Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Windows 8.1

The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
Looks like this is going to be released on June 26th. From what I understand users who are currently running windows 8 can upgrade without charge (free) but will have to reinstall their current apps. I was thinking about making the switch to windows 8 and with this release I may just do it. Also with 8.1 comes Internet explorer 11. I don't use "the cloud" much but it appears that this OS is geared heavily towards cloud based files. Any one currently using 8.0, care to share your thoughts?? Also I would like to hear from any bing users out there, I use google and I would like to hear thoughts from someone who has used both.

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I really don't like it for laptops or desktops. I mean if you have a tablet or their smartphone it's great but that's it. With 8.1 then it might be better but that start icon with a mouse is really important. It's not that I think the os is crap it's just that for a non touch based interface it's sort of bogus. Either way it's best to hold off until the new update comes out before jumping. One thing I have learned is never jump on a new os or hardware as soon as it is released.

Bing is okay I guess. I find myself using google though more than bing. I also find googlemaps to be better than bing as well. Then again I find myself hating all these installed plug ins and tool bars and I hate having to say download something only to have them install on my system. Then I have to go and uninstall them. I really don't like using IE, never have. I find it to be too heavy. Even Firefox has pissed me off and it if wasn't for a couple of add on's I would have dumped it long ago for chrome. If you are running windows 7 I suggest staying there for some time but if you are looking to get the newest OS then at least wait till after the update and if you haven't already a lot of malls have a kiosk where you can mess around with windows 8.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Buy a Mac. Partition your hard drive. Install Windows. Best of both worlds.