Home General Discussion
Options

I had something bad happen....

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
So check this ... It was my 4th wedding anni over the weekend. Well Thursday night we left for Seattle. Now I guess "something" happened because when we got back on Monday there was a lot of water all over the floor and it was bad enough it leaked downstairs. Well the bad part (if it can get worse) is that under that bathroom in the room below it sits my large cabinet humi. Now luckily my smokes were not in it as I was adding some led's in there and wiring up new fans but I think it is ruined.

There was a lot of damp wood inside and some water got in there. I noticed some warping of the cedar as well. I got the water problem fixed, seems as though the **** bucket in the bathroom kept bringing in water, so it flooded the bathroom. The real *** was drying and patching. luckily there was no short in the wiring. Freaking hell. Now I have to get a new humi and I have to take apart the one I have so I can scrap it. Freaking sucks. I almost want to move the freaking thing now however I am at a loss where to put it. Seems as though it's in the perfect spot. I was hoping to get the bathroom remodeled upstairs so when I do I'm moving the freaking **** bucket.

Comments

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    turds and sticks don't mix.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Dude, you lost a cabinet humi, my condolences. Placement placement is always in my mind. We bought a house that's 50 years old, so I am always aware of where water pipes are and spent a lot of time on location choice for my humis and wineador. Best of luck, how this never happens to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    This really really sucks and I'm sorry to hear it. Best of luck dude.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    That's awful man I hope you get it sorted quickly .
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Plumbing issues are a PIA anyway but when you consider that a humidor was affected as well can make your heart beat too fast. I use to live in a house with a basement ( new house ) and after the warranty period was over it would leak everytime there was a heavy rain and I've changed out enough toilets to where I should get a patch saying I'm a qualified plumber. Were you able to turn this over to insurance esp. if it was a costly thing to repair?
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucks big time. At least your smokes weren't in it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    Plumbing issues are a PIA anyway but when you consider that a humidor was affected as well can make your heart beat too fast. I use to live in a house with a basement ( new house ) and after the warranty period was over it would leak everytime there was a heavy rain and I've changed out enough toilets to where I should get a patch saying I'm a qualified plumber. Were you able to turn this over to insurance esp. if it was a costly thing to repair?
    I took pictures and stuff, I contacted the insurance company about it. Sure it's over 4000 dollars worth of damage! Sure I did the work myself but the damage is still there. So hopefully I'll get something out of it. The person I talked too said I should see something. I'm waiting to hear back before I buy another one.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    That is a huge bummer, sorry bro. How long has it been? You may be able to salvage most of your humi and just rework the doors for a proper seal. Wood has a way of remembering the shape it was in.
  • Options
    AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Ouch.... be glad it was empty. Is it trashed? The nice thing about wood is that it can usually be repaired. Bad deal but look on the bright side, it could have been worse.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • Options
    Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    Owch! Hope you are able to get another soon. It's definitely a good thing your sticks weren't in it!
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck Glen getting it all taken care of, it sure is a process.