Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Who would I call to get storm drain cleared?

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
So I'm at an impasse, I have a storm drain in my backyard that is no longer effective because over the years dirt has flowed there and has the front almost all the way blocked off. There's even some big healthy plants growing in front of the friggin drain. Since this will need to be dug out with something like a backhow (and I am not renting one) I have a question. Who would you guys call? I am thinking a landscape service, but am wondering if I am overshadowing someone who would specialize in this (and be cheaper)

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm .... are you within "city limits"? Is it a municipal storm drain that feeds into the storm water system?
    If so I'd be inclined to think the the city's responsible for cleaning it out.

Call the city or whoever you pay your water/sewer bill to and see what they say.

If not, and you're stuck paying for it look up plumbing companies;a company like Roto-Rooter may be able to do it.
    If not they probably know someone who does....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    jgibv:
    Hmm .... are you within "city limits"? Is it a municipal storm drain that feeds into the storm water system?

Call the city or whoever you pay your water/sewer bill to and see what they say.

If not, and you're stuck paying for it look up plumbing companies;a company like Roto-Rooter may be able to do it.
    No, We had it put in ourselves since we sit at a low point of the neighborhood and it transfers water from our yard across the street into a natural revine with a creek
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I would try somewhere like Roto-Rooter too or something that does drains and pipes for homes. If they can't I'm sure they know who can. They have been my go to with drainage problems.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    I think I would try somewhere like Roto-Rooter too or something that does drains and pipes for homes. If they can't I'm sure they know who can. They have been my go to with drainage problems.
    Roto Rooter would be my choice too. I have needed to use a service for a similar problem and found them to be fair and effective. Plus they tell you up front what the cost will be. Also, go online and get a coupon for a discount, less money spent is good. If it is more costly than you wish to spend right now, they finance. Check them out.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    jgibv:

No, We had it put in ourselves since we sit at a low point of the neighborhood and it transfers water from our yard across the street into a natural revine with a creek
    Is the company that put it in for you still around? Or am I reading that wrong and you did the work yourselves?
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    It is obvious that you did not build it with enough of a slope. Hence, the sediment is staying on your end. Get a pressure washer and start working it from your end. If you can get it to clear, and flow, just keep feeding water into it until the sediment has reached the ravine. In the future, run a hose down it periodically to keep the sediment from building up.
  • Options
    StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    beatnic:
    It is obvious that you did not build it with enough of a slope. Hence, the sediment is staying on your end. Get a pressure washer and start working it from your end. If you can get it to clear, and flow, just keep feeding water into it until the sediment has reached the ravine. In the future, run a hose down it periodically to keep the sediment from building up.
    I think you hit the nail on the head!! It's not to expensive to rent an Industrial pressure washer. You wouldn't want to try with a department store cheapie.
    To add to beatnics idea you may have to work the pressure washer from both ends. If you start on the creek end you may break it apart easier, and not cause a flood in your yard