Home Cigar 101

Tight Draws

2»

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09 said:
    With a tight draw I put the cigar into the fridge for a 1/2  hour or about 15 minutes in the freezer. Let it acclimate for about 10 minutes and it usually does the trick. No need to worry about poking through or damaging the wrapper.
    Thanks...very interesting.

I take it that the effect of the cool down wears off after some period (otherwise you'd routinely cool all your cigars to "inoculate" them). Any idea how long the draw stays good after removing from the fridge/freezer?
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09 said:
    With a tight draw I put the cigar into the fridge for a 1/2  hour or about 15 minutes in the freezer. Let it acclimate for about 10 minutes and it usually does the trick. No need to worry about poking through or damaging the wrapper.
    Thanks...very interesting.

I take it that the effect of the cool down wears off after some period (otherwise you'd routinely cool all your cigars to "inoculate" them). Any idea how long the draw stays good after removing from the fridge/freezer?
    In theory what the fridge/freezer does is help "dry" extra moisture in the cigar allowing it to "open" up. I don't know how long the effect will last as I usually smoke it within an hour or so. Worse case, put it back into the humidor and if the draw is tight when you finally get around to smoking it just repeat the process.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09 said:
    Now that's news.  I had never thought of it, or heard of it.  Next tight cigar I get is getting the treatment.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Might have to try this little trick also
  • UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Good ideas! I'm still pretty new and haven't come across this issue but with a cigarillo
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno about you, but I am still laughing at Ro's comment @smoke_em_if_you_got_em
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    I dunno about you, but I am still laughing at Ro's comment @smoke_em_if_you_got_em
    Didn't even realize I had commented in this thread.....so I went back and read it. Too funny. 
    Update.

I've used the 15-minute freeze method with some (but not 100%) success.  I've also used the draw tool method.  The tool needs to be thinner than the skinny skewer I used...it split the stick once in 3 tries.  A big paper clip is about as thick as you should go.
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update.

I've used the 15-minute freeze method with some (but not 100%) success.  I've also used the draw tool method.  The tool needs to be thinner than the skinny skewer I used...it split the stick once in 3 tries.  A big paper clip is about as thick as you should go.
    Depending of the ring gauge and how tight the draw is you may want to leave them in longer. My ring gauges are usually no bigger than the mid-40s.

I'm glad that you did find some success.
    Update.  I bought a 10-pack of Partagas Cifuentes that were all tight as hell.  I let 'em rest an extra month, but this did nothing.  II tried the freeze and then the poker.  I screwed up with the poker and ruined a stick. Made me angry...I relented and purchased a "Draw Poker" on Amazon.  It was around $20.  It should probably cost about 5 bucks, but it's effective and has saved the other 9 Cifuentes.  The bad news is that I've found the Cifuentes to be a fairly meh smoke.
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just bought one of these from that other cigar etailer along with a xikar digital hygrometer. Hopefully it will save the Buena Vista cigars in the humidor.