Home Non Cigar Related

Are there any RV technicians around

The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
Having problems with the fridge in my RV,, before i go into all the details,, anybody have experience in this area???

Comments

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    had an rv. run on gas, 12v and 110v?
  • tincup703tincup703 Posts: 58
    If your fridge is made by Dometic, check with an RV dealership to see if yours is on the list of Dometic recalls. There have been numerous recalls over the past several years.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    tincup703:
    If your fridge is made by Dometic, check with an RV dealership to see if yours is on the list of Dometic recalls. There have been numerous recalls over the past several years.
    Thanks!! No its a Norcold,, theyve have their share of recalls too but from what Ive heard this aint one of em. Got a couple calls out,, Based on my troubleshooting I think its either a circuit board problem or a bad cooling unit.. Im leaning towards one of the circuit boards, Or at least Im hoping, cause a new cooling unit aint cheap. Hell anything RV related is expensive,, One local shop wants 120.00 an hour.. Highway robbery at its finest!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Yep, you ain't kidding. I have an electrical problem in my 5th wheel. Can't use the stereo cause it crackles really loud and they also wanted $120/hr. good luck getting this fixed.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    If the cooling unit is bad it usually will have a tell-tell sign of a yellowish powder in the outside cooling compartment. Open it up and take a look. I am not a RV tech but I have many years of experience with them as an owner. I am assuming it was previously working OK and this is not a "new to you" unit.
    fla-gypsy:
    If the cooling unit is bad it usually will have a tell-tell sign of a yellowish powder in the outside cooling compartment. Open it up and take a look. I am not a RV tech but I have many years of experience with them as an owner. I am assuming it was previously working OK and this is not a "new to you" unit.
    You are correct,, its a relatively new unit 07,, No yellowish powder,, no smell of ammonia,, no fault indicators, Thermal resistor ohms out ok, good dc voltage input on power board, good ac voltage on power board. Does not work in either LP or AC mode, so doesnt appear to be a heating element problem. Boiler tube gets warm/hot. Gots me stumped!!! Went through troubleshooting guide,, researched on line various RV forums..
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I am not going to act like I know what to say, but where I work there are lots of RV guys. And Race-car builder/racers... (same guys for the most part). Ran the original question by some of them, they suggested a basic appliance repair shop if you can deliver the unit (drive up) it is typically cheaper. The guys in the shop suggested this because the components are similar and they have done it in the past... AC work especially... just a thought... might not be the right one, but a thought.
    Now its workin again,, freezer is at 0 deg and fridge is at 33,,, This is why I dont think its the cooling unit.. It did this before then a couple weeks later took a dive,, Im at a loss,, guess Im gonna start swappin circuit boards.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    No matter what the problem nor the situation... intermittent is a PITA. Work or Not that's what I say... and I am speaking of mechanical things not actual working class folk.
    macs-smokes:
    No matter what the problem nor the situation... intermittent is a PITA. Work or Not that's what I say... and I am speaking of mechanical things not actual working class folk.
    Yep!!!! problems that go away by themselves usually come back by themselves!!!