Home General Discussion
Options

A term that i hate.....

edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
I'm coming to find that most people that sell cigars whether it be in a B&M or a little newsstand or deli that has a cabinet don't know what they are selling. When i enter a shop and i'm looking through their cigars the last thing i want to hear is "These cigars are all fresh".... I had to try to explain to the last guy that people want their food fresh but their cigars should be aged. Don't try to sell cigars to someone and tell them it's fresh. It just doesn't make sense.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edelrionyc:
    I'm coming to find that most people that sell cigars whether it be in a B&M or a little newsstand or deli that has a cabinet don't know what they are selling. When i enter a shop and i'm looking through their cigars the last thing i want to hear is "These cigars are all fresh".... I had to try to explain to the last guy that people want their food fresh but their cigars should be aged. Don't try to sell cigars to someone and tell them it's fresh. It just doesn't make sense.
    same here. i cant stand that.
    cigars are aged, maintained, kept, held, or rested.
    a "fresh" cigar is not ready to smoke and will have heavy tannins or ammonia taste or will be too wet to smoke nicely.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have actually never heard that when browsing cigars, although clearly, as you mention, it is a sign of ignorance on the seller's part. When I think of "bad" places to buy cigars, I don't even think the owner knows that cigars need to be maintained. Either they are dry as a bone, or about to pop because it's like a rainforest in there.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time I venture into a shop I think I'm going to make a point in asking what are the oldest sticks there just to see if they know and see what kind of condition they are in.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I've been around so many places in this country where the managers tend to try and sell cigars like they are used cars..."Whatcha lookin for?.....What kind of cigar do you like?....These over here just came in today...everybody loves em ( WTF...you said they just came in today and everybody is buying them...really?) You should try this one...it's gotta a nice band on it..has a dark wrapper that is very sweet and I can make you a deal on it...buy one get the other half off....( How about I don't buy it and let me buy what I like and just the next one half off.....no? Just for this POS stick you are trying to move off the shelf and you want me to smoke these dogrockets? )
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    I've been around so many places in this country where the managers tend to try and sell cigars like they are used cars..."Whatcha lookin for?.....What kind of cigar do you like?....These over here just came in today...everybody loves em ( WTF...you said they just came in today and everybody is buying them...really?) You should try this one...it's gotta a nice band on it..has a dark wrapper that is very sweet and I can make you a deal on it...buy one get the other half off....( How about I don't buy it and let me buy what I like and just the next one half off.....no? Just for this POS stick you are trying to move off the shelf and you want me to smoke these dogrockets? )
    Lol!!! I can appreciate a salesman more than some douche who is so infatuated with himself that he thinks his favorites should be everyone's favorites.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Cigary:
    Lol!!! I can appreciate a salesman more than some douche who is so infatuated with himself that he thinks his favorites should be everyone's favorites.
    this is my issue with my B&Ms......the guys down there blow you off if you are a noob and tell you that what you smoke sucks and to stop smoking it. I was like WTF.....i am poor i can't smoke a $10 cigar all the time.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    If by the term "fresh" they mean that they just received them, it might be good to buy the ones you like than, rather than letting the B&M store them in such lousy conditions.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    I hear ya, but...... One thing I love is trying new smokes, So I do appreciate a B&M salesperson asking certain questions,, It gives them a framework to work within and sometimes mentioning certain cigars or qualities of a cigar can help the B&M person come up with some ideas/suggestions.. I do agree though,, I dislike guys pushing me or guys that have that slimy used car sales attitude.. I can usually tell a "sales" guy who works in a B&M from an "enthusiast" who works in a B&M. Or if I ask if they carry any filet mignon and they say "no but have you ever tried these gaines burgers over here theyre very good" Thats usually when I disengage and go on my own..... Fortunately for me the B&M's I mostly frequent have great people..
  • Options
    jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    edelrionyc:
    I agree with you 100%. At my local "B&M", it's actually an ABC, they have a small closet sized humidor in the corner of the store. And everytime I go there I have a look and see they store the infused stogies with non-infused. And then they just have the door propped open when you're in there looking around no matter how long you take. Needless to say I haven't bought anything from them and I won't but it's frustrating that some people don't know what they're doing, destroying good cigars, and selling them at a marked up price.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    The Kid:
    Cigary:
    I hear ya, but...... One thing I love is trying new smokes, So I do appreciate a B&M salesperson asking certain questions,, It gives them a framework to work within and sometimes mentioning certain cigars or qualities of a cigar can help the B&M person come up with some ideas/suggestions.. I do agree though,, I dislike guys pushing me or guys that have that slimy used car sales attitude.. I can usually tell a "sales" guy who works in a B&M from an "enthusiast" who works in a B&M. Or if I ask if they carry any filet mignon and they say "no but have you ever tried these gaines burgers over here theyre very good" Thats usually when I disengage and go on my own..... Fortunately for me the B&M's I mostly frequent have great people..
    There's nothing quite like building a relationship with B&M owners/managers which then takes care of the smarmy ones who run at you like a pit bull with a cigar trying to push it into your clenched fists. When I travel I always bring along some extra cigars to give to the B&M manager and wills strike up a conversation with them...I have a couple I go to in San Diego...in Boston...in Indy...and various places in S Florida. Good managers will watch you from a distance and if it looks like you know what you want they will usually leave you along...it's when you have that 'distant' look in your eyes that says....I have no f'n clue what I'm doing here...somebody help me. Good ones will start up a conversation with no pushing of product at all and will let me lead the conversation as they ....wait for it....listen to you. I feel bad for the younger men who come in and are treated like children in an adult only environment...that's not fair but I understand a lot from the conversations I've had with managers. Their experience has been that those who just turn 21 will come into a humidor w/o much experience and pick up cigars...put em under their noses and almost lick these things all the while manhandling them and just throw them back into the box..splitting the wrappers or banging the end/foot with no regard. Some will actually put them to their mouths and laugh at themselves with their friends and cut up....so when it comes to managers getting a little apprehensive there is some merit to it...but that means the quality young men take a hit because of their contemporaries.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I think what most of these folks mean is that they are kept well. In humidified and temp controlled cases. They're just not hip to the terminology.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..