Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Zen on a monday afternoon

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
Went to the range today with my AK (SGL 21/26; an AK-103 clone), tried to sight it in. Couldn't tell if it was accurate or not because my aiim blows pretty hard, even using a bench rest, but there's something zen-like about cleaning a gun, everything else fades away and none of your problems really matter anymore, especially with a MOW PA and a tequila bloody mary (Cuban cutters perfect cutter Xikar Crossover torch in pic)

The warsaw stock is fun, but it's short, and after about 200 rounds, you notice that metal buttplate digging into your shoulder, so it had to come off. Fortunately, I had ordered some replacement parts a week ago and they came in today. Enter the vltor ak adapter tube (mil-spec) - allows the AK to accept AR-15 stocks. It's a pretty solid piece of aluminum, feels really sturdy, and with some blue loctite on there, it's not coming off anytime soon. Some people who installed it have had problems with the tube installing on an angle, but if you read the directions and tighten the screws down evenly/together instead of one after the other, it installs right in line with the barrel. Bonus is that it doesn't require any meddling with the receiver, it just goes right in, so I can always reverse it if I feel like it and put the old stock back on:

Slapped on a Magpul STR stock I had ordered, and now the thing looks pretty sharp, IMO
After looking at it, I took some white paint and touched in the grooves to highlight the name, make it pop (yeah, a vanity play, but it looks pretty sweet)

Other changes made included swapping out the K-Var trigger for a Tapco G2 (reduces trigger slap), and a Hogue grip for a bigger and stickier grip (default grip that came with the gun is for very small hands - talking baby hands here).

All in all not a bad day; went online and had a few good rounds in Team Fortress 2 afterwards.

Comments

• Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    While I am not a gun owner I can certainly appreciate what it means to lose yourself in something you are passionate about. I get the same way when I do my yearly cleaning of my drums. Years ago my neighbor would maintain his weapons while listening to the soundtrack of Full Metal Jacket. Dude looked pretty content
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice weapon you've got there. I usually spend a couple days shooting this time of year,spending last years ammo, but that's noy happening until I can find this years ammo. :(
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Poopy Jones:
    While I am not a gun owner I can certainly appreciate what it means to lose yourself in something you are passionate about. I get the same way when I do my yearly cleaning of my drums. Years ago my neighbor would maintain his weapons while listening to the soundtrack of Full Metal Jacket. Dude looked pretty content
    Yeah, anytime I'm tinkering, whether guns or the toaster, it's funny how everything else just fades away and all that matters is the parts in my hands. Only other thing that ever comes close is mowing fields on a tractor; the world fades away and you're left alone with your own thoughts.

Amos Umwhat:
    Nice weapon you've got there. I usually spend a couple days shooting this time of year,spending last years ammo, but that's noy happening until I can find this years ammo. :(
    Slickguns.com - it's what I use, I was able to find a few thousand rounds for $0.30 a piece in 7.62x39; go on there, watch it for a week to see what the best ammo prices are, and then jump. Popular ammo like 7.62 can sometimes sell out about 10 minutes after it's posted (so checkk about once an hour on your phone if it's popular)