Home General Discussion
Options

Fell in to the vortex...

I'm a newbie here and also a newbie to cigar smoking in general.....  I am a hobbyist woodworker and have built a few humidors for my friends and family.... plus tons of jewelry boxes and keepsake boxes.

A while back, I visited nearly all the cigar lounges in the Atlanta area just to see what was involved with humidors as I had a request to build one..... or two.  It was during this research time that I fell in to the vortex....

Good stuff!

I'm working on my fifth humidor now and having a lot of fun!

Nothing better than the scent of spanish cedar permeating the woodshop!

Here's my favorite one..... but, the one on the bench is starting to look better.... imageimage

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    fantastic.

stick around this forum for a while. humidor construction knowledge is a valuable asset to the forum.

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    /Jaw drops...

With Cabi here and now waxi on here.... I'm gonna go build a humidor too!!!

Or how about I just buy a bunch of spanish cedar and glue it together in one shltty block, cut it in half and throw it in the garbage...

it'll save me some time
  • Options
    WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Posts: 328
    lol..... Here's the next one coming off the bench soon..... Should be done by the weekend. Then it's off to a my favorite shop to sit in the window for a while.... 0.8 cubic feet of real estate inside.... 20x12.5x8.75 High on the outside... imageimage Here's a sketch up of the trayworks...... that's what I'm working on now. The main portion of the box is drying out after being saturated and buffed out with teak oil. Should be ready for the lacquer tomorrow. image
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Very nice work!
  • Options
    Thank you, Sir! With a handle like Cabinetmaker, I would presume that you make some dust every now and again as well.....
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    WaxingMoon:
    Thank you, Sir! With a handle like Cabinetmaker, I would presume that you make some dust every now and again as well.....
    Every single day.
  • Options
    andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    There are going to be some awesome humi convos!!
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Those are great looking boxes. I have a question about the first one you posted: how did you get those dark corner slivers in there? Is that some sort of biscuit or something? Really cool affect and beautiful humidors. Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Lasabar:
    /Jaw drops...

With Cabi here and now waxi on here.... I'm gonna go build a humidor too!!!

Or how about I just buy a bunch of spanish cedar and glue it together in one shltty block, cut it in half and throw it in the garbage...

it'll save me some time
    After buying the spanish Cedar you took a wrong turn. After that you need to buy some beer & scotch, but a bunch of prem sticks or just pluck them out of your humi, and drive to Cabi or Waxi and plead with them to build you something so nice.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    Wow! Those are great looking boxes. I have a question about the first one you posted: how did you get those dark corner slivers in there? Is that some sort of biscuit or something? Really cool affect and beautiful humidors. Welcome to the forum.
    Those are splines.... Splines are both functional and decorative. They keep the corners tight and they look good. This box is made out of Bubinga and the trim is ebony. Hard to explain how.... but, if ya dig deep enough in my website, I blog most everything I build. Thanks for the compliement.
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliments on the humidors. I just came up from the shop cutting up a bunch of spanish cedar to make this part of my next one. A lot of real estate inside that one. I hope it all fits inside the humidor... I still have to glue it all up and sand it down.... but, it's gettin' there. Boy, did my shop smell good tonight! image
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    mmmmm birds eye maple.....

that is what i want to top a guitar with in the future.
  • Options
    rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    Nice wood working Mr. Fell-into-the-vortex, welcome to cigar.com. I too am fairly new, not as handy with my hands building-wise but I can draw up a mean plan :D Curious, would you do requests? Robert aka rad1964
  • Options
    whats that a drafting program I see.....?? whats it called???
  • Options
    Thanks Rad!...... I can do requests.... This one is 'bout ready to come off the bench, then I'll need something to do.... The drafting program is sketch up. It's a freebie that you can download from google..... Works great - for free!
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭

Those are absolutly beautiful, I marvel at your craftsmanship. Just throwing it at there how much would you want ofr one of theose?

• Options
    Thank you for the welcome & the compliements.... Not sure which hobby is going to put me in to the poor house first....lol Well, these humidors have all been sold - actually, before they even came off the bench...... The Large Bubinga & Ebony went for $750 - which was more than I expected.....but, less than some that I've seen The Tiger Wood & Ebony went for $400.... mainly because the wood was EXPENSIVE on this one.... The Cherry & Kingwood went for $350..... to the same guy who got the Tiger Wood & Ebony one... The Ambrosia Maple, Walnut w/Ebony Trim - I gave that one to a friend of mine..... but, It would have been around $275-$300.... domestic woods are always less expensive. The Bird's Eye Maple & Bolivian Rosewood box that it is still on the bench (got it's first treatment of lacquer last night) - has not been spoken for yet.... But, It'll probably go for around $800.... Taking it around to the shops in Atlanta on Saturday - and will most likely leave it with one of them. They've all sat in the store windows for a while..... I have a couple of shoppes that love to have them around, creates good conversation and gives me a little exposure and a little "clout" inside the lounges.... :) Sounds like a lot of money - but, there's a guy out there getting anywhere from $1700 to $4500 for almost the same thing.... Plus, a lot of work goes in to them. Unlike big furniture, small boxes fall under closer scrutiny and 1/16" error might as well be the grand canyon.... I don't do this for a living - I have followed the sound advice of "don't give up your day job".... so, it takes me about 3 weeks to get them built. Sometimes, more - depending on other things going on. But - I love making them. I also make jewelry boxes, keepsake boxes & flag display cases. But, Humidors are my favorite.... Thanks for asking! I should be able to post a picture of the one coming off the bench Saturday morning.... I'm excited.
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Yeah I went on to your webiste and looked at the one you are currently building. I really like the stone inlay you have on the rim signifying how many you had made prior and where it falls in.