Home General Discussion
Options

Benefits of Cigars.... as seen by me!

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
Well, when I first joined these message boards a month ago, I entered with a lot of questions about health and "how many should I smoke" issues and "how the hell do I take care of this humidor" questions. First, let me take time to thank everyone who has so generously assisted me in entering this community, offered advice, and shared their stories and knowledge with me.

But this thread is mostly to express the benefits that I have seen so far in enjoyment of cigars.

First, I have become much more relaxed at home. My occupation can be extremely tiresome, physically demanding, and mentally taxing. Perhaps this can be said about any good hobby, but it certainly helps me get through my day knowing that I have a fine smoke waiting for me when I get home.

Second, I feel that I have become more patient. Probably an affect from the increase in relaxation that I have experienced. I truly hope that this trend continues as patience is something we can all use a little more of, and with my first child on the way I have a feeling I'm gonna need all of it I can get.

Third, I have begun to really enjoy the deck on my apartment. Before, I rarely ever went out there. Now, I enjoy coffee in the mornings as I kick back with a book with my feet up and enjoy the sunshine.

Fourth, I have a bad habit of purchasing a book, placing it on my bookshelf and not reading it for a year or even two. I have quite a number of books in my possession which I have needed to read and in the last month I have read 4 of them. Put that in your anti-tobacco ads. "Cigar smoking promotes educational enjoyment of literature." I'd love to see a Surgeon General's Warning that said that!

Finally, I've gotten some pretty good use out the internet that I pay for every month by getting on this forum and discussing something I enjoy with like-minded people, which is always healthy.
Again, thanks to everyone here!

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I can relate to all those benefits (except the reading thing) and I've noticed that a crappy day can turn out okay with a big puff of smoke at the end of the tunnel...

NOT a benefit = My wallet is lighter!!!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Lasabar:
    I can relate to all those benefits (except the reading thing) and I've noticed that a crappy day can turn out okay with a big puff of smoke at the end of the tunnel...

That could be a benefit Lassy ...less strain on the back carrying around a big fat heavy biifold !!!
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Lasabar:

That could be a benefit Lassy ...less strain on the back carrying around a big fat heavy biifold !!!
    My girlfriend isn't too happy that she's not the cause of my perfect health back
  • Options
    Well, thankfully I've fancied several cigars that don't cost a lot of money, so it's been pretty good to my wallet. Plus, I used to smoke cigarettes. That was an expensive habit. Cigars are pennies on the dollar compared to cigs.
  • Options
    andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    Great post on the lesser known benefits!!!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto to everything you said. I've experienced the exact same thing. Since picking up cigars again, I have become more relaxed and my wife says I'm better to live with. I spend time out on my patio, talking to my son, who also enjoys cigars or spending time with my wife. It gives us a chance to chat and she does not mind my smoking at all, although I do make sure the smoke does not blow in her direction. Thanks for you input!
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I have to admit, I picked up a book (for pleasure) for the first time in a long time since I becan enjoying cigars. Many nights I spend out on the front porch listening to the all the woodland sound around me, a nice cigar, something to drink, and a decent book. Very, very relaxing.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    For there isn't anything else more relaxing for me than sitting outside on my deck having a Jack and Coke and smoking a nice cigar listening to the sounds of a warm GA summer's night.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    The stress release factor is the biggest plus for me. I also have a high stress job and to come home, pour a nice glass of bourbon, and light one of my favorite cigars on the balcony helps make the tension just melt away. We live just north of a small airport with several WWII era planes stationed there and many afternoons and evenings I get to sit and watch the old B-24, Corsair, P-51 and a few other various fighter planes from the era come in to land. That is always a nice experience to sit and watch those war birds of old while remembering the members of the "Greatest Generation" and all they sacraficed for us.

