Home Non Cigar Related

What's happening with Canada?

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/canada_bans_the_mask_unlawful_protesters_risk_10_years_in_prison_20130620/

Seems as though Canada is really moving further than the US in terms of speech. Wow almost 10 years for protesting in a mask. Wow! Anyone in Canada know more than this story suggests?

Comments

• bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    I assume this legislation probably came about after G8/G20 meetings held in Toronto. But who, in their right minds, could have thought of arranging two such big meetings right in the centre of the biggest city in their country? And the amount of money that was spent to make it safe...building barriers, gazebos, parks?
    UK, just had one G8 meeting and that meeting was held in Belfast, not in the centre of London..
    So now the Cons want to make sure that this legislation is in place, in case, Canada has to host more G8/G20 meetings - as the Cons would probably want to have those meetings right in the centre of Montreal or in downtown Vancouver.
    Sadly, there are so many examples of cops infiltrating peaceful protests. Eg @ 2:43 of this video, they stage an arrest to 'rescue' 3 cops who were attempting to start violence. After this riot, they admitted it..heck they were still in cop issue combat boots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDbJlWnW-VA
    It is the responsibility of critically thinking citizens to oppose unjust laws such as this and it will undoubtedly be struck down by Supreme Court of Canada. If Canada were to be in the position of having a dictator, which I think we are not far from now, how could citizens show their opposition without risking retaliation as they would be easily identified.
    This is just another ill conceived law by an unthinking self serving undemocratic regime.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    New York has also initiated a new measure called the 'Annoyance law'...which seems to have very similar consequences. This New World Order stuff is certainly a very scary path. Look that one up as well.

The bill, S.2402, was sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R – 47th District) and seeks to make it a felony to annoy a police officer. No joke. Here’s the official language:
    A PERSON IS GUILTY OF AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER WHEN, WITH THE INTENT TO HARASS, ANNOY, THREATEN OR ALARM A PERSON WHOM HE OR SHE KNOWS OR REASONABLY SHOULD KNOW TO BE A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER ENGAGED IN THE COURSE OF PERFORMING HIS OR HER OFFICIAL DUTIES, HE OR SHE STRIKES, SHOVES, KICKS OR OTHERWISE SUBJECTS SUCH PERSON TO PHYSICAL CONTACT. - See more at: http://www.occupy.com/article/new-york-bill-annoying-police-could-soon-land-you-jail#sthash.EovwjqwG.dpuf
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bearb:
    New York has also initiated a new measure called the 'Annoyance law'...which seems to have very similar consequences. This New World Order stuff is certainly a very scary path. Look that one up as well.

The bill, S.2402, was sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R – 47th District) and seeks to make it a felony to annoy a police officer. No joke. Here’s the official language:
    A PERSON IS GUILTY OF AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER WHEN, WITH THE INTENT TO HARASS, ANNOY, THREATEN OR ALARM A PERSON WHOM HE OR SHE KNOWS OR REASONABLY SHOULD KNOW TO BE A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER ENGAGED IN THE COURSE OF PERFORMING HIS OR HER OFFICIAL DUTIES, HE OR SHE STRIKES, SHOVES, KICKS OR OTHERWISE SUBJECTS SUCH PERSON TO PHYSICAL CONTACT. - See more at: http://www.occupy.com/article/new-york-bill-annoying-police-could-soon-land-you-jail#sthash.EovwjqwG.dpuf
    NO ***! You know it's almost like we have no where to go anymore. I mean sure go to south america or something but then you have to worry about the other big countries invading if that is the path to a "world" order. I mean all the major countries anymore are pretty much doing the same thing. Canada which I use to think was better than the US and UK it seems is doing much if not more than the two. Seems as though Europe is going that way, sure some countries will resist but they will eventually fall. Almost seems like the 3rd Reich is alive and well. Soon, maybe a few decades where will we all be. And the scary part is, the majority of people (UK, US) in polls don't care about the spying and surveillance. I mean what does that tell you.

Let's not even begin to talk about the way protesters are being treated. Like you said above, it's horrible. Police in full riot gear (like freaking soldiers on a battlefield) treat citizens like the enemy. The stuff with occupy wall street here in the states was horrible. and yet no outcry from the people over it. Anyone who speaks out against the govt is targeted as a traitor and even if they don't live in our country they get busted (julian assange). Makes me wonder, what is worse I mean someone who exposes these crimes or the person who exposed it get's the punishment. And where are the people on this? I haven't seen polls yet on this snowden thing but if the majority says he's a traitor then we are really ****. Maybe that will change but I have seen a huge shift down a dark road over the last 30 years and I really don't see it getting better.