Home Cigar 101
Options

Newbie question time: Why some wrappers taste bitter?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just started smoking a PERDOMO 10TH ANNIVERSARY CRIOLLO that I've had for over a year in my humidor. Mild smoke, but bitter wrapper taste on my lips. I like the cigar a lot but noticed how bitter the wrapper tastes and I remember having other cigars that have a bitter tasting wrapper but otherwise the smoke tasted fine. Are there certain wrappers that always taste bitter? Do some wrappers taste more bitter as they rest or age?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    not a newbie question

its the oils that you are tasting.
    as to if some wrappers are more bitter than others.... that may be a personal issue. maybe you are what is referred to as a supertaster. A person who is a Supertaster can taste things better than most people. with this condition bitter seems to be the taste that is heightened the most.

how do you feel about:
    coffee
    Grapefruit
    Green olives
    Tonic water
    Green tea

??

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    not a newbie question

as to if some wrappers are more bitter than others.... that may be a personal issue. maybe you are what is referred to as a supertaster. A person who is a Supertaster can taste things better than most people. with this condition bitter seems to be the taste that is heightened the most.

how do you feel about:
    coffee
    Grapefruit
    Green olives
    Tonic water
    Green tea

??

coffee - Love it. ( but I like cream & sugar added ) Grapefruit - Bitter (Super tart actually). Green olives - Tart & tangy. Tonic water - Been a long time since I tasted any. Green tea - Grassy. I need and want to taste some cigars that are known to be strong in a particular way so I can better tell what the profiles are giving off. A spicy one, a peppery one, a coffe one (not infused I wouldn't think.) Any suggestions on that line of thinking?

Also, I've had PERDOMO 10TH ANNIVERSARY CRIOLLOs before and they weren't bitter but this one had well over a years time in my humidor. Do the oils come out more with age?
  • Options
    Bob Luken:

coffee - Love it. ( but I like cream & sugar added )
    Grapefruit - Bitter (Super tart actually).
    Green olives - Tart & tangy.
    Tonic water - Been a long time since I tasted any.
    Green tea - Grassy.

well... i cant tell if you are a super taster or not from that. but i still suspect you are.
    Bob Luken:
    Also, I've had PERDOMO 10TH ANNIVERSARY CRIOLLOs before and they weren't bitter but this one had well over a years time in my humidor. Do the oils come out more with age?
    sometimes they do sometimes not.
    maybe the oils were there before and you just didnt notice it before. maybe not. Maybe your palate has just developed and you are now looking for more flavors than before.
    Bob Luken:
    I need and want to taste some cigars that are known to be strong in a particular way so I can better tell what the profiles are giving off. A spicy one,
    the first inch or so of just about any AJ Fernandez blend. specifically Nica Libre and San Lotano Habano
    Bob Luken:
    a peppery one,
    DPG blue, and CAO LX2
    Bob Luken:
    a coffee one (not infused I wouldn't think.)
    if you can find a Liga Privada No.9 with about a year on it that has a good amount of coffee on it. El Mejor Espresso is cheap and coffee.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    not a newbie question

how do you feel about:
    coffee
    Grapefruit
    Green olives
    Tonic water
    Green tea

??

This is very interesting. These things that you listed, I can totally define the bitterness in each. But its not a harsh bitter. It's a bitterness that I enjoy (if that makes sense) specially in coffee and tea. Unlike, let's say a ..... bitter melon. Now that's harsh bitter.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Nice lists of various bitter tastes.. Some I enjoy, coffee, tea, olives, unsweetened cocoa, tonic water, and even beer. Others I am not fond of...grapefruit, walnuts, and brussel sprouts. Each is bitter in a different way. I may be a supertaster and didn't realize it. This seems strange because I prefer salty foods, maybe to cover the bitterness that seems to be in many foods.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Here is a simple test to see what kind of taster you are using rather interesting questions: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/interactives/supertaster/ OR learn more here, and if you are more of a hands-on person order a test kit: http://supertaster.com/ OR lastly, learn here, and actually find out how to 'count the papillae on your tongue' http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=super-tasting-science-find-out-if-youre-a-supertaster Enjoy!
  • Options
    bearb:
    Here is a simple test to see what kind of taster you are using rather interesting questions: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/interactives/supertaster/ OR learn more here, and if you are more of a hands-on person order a test kit: http://supertaster.com/ OR lastly, learn here, and actually find out how to 'count the papillae on your tongue' http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=super-tasting-science-find-out-if-youre-a-supertaster Enjoy!
    i always suspected that i was a supertaster and these links confirmed that situation. i didnt know how to test it really.
    the reason why i always thought i was a supertaster wasnt because i feel like i can taste very well but more because i was very sensitive to bitter like most supertasters are. the list of foods i provided before was part of what gave it away. i have had a very rocky relationship with those foods my entire life and even now that i am ok with most of them i have to be in the mood for that item specifically grapefruit being the most friendly to me.

and im never in the mood for tonic water. gross.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    No problem....i am 'on the edge' of being a super taster. I have not counted the papillae on my tongue...yet! ;) But i do love me a gin and tonic for it's medicinal purposes only ;)