Home Non Cigar Related

Reflections on the 4th 2013

A couple glasses of Napolean Brandy and a fine San Lotano Oval Later I decided to start this rabbit Trail:
Our town has an old fashioned 4th of July parade and a day in the park followed by a very good fireworks display with concert on the green. I chose to remain home today in part because Treva is working at her private care job. I should have been in the parade. My organization is represented in it. Just no heart for it today. Not like the past. Look around you at a sporting event and watch the people during the playing of the National Anthem. You will know who served this country from the rest.
The top of the Washington Monument, The capstone has an inscription that says :"LAUS DEO" which means "Praise be to God". The Virginia earthquake of 2011 cracked the structure. which I feel symbolizes the split God has made to the US. We were founded under the principals of the creator and today?
I will probably remain here in my house occasionally making snyde remarks on the forum and perhaps enjoying a spirit with a good stogie. Saturday I provide security on my motorcycle for Bicycle racers in the Firecracker 100 here in the county. But today I chill. I hope to hear from you'all on your 4th celebration. I will again celebrate when this land once again honors those who have come before and re-ignited a passion for what our founding fathers stood for. I'm not saying there aren't those who love this country as much or wish it God's speed: For you all a "Thank You"
So have at it and let me know how your day went.

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Wow! You make me seem super lazy lol. I haven't done bunk today. Had several cups of coffee, played some mechwarrior online, and later going to a friends house to eat and drink. Never was into parades or going out and about among a bunch of people on holidays.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I still salute America.
    But not what America has lately become.
    I salute America when it stood for righteousness and liberty!
    When war was a last resort to protect the rights of common folk all over the world!
    When we stood against oppression and the tyrant's of the world!
    When nuclear war was a real and constant threat!
    Today's America has become a shell of it's former glory when justice rang forth!
    Politics.........
    Sadly that is all that remains of a country that was the mightiest on the planet!
    Perhaps one day she shall rise again.
    39 reads and no one has anything to say about our countries founding day?
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    RBeckom:
    35 reads and no one has anything to say about our countries founding day?

Probably guests lookin at the chimps on the other side of the cage.
    pilgrimtex:
    RBeckom:
    35 reads and no one has anything to say about our countries founding day?

Probably guests lookin at the chimps on the other side of the cage.

I think everybody has forgotten exactly what this day represents in the number of lives lost for us to call ourselves free!
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Gentlemen, I have to concur. I love my country, but what it has become as of late is not the country that I grew up in. Granted, I'm still a "pup" who will be turning 42 later this month. Regardless, as a child I remember celebrating the 4th under the concept of remeberance for those who had fought to protect our rights and privileges. Now, it's about who can throw the biggest party or put on the biggest fireworks extraveganza. The parades are a way for those involved to show off a nice car or get their name out into the public.
    What the Hell has happened? Do we no longer have the respect to thank those who have served and are still serving our country? We seem to have become a country divided instead of standing by our neighbors and countrymen to make this, once again, the greatest country on Earth.
    I helped my VFD shoot off fireworks tonight. When I arrived at the fire house I was astounded when several of the members wished me a happy holiday and the went on to thank me for my service. Typically, we light an American flag feature during the finale. Tonight, our Chief made the decision to light it at the beginning of the show and leave it on for the duration. When one of the other members asked why he simply stated, "We have veterans on the hill, show some respect." Thanks, Chief.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    1776 - R.I.P. My Friend
    Toombes:
    Gentlemen, I have to concur. I love my country, but what it has become as of late is not the country that I grew up in. Granted, I'm still a "pup" who will be turning 42 later this month. Regardless, as a child I remember celebrating the 4th under the concept of remeberance for those who had fought to protect our rights and privileges. Now, it's about who can throw the biggest party or put on the biggest fireworks extraveganza. The parades are a way for those involved to show off a nice car or get their name out into the public.
    What the Hell has happened? Do we no longer have the respect to thank those who have served and are still serving our country? We seem to have become a country divided instead of standing by our neighbors and countrymen to make this, once again, the greatest country on Earth.
    I helped my VFD shoot off fireworks tonight. When I arrived at the fire house I was astounded when several of the members wished me a happy holiday and the went on to thank me for my service. Typically, we light an American flag feature during the finale. Tonight, our Chief made the decision to light it at the beginning of the show and leave it on for the duration. When one of the other members asked why he simply stated, "We have veterans on the hill, show some respect." Thanks, Chief.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Agreed! 100%<
  • EHaddockEHaddock Posts: 24
    It does seem things have changed.
    I still work within the DoD as a Contractor and there is a huge difference in how things were when I served versus the situation now. Sometimes I think people are tired or worn out over the whole service idea. When we went to Iraq the first time, desert storm/desert shield, everyone mostly supported the troops. The same happened when we went back for Iraqi Freedom and into Afghanistan and the whole "War on Terror". Now many years later and so much more "Support" our troops pep talks I feel most people are just beginning to see the sales job the Government pulled on us.
    While I think Desert Storm/Desert Shield was done for the right reasons, I think Iraqi Freedom and Afghanistan were pure stupidity. I also think it has worn people out on the whole patriotism thing. 10 years is a long time and hell, most people can't tell you the President's name.
    "I think all persons should wear a sign around their neck that states "Opinions are for entertainmnet purposes only"". - Me
    Mahalo,
    Edward
  • EHaddockEHaddock Posts: 24
    phobicsquirrel:
    Wow! You make me seem super lazy lol. I haven't done bunk today. Had several cups of coffee, played some mechwarrior online, and later going to a friends house to eat and drink. Never was into parades or going out and about among a bunch of people on holidays.

I have that game loaded but just never played it that much. You in a house or freelance?
    Edward