Home Cigar 101
Options

Lighting a cigar

StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
Everyone has there own way to light a cigar ! However lately I've seen more and more people toast before clipping the cap. At first I didn't see why that would make a difference. Well today I tried it and wow did it make a difference. It toasted quickly, burnt perfect, and had no odd taste that I've noticed when clipping the cap then toasting. Looks like I'm gonna change the way I light my cigars!

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard that toasting before cutting can keep bitter flavors out, however, I like to draw test before I light. I think using a draw poker or gently squeezing on a trouble spot is easier before a cigar is lit, or you can leave it out for a little while and come back after it dries out a little (if too moist). Can't do any of this if you light before you uncap.

. Especially with a soft flame, I always take time toasting and very rarely have a bad light with bitterness.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it works for people, but I really love the dry draw. I normally draw on t a bit before I light. I actually toast, then blow at the end until the cherry is completely red before I draw. It's my weird way, works for me lol.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    I'm sure it works for people, but I really love the dry draw. I normally draw on t a bit before I light. I actually toast, then blow at the end until the cherry is completely red before I draw. It's my weird way, works for me lol.
    I do that too. Will sometimes dry draw for a few min. Then toast all the way and usually dont puff until it is completely toasted and mostly red
  • Options
    jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Stsepas:
    Everyone has there own way to light a cigar ! However lately I've seen more and more people toast before clipping the cap. At first I didn't see why that would make a difference. Well today I tried it and wow did it make a difference. It toasted quickly, burnt perfect, and had no odd taste that I've noticed when clipping the cap then toasting. Looks like I'm gonna change the way I light my cigars!
    Ok, newb question. Can someone explain what "toasting" is and what are the possible benefits from it?
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    yep, me too, just like that
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    I don't know the term toast but I flame the end while rolling it to get an even light goining before drawing. Makes all the difference in the world. That first puff after you blow on the foot to make sure you got it right is fantastic unless you picked a looser.
  • Options
    pilgrimtex:
    I don't know the term toast but I flame the end while rolling it to get an even light goining before drawing. Makes all the difference in the world. That first puff after you blow on the foot to make sure you got it right is fantastic unless you picked a looser.
    Yup! Thats toasting. You heat the end to get it warmed up. It'd be harder (and probably bitter) to just hold a cigar to a flame and immediately start puffing. Toasting (holding a flame near then end) kind of eases the cigar into lighting and makes sure you get a good, even light without overheating the cigar.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Kudos to you...I've been preaching this for 5 years now and what you have discovered is what a lot of people have told me about the practice of doing it this way. What happens is that you aren't drawing scorched tobacco taste up through the cigar...a lot of BOTL will draw while lighting and sometimes that flame will get to close and char the end thus sucking up all that burnt taste. Here's another treat for you...try 'wetting' you cigar before smoking...I run just a light stream of water under the faucet and wet the entire cigar...ensure that you do this with the foot of the cigar iin the downward position...you don't want water getting into the foot. I ensure doing this with an unclipped cigar and then let the cigar rest on a paper towel to let the residual water fall off....or I will wipe it off and then put it into my cigar tube for about 12 hours. I smoke it the next day and it burns almost perfect and it makes a difference by at least 25% in a better smoke.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Is it April Fools?I was talking to the fish about this yesterday...how did anyone find out that kitty litter keeps good RH? Someone had to do something crazy.Now, I'm not saying it does not work...but how did ANYONE figure this out?
  • Options
    Having a good draw tool will help here...I don't usually clip my cigar until it's lit ( with the heat of the flame..never the fire....a torch is measured at around 1500 degrees while a natural flame is about 900 degrees ) so a natural soft flame is my choice and it totally makes a difference in the quality of the cigar. Let's say that your cigar is then clipped and you find that it has a tight draw....I have 3 draw tools that all work perfect and one is for shorter cigars and the others are for longer ones. I will insert the rod into the smoking end and then push it and twist the rod and then pull it out while still twisting and it pretty much takes out the offending plug. The draw tools I have ......have a crochet like rod with inverted cuts in the rod that will grab ahold of the tobacco and when you twist it coming out it brings the offending plug with it and you have no more problems.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    Kudos to you...I've been preaching this for 5 years now and what you have discovered is what a lot of people have told me about the practice of doing it this way. What happens is that you aren't drawing scorched tobacco taste up through the cigar...a lot of BOTL will draw while lighting and sometimes that flame will get to close and char the end thus sucking up all that burnt taste. Here's another treat for you...try 'wetting' you cigar before smoking...I run just a light stream of water under the faucet and wet the entire cigar...ensure that you do this with the foot of the cigar iin the downward position...you don't want water getting into the foot. I ensure doing this with an unclipped cigar and then let the cigar rest on a paper towel to let the residual water fall off....or I will wipe it off and then put it into my cigar tube for about 12 hours. I smoke it the next day and it burns almost perfect and it makes a difference by at least 25% in a better smoke.
    I would guess this is the less offensive way of "wetting " a cigar. As opposed to inserting the entire cigar in your mouth as I have seen done. Still, not my method either way.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Cigary:
    I would guess this is the less offensive way of "wetting " a cigar. As opposed to inserting the entire cigar in your mouth as I have seen done. Still, not my method either way.
    back in the day before humidors were as good as they are today and it was difficult to keep a steady RH wetting was a fairly common practice for dry/unknown cigars.
    honestly i dont think this has any real world application today so long as the humidor is working well.
    it may even do more harm than good on many cigars.

