Home General Discussion
Options

Your opinion please

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Ive decided for my personal smokes im gonna get this humidor. Ill still have my current one for stashing bombs and trades before they leave to their victims and possibly a cooler as well. i think ultimately this one would work best for helping me maintain a reasonable collection that wont horribly break my bank. Its marketed to hold 125 sticks... maybe 80-90 realistically. so not a bad size collection and variety for myself. based off the pic (which doesn't really provide the best views) how would you recommend humidifying it? Ive got an idea but would like opinions and weigh out options i hadn't thought of yet.
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    looks like you might be able to put the humidication device of choice under the back the bottom tray. This would allow for more cigar room. Just my .02.
  • Options
    Thats what i was thinking. it says it has 2 oblong humidification units built in.... i assume its in the upper part of the humi. But i was thinking beads or a couple Dr. RH jars like i have in my current set up. I wasnt sure how well they would work on a taller unit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I would consider a cooler first since it's super cheap and easy to maintain. If you fill that up, then start looking at a cabinet. They can be had for as little as $300 shipped and small enough to be maintained with beads. I like the looks of this but for what you're gonna spend, you can get a huge cooler and beads. Spend wisely so you can get more sticks!!
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Cabinets for 300? Yes please.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    That's 60-80 max IMO, and really...I do not like the fact that the angles prevent you from fillign up that thing lol. Just my two cents, save your money, and go the cooler route or wineador route. Nothing wrong with using tupperware and a boveda pack, I know I will be come July.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    BTW...if you watch Sprint Sale, all sorts of awesome humi's come up there for cheap. That's where I'd buy if I was in the market again.
  • Options
    I will keep my eyes on it! :)
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    We do love our nice shiny wood cabinets and humidors...they are pleasing to the eyes and it's all about presentation. For us ole FOG's we learned that at the end of the day it's about our cigars and there are cooleradors and tupperadors that can hold A LOT of cigars and at a price that is second to none. It then allows us to buy more of what we like...CIGARS! If you have enough money to support the 'shiny toys' by all means get it. For more practical purposes I'd say buy a cooler or tupperware.
  • Options
    I've heard about coolers and Tupperware... Haven't heard any Rubbermaid products mentioned. Is there a reason for this? I'm assuming its due to a sealing factor.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    LiquidChaos66:
    I've heard about coolers and Tupperware... Haven't heard any Rubbermaid products mentioned. Is there a reason for this? I'm assuming its due to a sealing factor.
    The plastic doesn't need seasoned like wood so it is more stable when it comes to humidity. It also is a airtight seal in most cases leaving humidity problems very rare. If you don't mind the looks large coolers are the best, if you want the looks get a cabinet since it will get full. I went from a 50 ct to a 100 ct to a 300 ct to a short cabinet (5-6 ft tall) and it is sorta getting full...
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    If you keep your eyes on the sprint sale for a humidor don't get distracted by the deals on cigars. Stay focused LOL. I have been watching the sprint sales a lot lately but I haven't seen any large glass beauties that you seem to like. Mostly what I see are desktop models. However there are some great bargains to be had there. The Southport Large which normally goes for $69.?? can be had for around $40 and the Southport Small which sells for $59.?? can be had for $20. I have a Southport large and I counted my sticks once and there wre almost 90 in there and it wasn't quite full. I bet you could get 100 in there if you had plenty of robustos to make the most of the space.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    LiquidChaos66:
    If you keep your eyes on the sprint sale for a humidor don't get distracted by the deals on cigars. Stay focused LOL. I have been watching the sprint sales a lot lately but I haven't seen any large glass beauties that you seem to like. Mostly what I see are desktop models. However there are some great bargains to be had there. The Southport Large which normally goes for $69.?? can be had for around $40 and the Southport Small which sells for $59.?? can be had for $20. I have a Southport large and I counted my sticks once and there wre almost 90 in there and it wasn't quite full. I bet you could get 100 in there if you had plenty of robustos to make the most of the space.
    or graduate from kindergarten in smoke Coronas ;)
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I think if you're buying a humidor of that size because you're worried about having too many cigars, at least that's how I interpreted your post, I'd just buy a small cooler. Especially if you already own a small humi.

That being said, if I had that one, I'd throw two boveda packs under the bottom tray, and call it a day. Litter is not my style, and I don't care for beads in a small, wood humidor. Although that one actually has enough room that I could run beads, and not waste a bunch of space, so maybe beads.
  • Options
    As much as i would love to have thousands of cigars and too many boxes to count i think i already know what i need to do. I used to collect Hotwheels... i had over 3000 before i sold them. Knowing myself if i keep finding extra space for what my hobby is i wont be able to stop myself. lol forced self control if that makes any sense.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like a nice piece. I do like the look, but storage comes secondary to presentation for that guy. A good set-up with that humi would be: use that to keep "to smoke" cigars and have a backup for more storage. Be it a cooler or larger humidor...

Maybe you should take a look at "table" or "nightstand" looking humidors... a little more storage and they can be glass top for the presentation. They dont have to be gigantic either.

