Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Advil

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
One week ago today, I was playing handball as usual, planted my foot hard as usual, heard a sound exactly like a kid popping his bubble gum, felt a searing pain in my left knee, and immediately lost all strength there. Looked down, the tendon that attaches to the top of my kneecap was curled up in a hard knot at the top of the kneecap. What an adventure trying to get the motorcycle home. Jesus.

RICE and NSAIDs ensued.

Rented a car for our annual trip to Tidioute for the PBR, cause I knew I could never keep the bike upright that long with Bearswatter on pillion.

But now here we are a week later, and even though I can bend the thing, loads of progress, and the hard knot has 2/3s subsided, there's still no strength to speak of. I am thoroughly hobbled. So today I have to bite the bullet and call off my annual camping ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway. This bites. I love that place. Adore it. Johnny Sotweedseed has to sit this one out.

You know what doesn't work out? What doesn't work out worth a hill of beans is when you have the insane competitive attitude that makes you play at 110%, but you have zero athletic ability to make you succeed if you do play 110%. Cause then you get these same sports injuries as an athlete, but you are never any darn good at it anyway.

I hate being laid up. Sweat is the salt of life.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Damn, Davis! Sorry to hear about this, my friend. Here's hoping you recover swiftly and completely. If there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to call.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear brother.

Your story makes me miss home though. I need to get back to the Blue Ridge soon.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    eek... well for those athletically challenged there are video games. best of all you don't get hurt, unless a finger sprain or something (no laughing matter mind you, I play so much at times my hand aches). But in the sports realm I suck at b-ball but I have a few friends that play so I humor them. I really do suck but I try. However most sports I'm good or at least decent at but I hate getting hurt while doing them.
  • Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    That sucks man. When I was in school we had to watch videos of sports injuries; people blowing out mcl, acl, pcl, patellar tendon etc. It was not fun to watch! Did you see a doc? Surgery for them is gruesome to watch as well... Good luck with your rehab period, and get some rest!