Home General Discussion
Options

Preferred Method

Hey guys, Just out of curiosity, what is ya'lls preferred method of cutting the holes in your cigars. I have a double blade cheapo due to the fact I am a newbe, but, I am in the market. I found a pack with about three Cohiba cigars and a Xikar cutter for $60. Is this a good deal or would I be better off with a xikar punch? I usually gravitate to a Churchill or Robusto if that makes a difference. Also, I need a bigger humidor. I have a really nice black leather with white stitching zippered travel case (20 cigars, I think). Should I keep it and buy a humidor or should I try to trade it for a 50-75 cigar humidor? Thanks for all of you opinions.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I like a double guillotine myself, I prefer the wider opening it makes. A punch is a good option too though, I'd recommend looking into one that creates a large gauge hole as opposed to the standard. I think the hardest part a lot of people have with a double blade cutter is cutting off too much of the cap and causing the cigar to unravel, and it does take a bit of practice to get it down. I always like to take a bit of care with my cut, I'll place the cutter over the cigar and carefully position it so that the cut I make will be even, not crooked, and the amount I cut off is roughly the thickness of a dime, those two practices keep 95% of my cigars intact with no unraveling issues, sometimes a cap is just not applied very well and no matter what you do it is bound to have problems, I've even had it happen with a punch where a crack forms in the cap and the whole thing comes apart....like anything hand-made, there is likely to be a margin for error/malfunction. With whatever you choose, buying a reputable brand will give you good results.
  • Options
    I read an article today that said to set the cutter flat on the table and rest the cigar through the hole and touching the table, then cut fast. I tried it and it worked perfectly. It took off more of the head than I usually do, but it allowed for a really smooth draw. I don't know, it might be worth a try if you guys see fit.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    j0z3r:
    ....like anything hand-made, there is likely to be a margin for error/malfunction. With whatever you choose, buying a reputable brand will give you good results.
    I own a Xikar Xi3 and both the Xikar 007 and 008 punches. Most of the time I use the Xi3, but I've found that I like to punch some cigars. (especially padrons)
  • Options
    Smokin' Jim:
    I read an article today that said to set the cutter flat on the table and rest the cigar through the hole and touching the table, then cut fast. I tried it and it worked perfectly. It took off more of the head than I usually do, but it allowed for a really smooth draw. I don't know, it might be worth a try if you guys see fit.
    I've done this myself on occasion with success
  • Options
    I've used that method as well, it is useful. Once you get the hang of the cutter, however, you don't need to rely on a table to give you a steady cut, it comes more or less naturally. Except with Padrons, like Brandon mentioned, they can have some questionable caps sometimes, though I've had more good cuts than unraveled wrappers...like I said, margin of error/malfunction.
  • Options
    so if the Xikar is a good cutter, is the Cohiba a cigar good enough to buy in this bundle?
  • Options
    I've come to appreciate the Cohiba cigars I've smoked. I think I like the XV the most. If I'm not mistaken (which the way things are going tonight is highly likely) theres an XV in that bundle, along with a Red Dot and a Black.
  • Options
    Smokin' Jim:
    is the Cohiba a cigar good enough to buy in this bundle?
    It depends. For me, I would say no, but that is simply because they don't really appeal to my tastes, you may think differently of them. On a different line of thought, a Xikar cutter is going to cost you at least half the cost of that bundle, possibly more depending on the cutter model, so you'd essentially be getting both at a discounted price over retail of the components, in that case it might be worth it to give it a shot and possibly find a new cigar to add to your humidor.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate and value your opinions & insight. Have a great night.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    It depends on what I am smoking. I usually try a punch but sometimes a punch is still too tight. So, then I'll move to either a V cut or a dual blade. If the cigar is really small sometimes I just use the dual blade because the punch might be too big for the cigar. Also, punches have more of a tendency to give you tar buildup.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I tried using a punch, but I'm a bit of a clutz and screw it up every time. Not saying it's bad, just not good for me. I use a fully stainless steel double bladed guillotine, I don't know the brand, but it's been great for almost 2 years now. I also collect antique cutters from many moons ago.
  • Options
    ryanbishryanbish Posts: 10
    I have a Tiger torch lighter that has two different gauge punches on the bottom which pop out and come in handy. This way I don't have to worry about losing a keychain punch (which recently happened to me), or carrying around a separate cutting tool. Occasionally I do run into some unraveling as the cap cracks a little, but 90% of the time it's a pretty reliable tool.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    I know its weird, but try licking or moistening or whatever the cap before you punch (or cut for that matter) - I have found it to be a better practice if you want to keep cracks away and/or have good cuts. Reasoning behind it - the elasticity of the cap is improved by the moisture (think dry leave versus not as dry leave) and the cap is more pliable.... Anyway... I used to like punch, but after I got the Xi2 - cutting is all I have been doing... It gives me a better opening and better draw most times.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    you can get a nice Xikar cutter on Amazon about $20 cheaper than most online cigar stores. Xikar is probably the only cutter I would even bother getting.

"Long ashes my friends."