It's always good to have some growing room... you will see a box deal someday and wish you had space for them!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66:
    As much as i would love to have thousands of cigars and too many boxes to count i think i already know what i need to do. I used to collect Hotwheels... i had over 3000 before i sold them. Knowing myself if i keep finding extra space for what my hobby is i wont be able to stop myself. lol forced self control if that makes any sense.
    NO! That doesn't make ANY sense! You big wuss! GET A COOLER! HAHAHAHAHahahaha! :P
  • Options
    Rain:
    Bob Luken:
    LiquidChaos66:
    or graduate from kindergarten in smoke Coronas ;)
    If the sprint sale sells robustos,..... Bobby buys robustos :P
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    That looks like a nice piece. I do like the look, but storage comes secondary to presentation for that guy. A good set-up with that humi would be: use that to keep "to smoke" cigars and have a backup for more storage. Be it a cooler or larger humidor...

Maybe you should take a look at "table" or "nightstand" looking humidors... a little more storage and they can be glass top for the presentation. They dont have to be gigantic either.

It's always good to have some growing room... you will see a box deal someday and wish you had space for them!

I looked at furniture humidors and they are a little out of my price range right now. I think ultimately what I'm gonna do is pick up this one and a cooler depending on how much funding I get from my birthday. Might just come out with enough for a cooler alone.

. I would prefer this unit though. It just comes down to "I'm hungry what's in the fridge" syndrome. Where you know you want something but you just stand there staring with the door open. I've maintained 68%-70% RH with my current humi despite leaving it open for a while during my indecision. It seems to be really good at bring the levels back up fairly reasonably.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    LiquidChaos66:
    NO! That doesn't make ANY sense! You big wuss! GET A COOLER! HAHAHAHAHahahaha! :P

I am no wuss sir!!!! Lol ;) I just know my personality when it comes to my hobbies. I also know how angry my wife can get if i end up spending more money that i really need to. Self control and self preservation. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    That's the whole point of a cooler. If you decide you don't want to use it or upgrade to something else, the cooler can be used as it's intended. It's a cheap investment. Either way, just have fun. That's the most important thing.
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66:
    Bob Luken:
    LiquidChaos66:

I am no wuss sir!!!! Lol ;) I just know my personality when it comes to my hobbies. I also know how angry my wife can get if i end up spending more money that i really need to. Self control and self preservation. ;)
    Hey buddy. I know that you know that I'm joking. By the way, I am very interested to know what you think of the Alec Bradley 1997 harvest selection that I sent you. Fire it up!
  • Options
    Oh yeah I knew you were joking. :) I have yet to be offended by anyone or their statements here! :) only thing that's offended me is the one star rating on one of my threads....... Lmao!!!! It's been far to soggy out to sit out and enjoy a smoke around here sadly. But I will put that on my top of my smoke list! More than likely tomorrow :)
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Since I have a lot of cigars I experiment with different sources to house them in and when it comes to Tupperadors I have to give the nod to RubberMaid products. They seal better than the rest and I have about 5 different types of tupperware so I know from experience. I hardly ever have to add DW to my hygros in the RubberMaids while the others are a bit more maintenance...once a month I will add DW but they still work well. I was out shopping around the other day and lo and behold I saw a lot of RubberMaids at Big Lots...they were only $4 so I know where to get some when I need them...that price is stealing them. The 1 1/2 containers usually go for $15 and they easily hold about 125 toro size cigars. I usually buy the 2.5 gallon size which hold about 200 toro sized cigars and they are usually found in Walmart for about $9. I think the 1 1/2 gallon size is better if you want to organize your stuff and for $4 you just aren't going to beat this....I think I just talked myself into going back and buying all of the RubberMaids they have which was about 10 of them. That is $40 which is still cheaper than buying one wood humidor and I'll be able to organize my sticks a lot better.
  • Options
    NOBLE 6NOBLE 6 Posts: 34
    Cigary:
    Since I have a lot of cigars I experiment with different sources to house them in and when it comes to Tupperadors I have to give the nod to RubberMaid products. They seal better than the rest and I have about 5 different types of tupperware so I know from experience. I hardly ever have to add DW to my hygros in the RubberMaids while the others are a bit more maintenance...once a month I will add DW but they still work well. I was out shopping around the other day and lo and behold I saw a lot of RubberMaids at Big Lots...they were only $4 so I know where to get some when I need them...that price is stealing them. The 1 1/2 containers usually go for $15 and they easily hold about 125 toro size cigars. I usually buy the 2.5 gallon size which hold about 200 toro sized cigars and they are usually found in Walmart for about $9. I think the 1 1/2 gallon size is better if you want to organize your stuff and for $4 you just aren't going to beat this....I think I just talked myself into going back and buying all of the RubberMaids they have which was about 10 of them. That is $40 which is still cheaper than buying one wood humidor and I'll be able to organize my sticks a lot better.
    Been my experience with Big Lots that what's on the shelf may be all they will get. Probably should buy them all.
  • Options
    So when setting up a plastic container for cigars that aren't in boxes what's your advice? I've had people at my B&M suggest putting some Spanish cedar in there on the bottom of the containers. I've seen some setups without a hint of cedar in them. Is it preference or good recommendation to do that?

I've been treated really well here... But something tells me you all are trying to create a monster inside me. ;) lol I still want that humi for my personal/regular smokes... And a classy lookin display piece as well. But I would need somewhere to store the rest... Cause god knows I'm gonna buy a box someday and another and another and another.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty but I've seen em and they are lots smaller than they look.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    It's pretty but I've seen em and they are lots smaller than they look.
    This is mine holds around 160-180 paid 100$ on bid site.image
  • Options
    Not a bad lookin piece... I might have to see if I can find space for a standing piece like that. Small house lol