I have to also say that this board and the wonderful members here are a huge benefit for me. There are a ton of great people here and I think it speaks highly of our little community that this week was the first time EVER that Ccom has had to try to ban a member. I count myself lucky to know you all.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    The stress release factor is the biggest plus for me. I also have a high stress job and to come home, pour a nice glass of bourbon, and light one of my favorite cigars on the balcony helps make the tension just melt away. We live just north of a small airport with several WWII era planes stationed there and many afternoons and evenings I get to sit and watch the old B-24, Corsair, P-51 and a few other various fighter planes from the era come in to land. That is always a nice experience to sit and watch those war birds of old while remembering the members of the "Greatest Generation" and all they sacraficed for us.

I have to also say that this board and the wonderful members here are a huge benefit for me. There are a ton of great people here and I think it speaks highly of our little community that this week was the first time EVER that Ccom has had to try to ban a member. I count myself lucky to know you all.

...Did somebody say WWII planes?!?! I love old planes, the sound of the engines, the mehcanics, the designs, the engineering, the sweet pin-up nose art. Sometimes I think I must have lived in that time and died and come back to here and now. If I could do anything in the world, I would fly. There is just something about an old school dog fight.

Are there any P-38's over there, Puro?

Here in Utah, we have the Hill Air Force Base that has a pretty decent collection of both new and old planes. But I can't get enough of the WWII's, or even old Biplanes... The Red Baren! HA!

P.S. I apologize if I derailed the thread.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31:
    PuroFreak:

...Did somebody say WWII planes?!?! I love old planes, the sound of the engines, the mehcanics, the designs, the engineering, the sweet pin-up nose art. Sometimes I think I must have lived in that time and died and come back to here and now. If I could do anything in the world, I would fly. There is just something about an old school dog fight.

Here in Utah, we have the Hill Air Force Base that has a pretty decent collection of both new and old planes. But I can't get enough of the WWII's, or even old Biplanes... The Red Baren! HA!

To attenuate the derailing..... last week we were working out on the flightline and an old, chromed out B-25 Mitchell with the glass gunner nose came rolling down the taxiway. We all just stopped in awe of the thing as it puttered past us. Beautiful bird. Someone did a hell of a job restoring that thing!
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    PuroFreak:

I know what you mean, I LOVE old war birds. I'm not sure if they have a P-38 thought. I haven't seen one in the air, but they do have a flight museum there so they might have one in it. My wife and I are planning on going there to check it out so I will let you know. They have air shows pretty often and they bring in a B-17 from somewhere else that I LOVE to see flying around. My grandfather was a B-17 pilot in WWII and those are such awesome planes. He flew in the big bombing campaign of Berlin and all over Italy and many many more. I've got his journal from the war and it was really interesting to read. My mother also has some great photos from the bomb sights of his plane and a chunk of flak that came through the floor right next to his foot.
  • Options
    4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    I'll agree with all the benefits you have listed except I haven't taken the time to sit down with a book yet. To me Cigars are like liquor best spent with friends. Sitting smoking a cigar and sipping on some beverage with a couple good friends is about as close to ideal as I can get.
  • Options
    First I want to say hello to everyone. This is my first post but I have been reading the forums for about a month. I have learned quite a bit from all your knowledge. I am a beginner to the whole cigar smaking scene and so far I agree with all the benefits everyone stated. I definitely am more relaxed as well as patient since I have been enjoying cigars.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome greg ...now report to the newbie welcoming thread and come in thru the front door ...enjoy your stay lotta great guys here ...
  • Options
    For me the benefits are ... i would have to agree..... I am generally more relaxed in my daily life. I look forward to work now, I can have an after work vacation, and after work I now have more money to buy more mini vacations.
    I joined a social network i.e the fourm(never bothered before)
    I learned how to code and deploy a web site.Brushing up on my writing skills because of the web site. Learned a thing or two about themoelectics due to my vino temp.
    learned how to raise tobacco plants, some building skills came along with that(curing chamber)
    Learned how to enjoy the flavor of things not just cigars and really focus on whats going on.
    Became closer to my long time neighbor who is also a cigar smoker.
    have some new heroes .ie don pepin.
    I have a hobbie to fill those dog dangling days
    <DRAWBACKS..i have a lot less money ahah