as far as toasting before the clip..
    i have heard good things about it as well. im not sold on it yet but i can see the theory. of course some other brothers here have described their methods of doing almost the same thing.
    the real thing that matters is to not light too fast no matter how you do it.
    if you are trying a new way of lighting a cigar for the first time you will have a tendency to take your time and do it right as apposed to doing in a routine that usually ends up fast because it is a familiar action.
    thus, the "new way" of lighting a cigar will be perceived to work better. it may or may not be the new method, but rather the time and care put into lighting slowly.

... just food for thought.
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    How long does it take to do a good toast and what distance from the flame to the cigar should one keep? im really nervous when it comes to doing a good toast... i dont want to burn it to hard and fast. Im gonna give the toast and clip technique tomorrow night. :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    you want the flame not to direct touch the cigar your using the very tips of the flames to toast the cigar.
    i toast till it's complete cherry, just watch that you dont stray off and start to burn the cigar beyond the foot, you could get an uneven burn
  • Options
    I'm gonna really give my next one a good toast. Is there a point in time which you can over toast?
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    good question, but i thinks its a matter of preference, i dont there is a point of over toasting, i have met some cigar smokers who use match sticks up to 7-8 at a time and keep lighting one after another till they are satisfied, not any particular time.
    i think you should try it a few times, you will get the toasting you prefer and most likely not even know know it till you rethink it later on, to much thought into it not enough smoking.LOL
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I think over toasting would occur with a triple flame if you char the end really. The point of toasting is to get an even cherry an not char the wrapper or end.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    I'm gonna really give my next one a good toast. Is there a point in time which you can over toast?
    If your wrapper is blackening
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    I have my torch working great now so I will see what I can do tonight. Might practice on one of my nasty sticks I have in my humi first. :)
  • Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    I like to use a torch; single or double because the flame is accurate and doesen't get caught in a breeze like the others. Keep it far enough away and it won't be too hot. I use a single torch for my pipes even though its not recommended for the same reason. its also quicker on them. Even my meerschaums.
  • Options
    StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    Cigary:

