Home General Discussion
Options

Saying good bye to a favorite!!

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
Well davidoff has decided to cut the production of one of my favorite camachos!! Say good bye to all the lines except for the triple maddy,corojo and conny. But the ltd's are going to say bye bye!! Wtf I hope the rep was just lying to me but who knows what they are thinking!!
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer, so their just keeping the main line then. No more PE's
  • Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Not a good thing of true. I have not net a Camacho I didn't like.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Bummer, so their just keeping the main line then. No more PE's
    as far as I know all lines are gone except the three...I might have to go broke soon lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    pross:
    i feel ya!! But what can you do besides buy buy buy lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really? I'll have to grab a few before too long. I have always wanted to try a PE
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Gray4lines:
    Really? I'll have to grab a few before too long. I have always wanted to try a PE
    You're not missing a whole lot. Smoked one or two on occasion; very slight musty note in it that I liked (may have been the ancient cuban tobacco, might have been my imagination wishing to taste it since I've heard so much about it when ppl talk about old cigars), but otherwise it was a forgettable cigar
  • Options
    xmacro:
    Gray4lines:
    You're not missing a whole lot. Smoked one or two on occasion; very slight musty note in it that I liked (may have been the ancient cuban tobacco, might have been my imagination wishing to taste it since I've heard so much about it when ppl talk about old cigars), but otherwise it was a forgettable cigar
    Hmmm, I do like musty or musk flavors, but I wouldn't be super upset if I never had one. I have heard many people comment that the cuban tobacco content is almost negligible, but still I'd enjoy giving em a try. If I really wanted a cuban taste, I'd smoke a cuban.

Lee, do you know if this cut goes for other Camacho lines like the Legenarios?
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    xmacro:
    Gray4lines:
    Hmmm, I do like musty or musk flavors, but I wouldn't be super upset if I never had one. I have heard many people comment that the cuban tobacco content is almost negligible, but still I'd enjoy giving em a try. If I really wanted a cuban taste, I'd smoke a cuban.

Lee, do you know if this cut goes for other Camacho lines like the Legenarios?
    i like the pe but don't think it's near a $25 stick. It's really the wrapper that makes it for me!! But honestly I just found out since the manager at the b&m asked what camachos I'd like in while the rep was there...I answered the ltd's and the rep broke the news to me. Honestly I will have to say the legendarios might get exed out but I couldn't say for sure
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    pross:
    i feel ya!! But what can you do besides buy buy buy lol
    wish wish wish, this is sad com. is by far one of my favs
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn I can't take anymore bad news!
  • Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    Noooooooooooooooooo!!
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Pretty respectable line of cigars going down but I wonder if they are just opening up room for more limited and one off production runs.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Camacho hasn't really jumped into the Pete trend that was set years ago, with the viaje etc htf fanboy craziness, with the super inflated prices. Maybe this is them cutting lines to clear up room for fans to get into hyper crazy htf one time releases. They're one if the few companies that avoided this joke of super prem preme prems that cost 30 a stick but they're uber delicious. I just hope Camacho would never go there, I have to much love and respect for the corojo lineage.
  • Options
    blurr:
    Camacho hasn't really jumped into the Pete trend that was set years ago, with the viaje etc htf fanboy craziness, with the super inflated prices. Maybe this is them cutting lines to clear up room for fans to get into hyper crazy htf one time releases. They're one if the few companies that avoided this joke of super prem preme prems that cost 30 a stick but they're uber delicious. I just hope Camacho would never go there, I have to much love and respect for the corojo lineage.
    I know... Ill take a solid, consistent, available line anyday. Anyone seen camachos website?? What line is that promoting?
  • Options
    blurr:
    i don't think camacho could even pull it off besides the "face off" which happens to be a unicorn for me! But I think davidoff is just cutting too many lines...even of there own! I feel stupid Americans aka the bigger is better people are really messing up the industry! Plus I feel a ton of noobs or just under educated people are scared of some of the finer lines out there. But who knows?? Maybe they will come out with a better line or a equivalent to some of the old ones
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    in all fairness the LTD is just the regular corojo line with the tobacco aged an extra year. the real loss with that cut is Diploma Maduro. It is the only size that has a maduro option in the line. that cigar with about 5 or 6 years on it is nothing short of amazing. i need to order a few of those before they go away.

the SLR was one of my early favorites. i can see why it would be cut. two sizes and not a huge seller. not happy but it makes sense.

the Candela is also a hard sell and only in one size. no real loss there.

the 10th anniversary was supposed to be an LE and so was the PE. they would have gone away on their own.

this leaves us with the Triple Maduro, Conny, Corojo.
    this is a solid lineup with room to add on something that may be better. so we lose, in reality, only one cigar (Diploma Maduro) that made anyone really turn their head. as bad as it sucks, i think i understand it. gotta trim the fat. unfortunately this often means losing a bit of the meat.

i really dont like what Davidoff as a company is doing overall.

