Home General Discussion
Options

Trying Avos...your experience

blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
I'm interested in trying out the entire AVO line, so I'm going to be making a few purchases soon. As expensive as some of them are, I figured I'd start with like singles or 5 packs, and I figured everyone with experience could help me refine my sampling. What is your favorite in the AVO line? What order should I try them in, what blends are box worthy for sure for you? Should I start with Classic and go from there, what are your thoughts and your eperience with the line?

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    I'm interested in trying out the entire AVO line, so I'm going to be making a few purchases soon. As expensive as some of them are, I figured I'd start with like singles or 5 packs, and I figured everyone with experience could help me refine my sampling. What is your favorite in the AVO line? What order should I try them in, what blends are box worthy for sure for you? Should I start with Classic and go from there, what are your thoughts and your eperience with the line?
    Dustin could wrap this up in about five seconds haha. I'm not sure what order you should do, but I love the XO, Domaine and Classic. Which are the only ones I've had.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    even though the maduro and the heritage are good smokes they are the weakest of the brand.

i would smoke in this order
    Maduro, Heratige, Classic, XO, Signature, 787 (if you can find them still), Domaine, then any LEs.

why?
    get the first two "out of the way" then from mild to full body.

my favorites are the XO and the Domaine. (im leaving out the 787 because they may be difficult to get your hands on)
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I've only had the Classic line so far and would recommend that as a starting point. You'll find them to be super smooth with a mild-medium flavor/body. My experiences gave me flavors/aromas of well aged tobacco, mild leather, light oak/hickory, a slight "mustiness" and minimal spice. The retrohale really brings out the leather with overtones of oak and a raisiny sweetness. But, those are what I pick out and we all know that tastes are subjective. I say pick up a fiver and give them a try. If they're not for you I know there are lots of BOTL here who would gladly take them off your hands.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only had the Classic and the XO's, and I highly recommend both. The classics can even be found at a great price here on ccom... I think there is an email deal still going on until tomorrow, 10 for $40??? i'll go look. But the XO's are my fav so far. I really want to try the other lines as well.

Email deal, expires tomorrow 5/22: I hope it's acceptable to post the secret deal link.
    http://www.cigar.com/CGWS09
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Signature and xo all the way!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    I have only had the Classic and the XO's, and I highly recommend both. The classics can even be found at a great price here on ccom... I think there is an email deal still going on until tomorrow, 10 for $40??? i'll go look. But the XO's are my fav so far. I really want to try the other lines as well.

Email deal, expires tomorrow 5/22: I hope it's acceptable to post the secret deal link.
    I'm about to call THE SHERIFF! ;)
  • Options
    Rain:
    Gray4lines:

I'm about to call THE SHERIFF! ;)
    Please don't, Deputy Randy!!
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    even though the maduro and the heritage are good smokes they are the weakest of the brand.

Maduro, Heratige, Classic, XO, Signature, 787 (if you can find them still), Domaine, then any LEs.

why?

my favorites are the XO and the Domaine. (im leaving out the 787 because they may be difficult to get your hands on)
    I highly recommend the Dominant 13,,, I may be a bit pre-mature on this as I only tried one,, But I thouroughly enjoyed the one I tried..Probably my new favorite AVO
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I don't think the order matters. For me, it's more about mood and time of day. For instance I wouldn't smoke the classic at night after a big steak dinner. In general I find the Avo line to be a bit on the delicate side. The aromas don't do so well for me in a group setting. The box worthy blends/vitolas for my money are the Domaine #50, 787 Perfecto, Heritage Churchill, and Classic #2. I found I didn't really care for the maduro, and the XO, but I would still recommend trying them. It's a really solid line of cigars, and one of my favorites.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Sounds like Russ has some good experience to draw upon. What I did was get robusto sizes of everything. My favorites in order were Classic, XO, Domaine... I'm also thinking what mood you are in should decide what order you smoke them in. It is a really good line, even the ones I didn't list were pretty decent for my taste.
  • Options
    Russ55:
    I don't think the order matters. For me, it's more about mood and time of day. For instance I wouldn't smoke the classic at night after a big steak dinner. In general I find the Avo line to be a bit on the delicate side. The aromas don't do so well for me in a group setting. The box worthy blends/vitolas for my money are the Domaine #50, 787 Perfecto, Heritage Churchill, and Classic #2. I found I didn't really care for the maduro, and the XO, but I would still recommend trying them. It's a really solid line of cigars, and one of my favorites.
    Not too many mention Aroma,, Glad to see there are others who take this facet of the cigar smoking experience into consideration
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    I recommend this deal for AVO classics. http://www.cigar.com/CGWS09 However, if you're not wanting the full ten pack deal, I could trade you some of my AVO classics for some of your stock. I've bought these on the sprint sale twice and I'll also be hitting that deal today that was mentioned. I just sent you a PM
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Russ55:
    Not too many mention Aroma,, Glad to see there are others who take this facet of the cigar smoking experience into consideration
    The aroma is one of my favorite parts of the Avo's. I just love the way they smell. I can see it getting lost in a group setting though.
  • Options
    Russ55:
    LOL. When you wrote "The aromas don't do so well for me in a group setting." In my mind I imediately thought, "Females must have called 'em stinky". Was I right?
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Knowing your tastes, XO and classic all day bro.
  • Options
    Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    All the Avos I've smoked were great cigars. The XO,Domaine,Classic,Heritage...etc. And most of them burn almost perfectly even the whole way down. Definitley worth checking out.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    classic I'm a for sure on ordering, I have to try them all this summer anyways, so I wanted an idea what every ones favorites where. XOand signature intrigued me most from reviews, but hell I'm going to get a few of each. And I know I need to find some 787's, I've been looking for a few days.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

why?