Thanks cigary I Appriciate that. And it has really made all the difference in the world. I just wish I started this earlier. I'm now noticing how much more I enjoy the cigars that I already loved!!'
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    I like to use a torch; single or double because the flame is accurate and doesen't get caught in a breeze like the others. Keep it far enough away and it won't be too hot. I use a single torch for my pipes even though its not recommended for the same reason. its also quicker on them. Even my meerschaums.
    Ive got a triple flame and though it is a nice lighter I feel it toasts to fast. Most times when I use a torch I prefer my cheap single flame Ronson, but most of the time I use a bic. But I am looking for a soft flame lighter that gives off a little bigger of a flame.
  • Options
    I've been 'wetting' cigars for nearly 20 years and it was told to me as to how to do this w/o causing issue with the cigar. Obviously you don't wet the cigar with the foot exposed or having the head already clipped. You let a light stream of water cascade from the unclipped end of the cigar and then lay it on a piece of paper towel and wipe the excess moisture off and then let it sit for a few hours and by doing this it enhances the cigar to have a much better burn quality. Does it help overall in the taste of the cigar...yes because it keeps the cigar from smoking hot and as I noted the burn line is a lot better. Some of the old timers still do it because they have noted a better quality and instead of licking the wrapper as they used to do decades ago wetting has a much way to keep the quality where it belongs.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    kaspera79:
    Cigary:
    back in the day before humidors were as good as they are today and it was difficult to keep a steady RH wetting was a fairly common practice for dry/unknown cigars.
    honestly i dont think this has any real world application today so long as the humidor is working well.

as far as toasting before the clip..
    i have heard good things about it as well. im not sold on it yet but i can see the theory. of course some other brothers here have described their methods of doing almost the same thing.
    the real thing that matters is to not light too fast no matter how you do it.
    if you are trying a new way of lighting a cigar for the first time you will have a tendency to take your time and do it right as apposed to doing in a routine that usually ends up fast because it is a familiar action.
    thus, the "new way" of lighting a cigar will be perceived to work better. it may or may not be the new method, but rather the time and care put into lighting slowly.

... just food for thought.
    I take it you're not running it under distilled water? No, can't be if you said from the faucet. I thought the whole point of using distilled water in your humi was to not "contaminate" your cigars? Well, not something I'd ever try, but I'm glad it works for you.
  • Options
    Distilled water is just so minerals and deposits don't build up in the humidifiers; might start to smell like chlorine or other chems too, depending on your tap water. A quick dunk wouldn't hurt. It's the prolonged cycle of evaporation and leaving behind a precipitate that's the problem (I think).
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Distilled water is just so minerals and deposits don't build up in the humidifiers; might start to smell like chlorine or other chems too, depending on your tap water. A quick dunk wouldn't hurt. It's the prolonged cycle of evaporation and leaving behind a precipitate that's the problem (I think).
    Exactly.....when it rains in the tobacco fields I seriously doubt it's DW....water will not hurt the tobacco esp. when it's just done under a controlled situation. Let the water run down the cigar lightly and then wipe off the excess water...voila'....it does help with the way your cigar burns. DW is used for hygros as the good brother said above.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    kaspera79:
    Cigary:
    Can you please explain to me how the water helps the burn?
  • Options
    the water sealing gaps in the wrapper, making the cigar smoke cooler, making the smoke more concentrated, etc.... ( This was said in an article by MRN ) and when I read this years ago I wanted to find out on my own if it was true. ) My experiment went as follows: 1. Take 3 cigars that are in the same humidor ( I chose RP Vintage 90 as the test cigars...all cigars came from the same box ..same age..etc. ) 2. Since I was acquainted with this cigar and knew it's taste very well I wanted to see how wetting one of them measured up against the others. 3. I smoked the first one plain....the second one was the one I wet...then smoked a third one that was plain. I took notes on the overall experiment and discovered that the cigar that I wet actually smoked the best..it was cooler, it was a bit tastier and it was well worth the effort to do this experiment. This practice has been in Cigar Forums for awhile and I can give you one example of those who tried it themselves..a lot of them were those who already didn't think that this would make a difference and they learned differently. http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-cigar-discussion/274540-wetting-wrappers-improve-taste-8.html