Home Non Cigar Related

a musical genius is dead

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
Don't think I have ever been so sad over a famous person dying. http://m.rollingstone.com/?redirurl=/music/news/ray-manzarek-doors-keyboardist-dead-at-74-20130520

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    thanks for the heads up on that. Brings back memories.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was a cool guy who was very talented...sad..love the "X" Los Angeles album he played on and produced.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer. I always thought it was hi keyboard riffs that made The Doors music cohesive. He is missed
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Very sad. To me, Manzarek *was* The Doors. Jim Morrison was an overrated, egocentric poser and most of his lyrics are incredibly embarrassing. But Manzarek was the real deal. His organ piano and EP playing were the heart and soul of The Doors' sound, and I always found it amazing that he played both the bass lines and melodies of nearly all of those songs on keyboards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    It's funny you mention the lyrics...I thought some songs were just kind of thrown together, almost like a free association type of writing. I did like his voice though but the music is what really set them apart imo. RIP.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    to me it was the guitar that made the doors, but that is only because i enjoyed the tone Robbie got out of that SG.
    this isnt to detract from ray. he really was the best musician in the band and he did give them their distinct sound. there never was and there never will be a band that sounds like the doors ever again.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    james40:
    It's funny you mention the lyrics...I thought some songs were just kind of thrown together, almost like a free association type of writing. I did like his voice though but the music is what really set them apart imo. RIP.
    there were times ray took over singing when jim was too fkd up to do so or didnt shop up. He was the doors if you ask me, Jim was an awesome poet on the other hand.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    to me it was the guitar that made the doors, but that is only because i enjoyed the tone Robbie got out of that SG.
    this isnt to detract from ray. he really was the best musician in the band and he did give them their distinct sound. there never was and there never will be a band that sounds like the doors ever again.
    Love his wine bottle-neck guitar slide
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America