Home General Discussion
Options

AJ Overruns - (edited to add pic)

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
Got a bundle of Coronas today...... would like some opinions of what they might be. Size appears to be 40 or maybe 42 x 5". (used that cool Cigar Rings app on my phone) Wrapper is dark (Maduro?) Nice looking solid stick but I cant find any AJ that might match.

They probably arent Puros (no pigtail) and might be Diesel but again I cant find any size that might fit. Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Pic added for color and size..... left = Diesel UHC, middle = AJ Overrun, right = Beuso Genesis Robusto

Comments

• Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Some will swear that they are the San Lotano cigars while others are saying they are what they are...an overrun on current supplies that didn't make the A grade. They don't call them seconds for a reason because the overrun on a specific cigar is hard to track. Manufacturing does this all the time and in any business there will always be an overrun of supplies and when it doesn't make the "first run" grade it gets pushed as a second/overrun. It would be nice if they specified what 'run' it came from but then there would be more scrutiny as to what "run" it was from. Cutting waste is something that any business will try to control and what better way to cut costs than by selling "waste material" that would otherwise be thrown out. Not that seconds are "waste" but it isn't a quality first run order...sometimes they have blems or are too short, light or too dark....or any other issues that don't merit quality grade.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Diesel corona is 5x42. Kinda looks like that to me from the pic, but who knows.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    A couple of banded ones for comparison:

• Options
    Well whatever they are the first one (ROTT) was a tasty powerhouse. Tons of flavor. Kind of seemed like a Diesel to me but my taste buds arent that good. Glad I got them and sure cant beat the price.

• Options
    jswaykosjswaykos Posts: 53
    Cigary:
    Some will swear that they are the San Lotano cigars while others are saying they are what they are...an overrun on current supplies that didn't make the A grade. They don't call them seconds for a reason because the overrun on a specific cigar is hard to track. Manufacturing does this all the time and in any business there will always be an overrun of supplies and when it doesn't make the "first run" grade it gets pushed as a second/overrun. It would be nice if they specified what 'run' it came from but then there would be more scrutiny as to what "run" it was from. Cutting waste is something that any business will try to control and what better way to cut costs than by selling "waste material" that would otherwise be thrown out. Not that seconds are "waste" but it isn't a quality first run order...sometimes they have blems or are too short, light or too dark....or any other issues that don't merit quality grade.
    ----------- This is exactly what I've always thought the overruns were. "Extra" tobacco from who-knows-what blends, but probably a collection of many of them. Perfectly usable tobacco, just not as part of the 'recipe' for the flavor profile of a given cigar. So you get 'mystery' cigars that may taste similar to something, or may not. But you don't have to pay anything close to a steep price, so you get what you get. There will always be those that SWEAR it's a San Lotano or Pinolero or whatever, but it just isn't. Could be close to one since it has those components, but if it was ACTUALLY, say, a San Lotano Habano, they'd label it as such and sell it for three times the price. It's just business. Also just my opinion.
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    5x42 is a very common AJ size. It's not advertised, but you'll find an official, banded 5x42 for nearly every AJ blend out there. I have probably 30+ coronas in that size from his La Herencia Cubana, La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte,La Herencia Dos Capas, La Herencia Cubana Core, 5V AAA, Morro Castle, MoW, MoW Ruination, MoW Virtue, MoW Armada, Diesel Unlimited, Diesel Maduro and more...

You'll have to guess to figure out which one out of all of those potential blends you have.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    It is a 'guess' for sure and like the BOTL said after my post there are "tobaccos" used from a plethora of cuttings from good cigars and then combined to create that "overrun" series of tobaccos. They have to be careful as to how it's marketed in advertising so they use the words and phrases that just tickle us to no end..."Made in the Oliva Factory.... " and I can remember when the Puros Heurfanos 681 was out that people at DE...who shall remain nameless swore up and down it was the LP#9 only they were labeled with the PH name...all of the vitolas were 'supposed' LP and I bought a buttload of the 681's and still have a few boxes of them that are now 2 years old going on 3 and I smoke a lot of LP#9's....these are about as close to the first line that you will ever smoke and they discontinued them not long after I bought as many as my credit card allowed me. I know the person who works at DE and when he says what he said about them...it's gold! For those who smoke a lot of cigars and know the brand by heart are those who can tell you what is an overrun...what is a 'second' and what is BS. The AJ Fernandez brand makes some very good cigars and when they were making the AJ Fernandez Signature that was a diamond in the rough...that cigar made me sit up and take notice and once again I bought all I could find because they discontinued those as well and that almost made me weep...can't find any of them anywhere and that cigar at a year old was as good as any cigar out there.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    This makes a lot of sense. I bought a mazo of torpedos, couldn't figure it out to quite match to anything. Pretty good smokes, though.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    Thats my guess to. Looks to thin for a 50 gage. Sure you used the ring gage thingy right. Got to pull it down till the cigar just completely covers it.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Heavy:
    Thats my guess to. Looks to thin for a 50 gage. Sure you used the ring gage thingy right. Got to pull it down till the cigar just completely covers it.
    It is like 40 or 42 Ring. Based on my phone app and based on other coronas I have. Not sure what it is but I really like them. Had 2 so far.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    Rhamlin:
    Heavy:
    It is like 40 or 42 Ring. Based on my phone app and based on other coronas I have. Not sure what it is but I really like them. Had 2 so far.
    Good deal that's all that really matters anyways. I've always been shy of ordering them. Don't know why, I love pretty much anything AJ has.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    5x42 is a very common AJ size. It's not advertised, but you'll find an official, banded 5x42 for nearly every AJ blend out there. I have probably 30+ coronas in that size from his La Herencia Cubana, La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte,La Herencia Dos Capas, La Herencia Cubana Core, 5V AAA, Morro Castle, MoW, MoW Ruination, MoW Virtue, MoW Armada, Diesel Unlimited, Diesel Maduro and more...

You'll have to guess to figure out which one out of all of those potential blends you have.
    This. He has two corona samplers on sale, each with 5, and that's not even the extent of it. But from the color it looks a lot like a diesel.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.