Home Non Cigar Related

June 6th

HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
69 years ago today. Never forget

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Some brave effers. Greatest generation for sure.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    my grandfather and great uncle were there. amazed they survived. 97% of all that landed were either killed or injured in the first 3 days.
    those guys had more balls in their little fingers than most of us have in our actual balls.

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Heavy,, wouldn't surprise me if this event has been reduced to a sentence or two in today's high school history books.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvZCDfhoNxA
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Rain:
    my grandfather and great uncle were there. amazed they survived. 97% of all that landed were either killed or injured in the first 3 days.
    those guys had more balls in their little fingers than most of us have in our actual balls.

I don't know about that man. I saw a lot of people joining up after sept. 11th because we were attacked. The same could be said of the people who did so in WWII. Though yes, it was a huge difference but still the sense of duty took over. In both reading and watching stories from people who served in WWII most are the same, they joined to protect the country. And a lot of them did so because they didn't want to be drafted with no options. I lost a good portion of my family over WWII and a couple survived. I never got to talk to any of them sadly as I would have loved too. Sadly I feel that the days of these kinds of people ended with that generation.