Home General Discussion
Options

AJ San Miguel Vs Gurkha San Miguel

VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone had both of them yet. I had the AJ a while back with close to a year on it and it was good+. I was just wondering if the $2 a stick for the new ones are even worth the try/gamble/frustration/itsstillagurkha...

Comments

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I always wondered if there was a type or maybe AJ made it for Gurkha or maybe even sold it to Gurkha.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ???????
    Gurkha's involved with the San Miguel? I must have missed that.

Drat! And they smoked so well!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did this happen? I picked up a mazo last month from the beard, I was under the impression that these were being discontinued, I also thought these were one of AJ's. Have I been Gurkha'ed Again? Haven't tried any yet but now I have to wonder if I added more pryotecs to the humi, ah well LAL I guess.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    My understanding was that Gurkha owned the San Miguel name. I had thought AJ had sold the remaining stock to Gurkha to avoid legal issues. Could be wrong.

Edit: From the mouth of the Beard

Drew: A forum question for you. Gurkha San Miguel is the same as AJ San Miguel?

Beard: One in the same. Gurkha owns and distributes, AJ blended and produced it.

Drew: Are they still in production?

Beard: No, but we love the blend and are currently exploring options on bringing it back somehow.

Tim also mentioned Cigar.com has them instock currently if any one would like them email service @ cigar.com
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I've always wanted to give these a try. I didn't know til a couple months ago that it was an AJ blend or I'd have gotten some before they went out of production. And seems like Everytime they come up with some for sale it's wrong timing.
  • Options
    Hmmm... The site I saw them on said "New San Miguel from Gurkha"....ill have to find it again.
  • Options
    I guess it used to be under AJs name but now there is no mention of him....HMMM odd. Plot thickens
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    My understanding was that Gurkha owned the San Miguel name. I had thought AJ had sold the remaining stock to Gurkha to avoid legal issues. Could be wrong.

Edit: From the mouth of the Beard

Drew: A forum question for you. Gurkha San Miguel is the same as AJ San Miguel?

Beard: One in the same. Gurkha owns and distributes, AJ blended and produced it.

Drew: Are they still in production?

Beard: No, but we love the blend and are currently exploring options on bringing it back somehow.

Tim also mentioned Cigar.com has them instock currently if any one would like them email service @ cigar.com
    Well that does make me feel better. I don't mind takeing a chance on a stick I haven't tried, just not when I know the odds are no better than 50/50
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Vision:
    Hmmm... The site I saw them on said "New San Miguel from Gurkha"....ill have to find it again.
    I remember seeing that! Believe it or not a lot of sticks are made by other companies for Gurkha. The Tarano's come to mind. Can't remember where I saw this though...
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Vision:
    I remember seeing that! Believe it or not a lot of sticks are made by other companies for Gurkha. The Tarano's come to mind. Can't remember where I saw this though...
    Gurkha doesn't have a factory of their own all of their sticks are made at various factories.
    Rocky Patel use to be the same way, but he at least settled down and has his own factory.
    This is why Gurkha is so inconsistant dozens of different factories making 100s of different brands and no centralized quality control. San Migel is solid because we all know AJ has strick quality standards. I heard a lot of the brands Gurkha has are developed ahead of time by a factory and they will set out 20 blends for Kiaser to try and then he agrees to buy into sticks and brands them under the Gurkha brand, thus a new line is born.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    To thicken the plot a bit further, wasn't there a rumor that the San Miguel was the original AJ Fernandez Signature but was just rebanded/rebranded? I think there was some sort of legal reason AJ couldn't use the AJ Fernandez Signature name at one point which is why those went away.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    And I will say that it was a few years for me between smoking an AJ Signature and a San Miguel, but going on memory they did seem similar to me. Anyway, I like em even if Gurkha is the one distributing them, as long as they don't put the Gurkha markup on them now.
  • Options
    jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Heavy:
    Anyway, I like em even if Gurkha is the one distributing them, as long as they don't put the Gurkha markup on them now.
    MSRP $499.99 per stick but you can get this 5-er for $19.99.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Heavy:
    To thicken the plot a bit further, wasn't there a rumor that the San Miguel was the original AJ Fernandez Signature but was just rebanded/rebranded? I think there was some sort of legal reason AJ couldn't use the AJ Fernandez Signature name at one point which is why those went away.
    I have some of the original AJ Fernandez Signature and some original release San Miguel, I should smoke then both this weekend to compare.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    JGKAMIN:
    Heavy:
    Anyway, I like em even if Gurkha is the one distributing them, as long as they don't put the Gurkha markup on them now.
    LOL
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    JGKAMIN:
    Heavy:
    LOL
    HAHAH
    Now that's a deal!!!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *