Home General Discussion
Options

Need to get humidity DOWN

The humidity in my humidor has gone pretty high in the last week (very humid here in NJ) and I can't get it to go down. Tried opening it to let some of the humidity out and it just went higher. I have a cc bead jar in there that I recently recharged...anyone have other ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    throw in some dry beads, or kitty litter, or maybe some dry cedar or cigar boxes! just a newb opinion, im sure the experts will be ringing in anytime!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take out the bead jar in the meantime till it goes down.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the lid open
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Leave the lid open
    He lives in an otter's pocket, to borrow your phrase. Some people have put uncooked rice in a dish in the humi to suck up extra moisture. Dry beads work the same. I agree, take the jar out.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Those guys are right on about uncharged beads and kittylitter. More importantly, though:

1) Welcome to the forum
    2) I'm down the road about a half hour in Parsippany
    3) Another guy on here and I sometimes hit up the JR cigar on Route 10 in Whippany, you should come along some time. PM me.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    webmost:
    Leave the lid open
    He lives in an otter's pocket, to borrow your phrase. Some people have put uncooked rice in a dish in the humi to suck up extra moisture. Dry beads work the same. I agree, take the jar out.
    Rice works great. I use to play the humidity to high game all the time.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Gray4lines:
    webmost:
    Leave the lid open
    Rice works great. I use to play the humidity to high game all the time.
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've got a high humidity problem too with my new coolidor. Put a dozen or so cigar boxes in for a few days with a couple of wet sponges to season the boxes. I quickly got RH up to around 71% and stayed steady over a few days even though I expected it to go higher. After a while I figured it wasn't going to go any higher so I decided to added kitty litter in an effort to head back down towards my target of 65%. I added maybe a half pound to one pound of dry kitty litter. Then RH actually went up to 74% over the course of 24 hours. So I took out the sponges and after another 24 hours it still stayed at 74%. Now I have I replaced KL with same amount of dry KL thinking I overcharged the first KL. After about six hours now it's still at 74%. What should I try next? Wait and see? Add rice? I need this thing to behave. I have new cigars here that need a home to move into soon!
  • Options
    Are you using boxes for storage? If so, are they in the cooler yet?
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    reggie713:
    throw in some dry beads, or kitty litter, or maybe some dry cedar or cigar boxes! just a newb opinion, im sure the experts will be ringing in anytime!
    the beads or kl are good ideas,, i have also been told that a guy can try a small cup/jar of uncooked white rice,, looks like these have all been suggested,, sorry next time ill read the entire thread
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    Yes they've been in there this whole time, lids open.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Was the KL actually dry or has it been sitting/soaking up moisture in high humidity?
  • Options
    Roberto99:
    Was the KL actually dry or has it been sitting/soaking up moisture in high humidity?
    It was fresh and dry right out of the bag. (Mimi brand silica KL from walmart) I didn't spritz it. I was expecting it to bring the humidity down from 71% but was surprised it went up. That's when I replaced it with more dry KL. However, I have noticed that the bag that the KL came in does have a couple of very small holes allow for some air to flow through. I suppose this is so the bag would be less likely to burst. I dunno.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    ddubridge:
    I'm kind of at a loss. I think rice would work fine. I'm still not sure how you shot up so fast. KL must be running a little high. If you have more boxes add more boxes. I dont really have any experience with coolers yet, so I dont know from doing it.
  • Options
    Try microwaving the kl to dry it out
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    Bob Luken:
    ddubridge:
    I'm kind of at a loss. I think rice would work fine. I'm still not sure how you shot up so fast. KL must be running a little high. If you have more boxes add more boxes. I dont really have any experience with coolers yet, so I dont know from doing it.
    I had a pretty easy time of it with the first cooler. I used a buttload of 65% boveda packs in there and added plastic trays of loose cigars slowly over the course of a week and stabilized everything before I added the KL. I had to spritz the KL again and again for a couple of days just after I pulled the boveda packs out but then it has held rock solid 64 to 65% ever since with no additional spritzing. I have been very pleased with that first one but on the second one I decided to season the boxes first and this high humidity has me stumped.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Roberto99:
    It was fresh and dry right out of the bag. (Mimi brand silica KL from walmart) I didn't spritz it. I was expecting it to bring the humidity down from 71% but was surprised it went up. That's when I replaced it with more dry KL. However, I have noticed that the bag that the KL came in does have a couple of very small holes allow for some air to flow through. I suppose this is so the bag would be less likely to burst. I dunno.
    pm sent
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob, if you can leave the cooler lid cracked open for 6-8 hrs, and it is less humid outside, id do that... my cooler has a "drain" plug that I will leave uncapped to let a little air in. My Mimi litter ran a little high as well (71-72%.

If you need to dry it out and just opening the lid wont work, Id go with the same methods as suggessed before... blowdryer is best bet!! If you have more questions feel free to pm me. Sounds like we have the same set up.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    If you put the MIMI in, and you still had sponges in there then thats why it shot up. Anytime you have wet sponges in there they raise the humidity super fast. Any open water container, or open container with a sponge or some evaporation aiding material raises humidity levels fast. I'm guessing your cigars and all the wood from the boxes had enough time to soak up all that excess, so they are all at 74rh now. As said putting Mimi in dry should take it down, make sure you have as much surface area exposed as possible. Meaning a long flat tray exposing a large area of kitty litter will make it work most efficiently. In my short experience my MiMi actually tends to hold right around 65-67. If your ambient humidity where you live is below 65, then leaving the lid open for a few hours will help. The boxes and cigars need to release that humidity, then your litter will hold 65rh.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I think you should play your sax into it to get the humidity down, Ellis!
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Ken Light:
    Those guys are right on about uncharged beads and kittylitter. More importantly, though:

1) Welcome to the forum
    3) Another guy on here and I sometimes hit up the JR cigar on Route 10 in Whippany, you should come along some time. PM me.
    Ken, this is my boy Ellis. He has been to JRs with me once.
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    My suggestion a small dish of salt and dry rice to wick the moisture. Also salt test your hygro to make sure its on point.
  • Options
    ejasenovic:
    The humidity in my humidor has gone pretty high in the last week (very humid here in NJ) and I can't get it to go down. Tried opening it to let some of the humidity out and it just went higher. I have a cc bead jar in there that I recently recharged...anyone have other ideas/suggestions? Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum Ellis. I'm new here myself. I apologize for butting in with my own humidity problems. Next time I'll start my own thread.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    ejasenovic:
    Welcome to the forum Ellis. I'm new here myself. I apologize for butting in with my own humidity problems. Next time I'll start my own thread.
    Wow,, you hijacked the f out of this,, I didnt even realize this was Ellis' thread,,, LOL,,, Welcome Ellis,, hope from all the ideas you got it under control..
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Bob Luken:
    ejasenovic:
    Wow,, you hijacked the f out of this,, I didnt even realize this was Ellis' thread,,, LOL,,, Welcome Ellis,, hope from all the ideas you got it under control..
    Well hopefully since they have the same issue (high humidity) we can kill 2 birds with one stone. I'm guessing they both got about 5 different ideas on solutions to lower their humidity issues. Now for you PETA members...we didn't really kill any birds, definitely not 2 and definitely not endangered ones.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Ken Light:

1) Welcome to the forum
    Ken, this is my boy Ellis. He has been to JRs with me once.
    Oh, nice, well come more often Ellis.

EDIT: You know, when I read his bio and it said he played sax I had a hunch you'd probably know him, but I would've thought he'd lead with "I'm Rich's friend" when he posted, lol
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    ejasenovicejasenovic Posts: 66
    HA! You guys are crazy but extremely helpful! I took out the beads, found ways too cool down my room and then opened the box for a bit...humidity is dropping! I'm also recalibrating my digital hygrometer...I think it's a little off... Bob - No worries! Hope it helped you out too! Ken and Rich - Sorry I've been crazy busy! (not always a bad thing though) I'll stop by one of these days...or weeks...
  • Options
    ejasenovicejasenovic Posts: 66
    Though also while I'm here...is there anything that soaks up humidity?? (Other than more cigars...)
  • Options
    As said above rice does I guess (I didn't know this). Right out of the bag cat litter pearls, if you have some dry old cigar boxes or chunks of Spanish cedar toss the empty box in, it will suck up moisture pretty quickly. Others are dry conservagel beads, dry heartfelt beads, I guess a dish of salt (Andy) also will? Or just leave your lid off for a few hours (this assumes your room humidity is below 68 or 70rh). This is usually the easiest. I guess anything that absorbs moisture without giving off odor would work.