Matt, come on man. I can get him a 787. And I would go in reverse, that why you would want to go back to the LE's :). Even though I have a soft spot for the classic with coffee. Whatever you do, it will be worth it, enjoy.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Classic and coffee is a killer good morning
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Russ55:
    LOL. When you wrote "The aromas don't do so well for me in a group setting." In my mind I imediately thought, "Females must have called 'em stinky". Was I right?
    No, what I meant was like at a herf. There's usually so much cigar smoke floating around that the delicate/subtle sticks are lost on me. If I can't smell it well, then I can't really taste and appreciate it. A little bit maybe, but not to the degree that makes me go to the happy place that we are all trying to get to when we are smoking.

I don't know if that made any sense, I'm a bit drunk. I'll re-read it in the morning.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    Bob Luken:
    Russ55:
    No, what I meant was like at a herf. There's usually so much cigar smoke floating around that the delicate/subtle sticks are lost on me. If I can't smell it well, then I can't really taste and appreciate it. A little bit maybe, but not to the degree that makes me go to the happy place that we are all trying to get to when we are smoking.

I don't know if that made any sense, I'm a bit drunk. I'll re-read it in the morning.

Hello Russ, I understand fully and it made sense. And this is why I don't smoke cigars that I want to review for myself at my lounge. I want to experience the best out of the cigar. Not what everyone else is smoking. Yet, I will smoke a wonderful cigar at my lounge. When I really want it. Hence the Avo 787 in the picture. Wonderful smoke that I wanted to smoke then. It happens :)....
  • Options
    Again, summertime is here. Stephen I caught posting, now RCY posting. I swear the weather turns to the 80s and its like deja vu. Hide your wife, hide your daughters, lock your doors.
  • Options
    RCY Cigars:
    Russ55:
    Bob Luken:
    Russ55:

Hello Russ, I understand fully and it made sense. And this is why I don't smoke cigars that I want to review for myself at my lounge. I want to experience the best out of the cigar. Not what everyone else is smoking. Yet, I will smoke a wonderful cigar at my lounge. When I really want it. Hence the Avo 787 in the picture. Wonderful smoke that I wanted to smoke then. It happens :)....
    Rick!, I'm glad you posted, not only because it's nice to see you here, but because it reminded me of the best AVO I have ever smoked. The AVO LE 7.. damn fine cigar!!!! Thanks again!!!
  • Options
    blurr:
    catfishbluezz:
    classic I'm a for sure on ordering, I have to try them all this summer anyways, so I wanted an idea what every ones favorites where. XOand signature intrigued me most from reviews, but hell I'm going to get a few of each. And I know I need to find some 787's, I've been looking for a few days.
    do not by them from Atlantic.... Very dry, not stored properly
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    blurr:
    catfishbluezz:
    I can second that. Won't go that route again. I've only had the classic, 787, and signature. All were very good but I'm wanting to revisit the 787 again, very dry from Atlantic.
  • Options
    Russ55:
    Bob Luken:
    Russ55:

It makes perfect sense. I'm glad you explained it. I'll try to pay more attention to those smells. I usually smoke outside, but I'll have to make it a point to get downwind of my cigar more often.
  • Options
    ehehat:
    catfishbluezz:
    blurr:
    catfishbluezz:
    I can second that. Won't go that route again. I've only had the classic, 787, and signature. All were very good but I'm wanting to revisit the 787 again, very dry from Atlantic.
    they should improve over time. They just don't have the wow factor others have had for me, and I swear that box was dry as heck when I got it. I've heard that about other smokes from them as well. I may have I revisit again soon.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I just tried my first Avo, a classic. The review will be up before too long. Great cigar to celebrate deciding on a new job. Rich, oily wrapper. Floral taste and aroma. I may just cut down on smoking other cigars so I can afford to buy more of these. Quality over quantity. I'm feeling like I'm starting to get more of a handle on what I like after six months of taking notes on smokes. Now, which order to try them in, I'd just say grab what looks good and dig in.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only had the classic once but it was fantastic Thats one of those I keep meaning to get a fiver of but for one reason or another never have.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    I've only had the classic once but it was fantastic Thats one of those I keep meaning to get a fiver of but for one reason or another never have.
    You should try the tin of "puritos" as well! I had one this morning while driving. Draw was a little tight, but that's expected a littlebwith such a small size. They are a great 30 min smoke! And $1.50 ea.