a concealed carry, but the weight prompted me to start looking for a replacement. Guess I'm not dead set on 9mm, but I've looked and haven't found a compelling reason to reconsider since I already have a .45. Anything that's lighter than my current pistol and can hold more than the current 8+1 will be a winner for me
    Over here, .40 SW is MUCH easier to find than 9mm. Anyway, This comparison in ballistic gel convinced me:

imageimage

Plus 16 rounds of .40 in the XD-M 3.8 or 11 rounds in the XD-M Compact is always a comfort.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    The XDm .40 compact for my concealed carry will hopefully be purchased in the next 30 days . Wife can't decide between the XDm 9mm compact or the Glock 26 gen4 . She likes the number of cartridges the XDm holds in 9 mm , she is a realtor , and there are some crazy people out there . Round count is the only reason not considering XD-s .45 or 9mm (5+1 and 7+1 respectivly). For me the ....40 compact with the flush mag holding 11+1 ... well if I cant stop them with 12 .....40 cal rounds its probably time to run !!!
  • Options
    Steve2010:
    xmacro:

Over here, .40 SW is MUCH easier to find than 9mm. Anyway, This comparison in ballistic gel convinced me:

imageimage

Plus 16 rounds of .40 in the XD-M 3.8 or 11 rounds in the XD-M Compact is always a comfort.
    Hmm, interesting stuff. Pretty much confirms the old saying to carry the biggest caliber you can handle. Gonna have to think a bit more, but I'm probably gonna stick with the 9mm for this purchase, though an xdm .45 in the future is a high probability.

XDm 9mm is supposed to have some great muzzle control (think I read it's because they just use the xdm .40's slide, heavier slide = less felt recoil). The XDm's 13+1 or 19+1 capacity is just sooo tempting coming from my current 8+1. Not a real big advantage over the .40, but with the ammo cost and availability, 9mm gets the slight advantage this time around.

EDIT: I gotta stop looking at the first page of this thread, those XDM's are just too sexy, especially that micro - love that SS slide and black frame pairing
  • Options
    gmill880:
    The XDm .40 compact for my concealed carry will hopefully be purchased in the next 30 days . Wife can't decide between the XDm 9mm compact or the Glock 26 gen4 . She likes the number of cartridges the XDm holds in 9 mm , she is a realtor , and there are some crazy people out there . Round count is the only reason not considering XD-s .45 or 9mm (5+1 and 7+1 respectivly). For me the ....40 compact with the flush mag holding 11+1 ... well if I cant stop them with 12 .....40 cal rounds its probably time to run !!!
    Indeed. Has she shot either? My wife shot both the XD-S and the Glock 30SF and fell in love with the XD-S.

Although we both agree that it's not a FUN gun to shoot, I'm confident that she can hit what she's shooting at, and it conceals in everything except a bikini.
  • Options
    xmacro:
    Steve2010:
    xmacro:

imageimage

Hmm, interesting stuff. Pretty much confirms the old saying to carry the biggest caliber you can handle. Gonna have to think a bit more, but I'm probably gonna stick with the 9mm for this purchase, though an xdm .45 in the future is a high probability.

XDm 9mm is supposed to have some great muzzle control (think I read it's because they just use the xdm .40's slide, heavier slide = less felt recoil). The XDm's 13+1 or 19+1 capacity is just sooo tempting coming from my current 8+1. Not a real big advantage over the .40, but with the ammo cost and availability, 9mm gets the slight advantage this time around.

EDIT: I gotta stop looking at the first page of this thread, those XDM's are just too sexy, especially that micro - love that SS slide and black frame pairing
    Ha! Of course, there's always the FN/FNS-9's. The recoil on these is like shooting a .22

Mine's the black, the wife is the bi-tone.

imageimage

I'm a small guy and in my Old Faithful IWB, the FNS-9 doesn't print at all under a t-shirt. The XD-M is a smidgen wider, but shouldn't be an issue either.

imageimage

Not that I'm enabling or anything...
  • Options
    Steve2010:
    xmacro:

imageimage

same thing here, i work at dicks sporting goods, 40 and 45 are the easiest to get.
  • Options
    Great news. I just took my PILB (Private Investigators Licensing Board) Exam today.
    100%

It's the first step in getting ANY armed job here in Nevada.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Nice bro, I have been spending all my cigar money on new guns as of late. Picked up a nice bi tone Taurus 145 millennium .45 for my concealed carry, and a few more long guns and pistolies.

Steve, are you back in Vegas for a while?
  • Options
    firetruckguy:
    Nice bro, I have been spending all my cigar money on new guns as of late. Picked up a nice bi tone Taurus 145 millennium .45 for my concealed carry, and a few more long guns and pistolies.

Nice pickup.
    Yes, I'll be in Las Vegas for a while. Our contract in Kuwait ran out, so I'm working on finding a job over here.
  • Options
    Home/Self Defense loads.

.45 Auto: Remington 230 Gr Golden Saber
    .40 SW: Speer 165 Gr Gold Dot
    9mm: Hornandy 115 Gr Critical Defense

imageimage
  • Options
    Steve2010:
    Home/Self Defense loads.

.45 Auto: Remington 230 Gr Golden Saber
    .40 SW: Speer 165 Gr Gold Dot
    9mm: Hornandy 115 Gr Critical Defense

imageimage
    have u looked at the zombie maxx? same as the critical defense but a green tip and usually cheaper
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    firetruckguy:

Nice pickup.
    Yes, I'll be in Las Vegas for a while. Our contract in Kuwait ran out, so I'm working on finding a job over here.
    Ill be in Vegas June 5-7th if you want to hook up for a stick bro.
  • Options
    firetruckguy:
    Steve2010:
    firetruckguy:

Nice pickup.
    Ill be in Vegas June 5-7th if you want to hook up for a stick bro.
    Sounds great! PM sent.
  • Options
    Took the XD-S out today. Shoots great for a sub-compact .45

5, 7, and 10 yards.

I still prefer the larger XD-M .40SW, but for a little pocket rocket, the XD-S is going to be hard to beat.

imageimage