not only are they cutting camacho but they are cutting half of the thousand series as well.
    they are creeping up in strength and in ring gauge becoming a follower and no longer being the brand everyone wants to be.
    Davidoff is destroying their reputation for keeping with tradition in size and strength just to appease people that have no idea what makes a cigar good.
    Davidoff will lose its fan base if they keep doing what they are doing. they are becoming less and less a "luxury brand" and more and more "expensive sellouts"
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Camacho is owned by Davidoff. Davidoff already has a limited, expensive, super premium. It's called Davidoff. They will not make any Camachos that compete with Davidoffs. Cigar lines are canceled daily, for one of two reasons:
    1) They aren't selling
    2)They can't produce them anymore for any number of reasons

I would put some serious money on 1 being the answer here.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    in all fairness the LTD is just the regular corojo line with the tobacco aged an extra year. the real loss with that cut is Diploma Maduro. It is the only size that has a maduro option in the line. that cigar with about 5 or 6 years on it is nothing short of amazing. i need to order a few of those before they go away.

the SLR was one of my early favorites. i can see why it would be cut. two sizes and not a huge seller. not happy but it makes sense.

the 10th anniversary was supposed to be an LE and so was the PE. they would have gone away on their own.

this is a solid lineup with room to add on something that may be better. so we lose, in reality, only one cigar (Diploma Maduro) that made anyone really turn their head. as bad as it sucks, i think i understand it. gotta trim the fat. unfortunately this often means losing a bit of the meat.

not only are they cutting camacho but they are cutting half of the thousand series as well.
    they are creeping up in strength and in ring gauge becoming a follower and no longer being the brand everyone wants to be.
    Davidoff is destroying their reputation for keeping with tradition in size and strength just to appease people that have no idea what makes a cigar good.
    Davidoff will lose its fan base if they keep doing what they are doing. they are becoming less and less a "luxury brand" and more and more "expensive sellouts"
    The old rep in my area, now a higher up in the Davidoff food chain, told me this when I questioned her on why Davidoff went online. She said they came to the painful conclusion after watching their sales drop every year while companies with a strong online presence rose. She said no one at Davidoff was happy about it and they fought it until they got to the point that it was go online or go under. They still do not allow the steep discounts others do.

As for the bigger ring gauge stuff I totally agree with you guys. You know I'm a corona/lancero guy but we are the stark minority. Ask Alex, ask you B&M, 6x60's outsell everything else 2 to 1. My B&M won't even carry a lancero or corona (unless its made by illusione or Pete Johnson) because they don't sell.

While I agree it sucks the first priority of all these companies is to stay in business. If 75% of the market craves large ring gauges or limited edition cigars guess what any company, that has a sales drop or is struggling, is going to do?
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

The old rep in my area, now a higher up in the Davidoff food chain, told me this when I questioned her on why Davidoff went online. She said they came to the painful conclusion after watching their sales drop every year while companies with a strong online presence rose. She said no one at Davidoff was happy about it and they fought it until they got to the point that it was go online or go under. They still do not allow the steep discounts others do.

As for the bigger ring gauge stuff I totally agree with you guys. You know I'm a corona/lancero guy but we are the stark minority. Ask Alex, ask you B&M, 6x60's outsell everything else 2 to 1. My B&M won't even carry a lancero or corona (unless its made by illusione or Pete Johnson) because they don't sell.

While I agree it sucks the first priority of all these companies is to stay in business. If 75% of the market craves large ring gauges or limited edition cigars guess what any company, that has a sales drop or is struggling, is going to do?
    Both strong and good info and ideas in these two posts. While I am not thrilled the are moving away from some stuff, stuff that I haven't had the opportunity to enjoy yet, and hear mixed reviews about makes me want to try them even a little more now honestly. The triple maddy has been a front runner for me since the beginning of this hobby so I am really glad this dodged a bullet. Here's to hoping the can drop the price point on it a little, hey a guy can dream can't he.
  • Options
    http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/17102

Just saw this on CA. Looks like all of the Camacho lines are getting a makeover (maybe the actual blends are too). Camacho felt like it needed to reassert itself as a "bold cigar" brand among today's market of (in my opinion) waaaay too many strong cigars.

I think the new look is cool, albeit less "classy" than the original. Even the Triple Maduro is getting the new looks! I was a little surprised, I hope they do well as I really enjoy Camachos and think of them as truly refined, strong smokes.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    the "face off" which happens to be a unicorn for me!
    Didn't catch this earlier. Good to know.....
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/17102

Just saw this on CA. Looks like all of the Camacho lines are getting a makeover (maybe the actual blends are too). Camacho felt like it needed to reassert itself as a "bold cigar" brand among today's market of (in my opinion) waaaay too many strong cigars.

I think the new look is cool, albeit less "classy" than the original. Even the Triple Maduro is getting the new looks! I was a little surprised, I hope they do well as I really enjoy Camachos and think of them as truly refined, strong smokes.

Thanks for the link Gray! Hmmm, hope this doesn't bite them in the ass, but they did leave my two favorites alone. don't like the bands but the box is cool.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its good to see the "havana" made the cut.
    of course it is not the "Criollo"
    i can live with that.
    im here for the flavor, not the hype