Home General Discussion
Options

New Humidor. Will it ruin my cigars?

O.K., a co-worker built me a humidor out of 1" oak and it is inlayed with walnut. The thing is awesome, but, it is lined with cedar fence pickets that he planed down to 3/8" and built the rest of the box around. I seasoned it and had it holding roughly 78% humidity and was going to start backing it off, but now the cedar aroma is really strong. I think I know the answer, but I want some advice from you guys. Will this ruin my cigar collection that I have collected so far? Should I just order a humidor from cheaphumidors.com?

Comments

• Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    pull out the fence pickets and replace them with spanish cedar.
  • Options
    I can't. The exterior of the humidor is built around the cedar and I have to tear it apart to remove them. If I tear it apart, it will ruin the exterior pieces.
  • Options
    casmangcasmang Posts: 31
    Maybe you need to have a set of "dispensable" cigars that you can put in there when he comes over...unless someone has any ideas...
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Ya, I would just grab a bundle of cheaper sticks and let them get infused with cedar.
  • Options
    When he built it, he told me if it didn't work I could give it back to him and he would use it for something. I guess that is what I need to do.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Sounds like he used Eastern Red Cedar (an aromatic) instead of Spanish Cedar. One's good for lining humidors, the other for lining closets to keep away clothes moths. Sounds like he just build a mini hope chest!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    Sounds like he used Eastern Red Cedar (an aromatic) instead of Spanish Cedar. One's good for lining humidors, the other for lining closets to keep away clothes moths. Sounds like he just build a mini hope chest!
    exactly.
    Also known as Cedrela odorata, Spanish Cedar is neither Spanish nor a Cedar; it is a member of the Meliaceae, or Mahogany family.

the name "spanish cedar" comes from both the language of the area where it grows and the genus of the plant. "spanish cedrela "
  • Options
    WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Posts: 328
    That's true..... Spanish Cedar likes 70-72% RH.... it'll draw out what it needs and put back what it don't... Aromatic cedar will not do the trick....